Broken Wii U Gamepad Screen. Any help?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by MarioSonicU, Nov 16, 2016.

1. MarioSonicU
    OP

MarioSonicU Member

Newcomer
    Mar 9, 2016
    Canada
    The gamepad screen broke after a rage quit situation. since the controls still work, is there any workaround for the screen?cause i may need to change my internet settings (jic Nintendo puts out a system update.)

jic = just in case

Last edited by MarioSonicU, Nov 16, 2016
  2. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    Well, the easy but expensive option is to buy a new gamepad (order directly from nintendo)

The reasonable but maybe unrealistic option is to replace the screen yourself (no idea what are your chances of finding one at a decent price)

For this specific case, the buttons in system settings are pretty big (and half of the pages you need go through to edit dns have sample screenshots on external monitor), you could do it blind with the help of a video walkthrough :P

3. joacosur15

joacosur15 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 2, 2016
    Argentina
    Buenos Aires
    On ebay you can get replacement screens at a good price.

4. Slartibartfast42

Slartibartfast42 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 6, 2013
    United States
    Amazon and Ebay have replacement screens. You will also need a triwing screwdriver. You probably don't need a new digitizer, but my buy a new one anyways.

But let me tell you what happened to me. I tried to replace my screen. I broke a fpc connector for the backlight. Trying to fix it, I slightly broke the flex cable on my new screen. This is now a difficult thing to fix for someone without microsoldering tools and experience.I don't know what I'm going to do from here. Get a working gamepad and sell off individual parts? Seems like a lot of trouble. Find someone who wants to but it as is? Maybe.

So keep this in mind, how good are you at these kinds of repairs? You want want to have a service fix the screen for you so that you don't end up accidentally breaking it worse. Or you could sell your broken one, let someone else fix it. maybe I'd buy your broken one, or just put it up on Ebay.

But if course if all you really care about is blocking updates, then there's other options. Try to change settings blind. Block updates through your router. Borrow a gamepad from a friend. Buy a used console from Gamestop, change your settings with its pad, return used console for a refund. Rent console if possible. But a brand new console, use it's pad to change your settings, hack new console for piracy, sell it in like new and hacked condition for a profit. Maybe use that profit to get yourself a working pad.

You have to decide what's the best option for you. If anyone can help give me ideas, let me know please.

5. testerfan

testerfan GBAtemp Regular

May 28, 2013
    United States
    I do repairs for all Nintendo systems as well as Wii U gamepads, if you'd like your gamepad fixed - I can repair it for you, will be much cheaper than buying a new one or sending it to Nintendo. Look me up on ebay (https://goo.gl/r5KbaH) or send me PM here