can 3D be displayed when holding the system sideways?

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by nikkuchan, Jul 20, 2011.

1. nikkuchan
    OP

Member nikkuchan GBAtemp Regular

Japan
    To my knowledge, there aren't any 3DS games that involve holding the system sideways, but I wondered whether or not the screen is capable of displaying 3D in that position. Anybody know? I have no knowledge concerning the technology that the 3DS employs to stimulate my depth perception.

2. Aijelsop

Newcomer Aijelsop Question Asker

United States
    Hmm, I don't believe any games are made for sideways use. I don't think it would be possible. Try turning your 3DS on it's side at the Home Menu.

3. Vulpes Abnocto

Former Staff Vulpes Abnocto Drinks, Knows Things

United States
    I'm fairly certain your head would have to be oriented in the same way as the top screen....so no.
    Don't expect Rhythm Heaven 3D

4. Presto99

Member Presto99 You slammin, bro?

United States
    I read the whole manual before I got mine... [​IMG] It specifically said you can't see 3D with the system on its side. I've even tried, and I'm pretty sure it just shows you a single 2D image. I guess some cool stuff could be done if it weren't like this, but whatever. Can't you see 3D with the 3DS all the way upside down though?

5. AshuraZro

Member AshuraZro Belongs in a museum.

Canada
    This is simply not possible due to the way the screen works.

6. nikkuchan
    OP

Member nikkuchan GBAtemp Regular

Japan
    I'm not worried about games like Rhythm Heaven; the Wii version comes out tomorrow anyway.

Thanks all for the replies. I didn't know that info was in the manual; I kinda stopped reading manuals a while ago (OoT in Japan didn't even come with a manual btw)

7. Ikki

Member Ikki GBATemp's grumpy panda.

Uruguay
    I don't think that's possible.

But there's also this
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qs8HRmqjfxE[/youtube]

8. Snailface

Member Snailface My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing

Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
    Antarctica
    Correct. The parallax barrier that divides the two images your R and L eyes see is fixed and will always "shoot" light out in the same directions no matter what.
    People mistakenly think that the depth slider physically changes the parallax barrier in some way -- no. It only graphically spaces the R and L images horizontally apart at varying distances to create the illusion of depth.

So to answer your question, the 3DS can't do 3D in book mode because the parallax barrier is fixed and therefore can't adjust to your viewing angle. You have to adjust to it.

9. paul1991returns

Banned paul1991returns Banned

United States
    I don't think that's right.

The 3DS uses an LCD screen to create a parallax barrier. The depth slider works by changing the thickness of the bars of the transparent LCD.

So-3DS color LCD--Parallax LCD---Plastic cover,

10. DeMoN

Member DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    Dang. No Hotel Dusk then. [​IMG]
    But yeah, I tried this with my 3DS, it's the equivalent of trying to see 3D with one eye.

11. KingVamp

Member KingVamp Great... AETHER!

United States
    Well they could do like that video and sacrifice 3D or switch back in forth depending on what your are doing.

3D doesn't = no book mode or cross screen play nor does it mean those game can't be adapted to the new set up.

We may get active ones someday.

12. ferofax

Member ferofax End of the World

Philippines
    yes, kinda like how the GBA SP has been improved (SP brighter). but that would require Sharp putting in R&D resources into developing a better, glassless 3D LCD. and i don't know if Nintendo can make Sharp do that and not be tempted to market the tech elsewhere (i.e., Microsoft, Sony, etc).

after glassless 3D, the next would be VR 3D, and then probably holographic displays.

13. The Milkman

Member The Milkman GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman

United States
    What would be cool is a game the uses this fault to let you see 3 screens at once [​IMG] (the touch screen and the 3D screens two images from the side) Ex. A character on one screen is fighting a boss on the other so you have to tilt your 3DS at the right angle so you can see it and tilt it back to fight the boss [​IMG]