Gameboy Modding!
This group is for people who enjoy modding Gameboys of every kind. Feel free to post your Gameboy mods here!
Gameboy Modding!
Gameboy Modding!

Cartridge Modding

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jayro
  • Start date Start date
  • Views Views 95
  • Replies Replies 4
  • Likes Likes 4

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Joined
Jul 23, 2012
Messages
15,418
Solutions
2
Reaction score
21,148
Trophies
7
Location
WA State
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
22,316
Country
United States
Post your cartridge mods!

Using some light soldering, and a spare GBA SP plastic lens, I managed to make a slimmed down Pokemon Pinball with a blue LED light replacing the rumble motor, and no longer requires a AAA battery in the cartridge.

20210406_034209.jpg 20210406_034149.jpg



I also reflash GBC and GBA repro carts with my own homebrew software, and have custom labels made from stickeryou.com:

20210422_124435.jpg
 
Last edited by Jayro,
Just got my stickers in today from Etsy. They're flawless repro stickers. I used Pokemon Ruby bootleg carts for their red shells, and 32MB Kingdom Hearts repro cart PCBs to flash the PC-modded versions of DOOM and DOOM 2 to these carts. (Red blood, PC textures, etc.) They sadly rely on batteries for saving, but I'd be really excited if someone made these ROMs flash-saving compatible.

20211101_163313.jpg
 
Made some Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons repros for the GBA from (almost) scratch.

20211022_140400.jpg


So here's the process of how I made these:

1.) I ordered the cartridges off AliExpress in these colors, as pictured.
2.) I also ordered some Pokemon Emerald repro carts for another project.
3.) The Pokemon Repro carts don't come with a soldered battery, so I swapped the PCB boards from those into the Zelda Oracle shells, and screwed them back together.
4.) I first download and patch the GBC ROMs with the "GBA shop" patch, each. That way the shop in the game that requires a GBA to enter is always open.
5.) After patching the ROMs, I then open up Lesserkuma's Goomba Color fork that has flash saving support, and export the GBC games as GBA ROMs, with proper headers. (AGES and SEASONS, respectively)
6.) I then open up FlashGBX (also by Lesserkuma) and flash the GBA ROMs to the batteryless cartridges using my GBxCart RW v1.3 cartridge flasher (from InsideGadgets.com).
7.) I play test each one, and make sure they save and load the games properly. SUCCESS!

These are for my personal collection, just like the DOOM cartridges I made above. I just really wanted them to last a long time without the need for save batteries. I'm making as many game carts as I can that won't require save batteries for my personal collection, as I really dislike having to replace the batteries in cartridges.
 
Here is a homebrew cartridge I made that shows different pride and gender flags. Made it using GB Studio 2. Has a holographic sticker label.

I sell it on my Etsy store, and people can request any missing flags they want added at no additional cost.


20211004_222952.jpg



Screenshot_20211004-225509_Gallery.jpg
 
  • Like
Reactions: Flame
I make LED-lit cartridges now. Made to order, and just $5 on top of the cartridge price. Works great for both cartridge types.

Shell colors are Clear, Crystal Blue, or Black for GBC, but for GBA I have Clear, Clear Red, Clear Green, and Clear Blue. (Third-gen Pokemon shell colors)

For LED colors I have Red, Green, Blue, White, and Pink.

Pink LEDs look fantastic in the clear shells.20220425_025450.jpg

20220425_025439.jpg20220425_045951.jpg20220425_045902.jpg20220425_045932.jpg20220418_225749.jpg20220418_230520.jpg20220418_225825.jpg20220418_233955.jpg
 

Group statistics

Group owner:
Jayro
Members:
326
Threads:
38
Messages:
163
Photos:
6

Site & Scene News

New Hot Discussed User Submitted