C or C++

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by soulx, Sep 18, 2010.

1. soulx
    OP

soulx GBAtemp Legend

Apr 4, 2009
    Canada
    Should I study C or C++ first?
    I'm looking to start developing DS homebrew but I can't do that without learning C/C++.
    Any other languages I should learn before starting to develop DS homebrew and other things?

2. trumpet-205

trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    You can learn C++ without knowing C. Same can be said with learning C first.

It is really your preferences. Although I learn C first before moving on to C++ (C's syntax is easier to me)

3. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    NYC
    C is barely used anymore, go with C++
    though if you really wanna start on something more advanced then C#

4. gameboy13

gameboy13 Orange and fluffy since 1995.

Mar 21, 2010
    United States
    The Fur Side.
    This. Also, C++ gives you more control. I actually started to learn C++ before, but I ended up slacking off and quitting.

5. Lemming16

Lemming16 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 30, 2010
    United States
    C++, its much more usable right know, and a much simpler.

6. Issac

Issac I

Supervisor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Issac is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 10, 2004
    Sweden
    Sweden
    C++ and C is has many things in common as well, syntax wise.. so I'd say C++ right away.
    Just because C++ is object oriented, you don't have to dive right into it. Start with the most basic stuff and it will pretty much be the same as C [​IMG]

and As I always say: Steven Prata - C++ primer plus: http://www.amazon.com/Primer-Plus-5th-Step...a/dp/0672326973
    Take a look inside at the first chapter and see if you think you'd like this... I love it!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice