Can't find my drive chipset version

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by gergwii, Dec 3, 2008.

Dec 3, 2008
  1. gergwii
    OP

Newcomer gergwii Newbie

United States
    The wiitracker site says the following:

"There is a 76% chance that your drive chip is a GC2-D2B
    and a 24% chance that it is a GC2-D2C.

There is a 76% chance that the pins on your drive chip are cut
    and a 24% chance that that they are not cut."

Another site, wiidrives dot com seems to put my serial number as a GC2-D2C if I compare it to the other serial numbers.

I don't own a triwing driver so I cannot open my wii. Anyone have any ideas?

Also, anyone use a wiiclip 14 with a wiikey v2 and have any issues? Experience with dubsoutlet?

2. Slowking

Member Slowking GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    Well doesn't really matter. Whether it's a D2B cut legs or a D2C you'll have to use a second generation modchip.

There are eject issues with the Wiikey2 and all other new modchips for that matter. Only Wasabi doesn't have them.

3. gergwii
    OP

Newcomer gergwii Newbie

United States
    Thank for your quick reply Slowking. I am interested in a Wasabi, but I am very impatient to wait for the Wasabi Zero (anyone know when it might be available at suppliers?) and I don't have soldering skills. An available option is the wiiclip and wiikey v2, but the site I was looking at, modchipcentral, makes you choose your chipset from a drop down list. I guess there is one additional solder they make depending on what you choose.

4. Slowking

Member Slowking GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    Well a solderless Wasabi is also available: http://www.modchipcentral.com/store/Wasabi...iver-p-152.html
    But what I forgot to tell you in the lest post is that eject issues of the other chips are only at about 5% of installs. So you'd have to decide whether you take the risk for a few dollar less...

A good thing with wiikey2 would be that you could just order one for D2C and cut the traces that are to much if you have a D2B. Sadly you have to solder a jumper with wasabi.
    Maybe waiting for the Wasabi Zero would be the best thing for you. Since your drive is so old, you allready waited some time a few weeks more won't kill you. [​IMG] You could email big suppliers like Modchipcentral or Ozmodchips. They should know when they'll get them...

5. gergwii
    OP

Newcomer gergwii Newbie

United States
    Thanks again Slowking, very helpful!