Can't search through windows/explorer in windows 10

Kanakops

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Hi, i'm getting a little bit desesperate with my problem, I don't know if it's the good place to ask but here is the thing

When I press the windows logo i'm supposed to be able to search anything like programs/folders ect. It's not working anymore, I can't even see what i'm writing and no search bar are in my screen.
When I go on the explorer (windows+e) and I want to use the top right bar to search, I can't even click it for searching stuff.

I don't even know why I have this problem, I did nothing special that day except maybe trying to play higurashi in fullscreen mode with alt+enter or f11 (and it didn't worked)

What should I do ? I don't really want to do the update for 20hX nor reinstall windows completly but they are my last options

Edit : Ok I just format my pc, if you have the solution you can post it for people who have this problem but in my side I don't need it anymore

Last edited by Kanakops,

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
Without knowing what kinds of things you've done to the system, we don't have much to go on. If you ran some sort of debloat script or whatever, it's possible it disabled the search function since many regard it as unnecessary. It's also possible you got some sort of malware. I've never heard of any disabling the search, but malware will implement all kinds of evasion tactics, so it's not outside the realm of possibility. If this just happened absolutely randomly with no interaction from you, I'd wager a recent update caused the problem. But like I said, we'd need more information from you in order to pinpoint any cause.

Reactions: Kanakops

Kanakops

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Without knowing what kinds of things you've done to the system, we don't have much to go on. If you ran some sort of debloat script or whatever, it's possible it disabled the search function since many regard it as unnecessary. It's also possible you got some sort of malware. I've never heard of any disabling the search, but malware will implement all kinds of evasion tactics, so it's not outside the realm of possibility. If this just happened absolutely randomly with no interaction from you, I'd wager a recent update caused the problem. But like I said, we'd need more information from you in order to pinpoint any cause.

I think I got this problem a little bit after doing the "intel" update on windows update

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
It's possible. Windows 10 is broken by updates constantly. It's why if I ever spin it up on a machine, I install build 2004. So far, updates haven't broken anything I've put that on. Relatively speaking, at least. I'd go so far as to say that 10 is just barely more stable than Vista, so I try to avoid it as best to my ability. If you have an Intel/AMD system, you might wanna consider Linux should you face anymore problems that lead you to having to format the system. Nvidia users are kinda boned right now, unfortunately, but Intel and AMD systems run swimmingly well on Linux.

Benja81

GBATemp Sporaddict
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One thing to check is that file indexing is turned on. I do know that search will not work as expected if file indexing is turned off. Sounds like the problem Kanakops was having was a bit more involved than that, but its still a good place to start. If you have a SSD though, file indexing is not a good idea because it results in excessive read/writes to the drive.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Tandem even
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i think i heard of that, it's a good idea, shouldn't need a dedicated GPU just to run a LLM or video upscaling
    even the nvidia shield tv has AI video upscaling
    LLMs can be run on cpu anyway but it's quite slow
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Have you ever been beaten by a wet spaghetti noodle by your girlfriend because she has a twin sister, and you got confused and fucked her dad?
    I had a girlfriend who had a twin sister and they would mess with me constantly.... Until one chipped a tooth then finally I could tell them apart.... Lol
    They would have the same hair style the same clothes everything... Really messed with my head lol
    @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to maybe close the gap a bit with Nvidia. Plus it would kinda put Nvidia at a future disadvantage since Nvidia can't make X86/64 CPUs? Intel and AMD licensing issues... I wonder how much that has held back innovation.
    i don't think nvidia wants to get in the x64 cpu market anyways
    you've seen how much intel is struggling getting into the gpu market
    and nvidia is already doing ARM
    i don't think they want to take more focus away from their gpus
    Yeah I think Nvidia s future lays in AI GPU acceleration stuff if they can get that going it's going to be super interesting in the long term
    AI assisted game creation might become a thing
    At least that's something I think would be pretty cool.
    Don some VR glasses and gloves and talk to the computer and paint entire worlds
    "OK Cortana I want that mountain a little taller and more snow on top, and I would like some random ancient pine forest around the bottom"
    "Now we need a spring fed river flowing down the north side and add some wild life appropriate for the biome"
    Many TBs of assets and the programming of something like that is going to be tough but I think it's something we might see in 20 years maybe sooner
    @Psionic Roshambo AI assisted game creation is kinda already here, there was recently that AI that can turn any 2D image into a fully modeled 3D object, it's not perfect, but it's a starting point, beats starting from zero
    before that there was one to generate a fully modeled scene from a 2D image
    but most recently, there was one that actually generates a working unity scene with terrain and textures already set up that you can import right into unity, that's a huge time saver right there
    and using LLMs to generate NPC dialogue and even dynamically generated quests is something i'm sure is already happening
    will just take some time for games made using those things to be completed and released
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: will just take some time for games made using those things to be completed and released