Can I Restore My Wii?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Shugo Takahashi, Oct 22, 2008.

Oct 22, 2008

Can I Restore My Wii? by Shugo Takahashi at 8:57 AM (6,094 Views / 0 Likes) 11 replies

1. Shugo Takahashi
    OP

Newcomer Shugo Takahashi Advanced Member

United States
    Ever since I've gotten into the Wii homebrew scene, I haven't stopped. I have loads of pirated VC/WW WADs installed on my Wii and I haven't actually purchased anything from Wii Shop Channel since the Twilight Hack. (I have no modchip) Now, with the Homebrew Channel and the Backup Loader, I can pirate disc games too, which has begun to remove any urges I had in my mind before of actually purchasing any more Wii games. I recently stopped to look at my channels menu and every game I currently have installed is pirated, with many more on my SD card readily available to be copied back and forth. Now that I have a steady job and can pay for video games all the time, I feel like I need to. I get this satisfied feeling from playing my purchased games that I actually own them and worked for them, and I know that they will never have any problems.

So, I want to kind of "restart" my Wii, but keep everything I legitimately bought for it and all of my save files intact. Is there any way to do this? I want to remove all evidence of homebrew from my Wii completely. I've realized that there is no online account on the Wii like there is on Xbox 360 or PS3, so if I wiped my Wii completely I would lose the rights I purchased to my games. I want to wipe it of its homebrew data (meaning even all the data I can't see like VC tickets and such) but keep the rights to my legit games and saves. I plan on maybe keeping the Homebrew Channel and system software 3.2 installed, but nothing else outside of that. In fact, I'd like to know if the Homebrew Channel is able to be completely removed at any moment I wish to in the future.

A big thanks to anybody who helps me with this. Please don't post in this topic trying to tell me it's not worth it or I should keep pirating, etc. etc. I know what I'm doing and I want to do it. Thank you.

2. 8BitWalugi

Member 8BitWalugi Taiyohhhhhh!

Australia
    hmm... your in a pickle. you can formatt it all but you lose all locked saves (can be transfered) and VC games.

3. ChimneyBug

Newcomer ChimneyBug Member

Japan
    I'm also curious except for the keeping bought games part. I have no bought VC or WW games and any ones I installed were just to demo and were soon removed with WAD Manager. What needs to be done to remove all traces of such things? Same for the Backup Manager, I've uninstalled the CIOS above 200, but what else would need to be done?

sorry for the amateur Qs

4. skawo96

Member skawo96 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    Format. You can redownload your purchased games again.

5. Shugo Takahashi
    OP

Newcomer Shugo Takahashi Advanced Member

United States
    Well, if the regular format option keeps track of my VC/WW ownership, wouldn't it also keep track of my pirated ownership too? I want to remove those. Will using the WAD Manager's uninstall COMPLETELY remove each WAD from my system or will there still be data left over somewhere? I also installed that custom IOS for Waninkoko's Backup Loader. Will simply uninstalling through WAD Manager remove all traces of it?

This is all I need to know.

6. jam3972

Newcomer jam3972 Member

United States
    my understanding is that the wii shop keeps track of your purchases through a unique console ID, not local data, so I'm pretty sure formatting would still successfully wipe everything.

I've been wrong before though...

7. cr08

Newcomer cr08 Member

United States
    Put simply, as jam3972 stated the Wii Shop Channel only tracks your purchases by the console's unique Serial number or some other possible ID linked to just your Wii. And this purchase list is only tracked/modified through Nintendo's servers so it only tracks legit purchases.

NOW. Nintendo COULD in some fashion track pirated channels through some sort of ticket inventory function, but I do not think there is any functionality for such currently. In addition, if the current wad installers modify the ticket id's in any way, that would also not count as a 'pirated' channel to Wii's servers. Though they could just as easily claim since the ticket id DIDN'T come from their server, it obviously must be pirated. But that is mostly speculation on the end there.

When you format the Wii, AFAIK, it comes as it came from the factory. Same version from the factory, no saves, no channels, no hidden installed wads, patches, etc.. Fresh Wii. Go to the shop channel and you can re-download all your original LEGIT purchased channels without repaying for them since it still sees the same Wii console.

8. Sportsmaniac1322

Member Sportsmaniac1322 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    If I were you I'd get an SD card and copy over all my saves that I'd want to keep. Once that's done, I'd format my Wii. Then, you could copy the saves back over from your SD card and re-download your VC-WW games off the Wii Shop Channel! [​IMG]

9. Arm the Homeless

Member Arm the Homeless Custom Title

United States
    Use GeckoOS 1.07b and use Rebooter and remove the copy flag.

Copy all saves over, format, copy saves back.

10. DaMummy

Member DaMummy GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    use your hard earned money to buy a modchip

11. MrBubbles

Member MrBubbles GBAtemp Fan

United States
  12. famousginni

Member famousginni GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Well, What you can do is copie everything you would like to keep onto your sd card using the Wii Menu or the Homebrew channel.
    Once you have copied everything you can click on Format Wii System Memory or something like that the clears everything when you are selling you wii to someone.
    Then after you will return to the state when you open ur wii.
    install the homebrew channel and copie everything you backuped "saves" 'mii" and if you want to keep the homebrew channel keep it otherwise u can delete it and start anew.

at least thats what i think.