1. masagrator

OP masagrator The patches guy

Poland
    I want to record some videos, but everything I tried results in constant 60 FPS output. What tools do you use to capture video in variable framerate? Settings, etc.

2. jurai

jurai GBAtemp Fan

I'm assuming the switch outputs at 60hz over HDMI, your capture device isn't gonna be aware that the underlying software on the switch itself is operating at various levels of framerate performance

3. masagrator

Poland
    Then Digital Foundry videos wouldn't be possible. They bought capture hardware mod later.
    First I need to find tool that doesn't force CFR when recording to check it. So OBS Studio is out of question.

For now I now VLC is supporting capturing VFR, but it may not synchronize well with video input.

Last edited by masagrator, Dec 4, 2019
  4. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    Why would you want to capture things that way?

Still there are filters to drop duplicate frames ( http://avisynth.nl/index.php/Category:Duplicate_Frame_Detectors ) or note their existence/effect ( http://avisynth.nl/index.php/ApparentFPS ) after the fact. I don't know how exact they will be in this case as that can trouble some detectors when a bit of noise or jitter or something gets involved.

As far as capturing goes then I am not sure anything really goes in for capturing VFR unless it is actually VFR (still something of a rarity, though more common than it was thanks to various things with sync in the name) and not just the output of a fixed rate device that will broadcast whatever is in its buffer even if it is the same as before.

5. masagrator

Poland
    To measure FPS in output video.

6. kwnage

kwnage Member
    Newcomer

Germany
    I'm quite sure they don't measure fps and frame time on consoles via VFR... it should work by detecting duplicate frames.

7. hippy dave

hippy dave BBMB

United Kingdom
    Yeah as the others have said, I'm pretty sure the Switch will output a regular 60Hz video signal, if you want to see how many frames it's actually drawing per second you'll have to check for dupes.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Capturing, framerate, variable