Broken earphone jack jammed inside 3DS

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by tivu100, Jan 26, 2016.

1. tivu100
    OP

tivu100 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jun 6, 2015
    United States
    Friend broke an earphone jack in 3DS. Now 3DS has sound brick. Even updating to latest firmware on EMUNAND does seems fix it. Seems like 3DS need more stability. Are you suggesting me to update SYSNAND too NIntendo?

Excuse me for the punt

Anyone knows a good way to pull that broken jack out? Saw people talking about super glue, but kinda risky since if the glue leaks, it would be permanent sound brick.

Last edited by tivu100, Jan 27, 2016
  2. nero99

nero99 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 18, 2014
    United States
    Never use any type of glue. Can you post a picture of how far its stuck in there? (if possible). You may need to send it to someone on here to have a new headphone jack installed.

tivu100 likes this.
  3. VinsCool

VinsCool Delusional

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    Would a magnet work?

or maybe trying with a small hair snip?

tivu100 likes this.
  4. tivu100
    OP

Jun 6, 2015
    United States
    I asked for my friend, so I don't know the exact condition of the broken jack.
    Can you be a little more specific? I and my friend never come up against this situation before, so need a how to use that to pull this out.

5. VinsCool

VinsCool Delusional

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    If the broken jack is magnetic, maybe some kind of powerful magnet would help to remove it?

unless there isn't enoungh space to access it, I guess that a small snip (used for facial care i mean) could help too.

tivu100 likes this.
  6. nero99

Sep 18, 2014
    United States
    Do not use a magnent either. that can seriously mess up any electronic system. If you know anyone that's any good at soldering, have your friend get a replacement jack from ebay or amazon (not expensive at all), and have someone swap them out. I'm sure there's someone on this website that specializes in this sort of thing.

SmileCitrus and tivu100 like this.
  7. VinsCool

VinsCool Delusional

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    Yeah, I remove the magnet idea, I just verified, my headphone jack isn't magnetic lol

nero99 and tivu100 like this.
  8. Laterite

Laterite Member

Newcomer
    Jan 10, 2016
    United States
    The broken piece of the earphone jack should be hollow in the back. You could screw in a #76 drill bit (.508mm or .02 inch) or a similar size screw and pull the broken piece straight out.

9. tivu100
    OP

Jun 6, 2015
    United States
    I am sure of the condition, what I heard is the tip of the headphone is broke half way ( Chinese QC sucks) and it's is stuck in the socket. Not something you can easily remove if that's the case. Think of 3DS game cart broke half way in the cart slot.

10. Schizoanalysis

Schizoanalysis From somewhere inside the rabbit hole...

Jun 23, 2009
    Unscrew the 3DS screws, open it up, and get it out that way...

11. nero99

Sep 18, 2014
    United States
    to all of you saying to just unscrew the 3ds and remove it. Taking apart the ds is only the first step. depending on far far in its stuck and how much has been broken off, it may call for a replacement head phone jack. which means you have to order the new part, de-solder the old part and solder the new one back on. it's not as easy as some of you seem to think it is. And shoving stuff in there that should never go in that jack has a high chance of screwing it up even more.

Fr0zenIce and tivu100 like this.
  12. Drew That Gamer

Drew That Gamer weeb

Dec 29, 2015
    United States
    Arlington, VA
    Take some tweezers and just pull it out!

tivu100 likes this.
  13. nero99

Sep 18, 2014
    United States
    Because those will fit inside a 3.5mm headphone jack.

tivu100 likes this.
  14. Luckkill4u

Luckkill4u 4 guys in a car ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Jul 13, 2008
    Canada
    Insomnia
    I had some luck getting broken headphone jacks out of my HTC One X and a 1st gen iPod Touch. Both broken jacks were flush when broken off though. I had some small jewelers needle nose pliers that worked for the HTC but had tons of problems with the iPod Touch. inside the jack plug there is a clamp where the jack seats into. Depending on the manufacturer that clamp can be tight as hell so I ended taking a very tiny drill bit and drilled in and carefully tookm out piece by piece. Something could have gone horribly wrong but it worked!

tivu100 likes this.
  15. Drew That Gamer

Drew That Gamer weeb

Dec 29, 2015
    United States
    Arlington, VA
    idk how tight is is lmao

16. tivu100
    OP

Jun 6, 2015
    United States
    I apologize if I don't provide enough info and made people get into argument. I haven't seen that 3DS. I only come-over my friend's house this weekend so I am unsure of the situation. Just want to gather info/methods beforehand, so when I saw the actual condition, I can decide what to do. There is no right or wrong about this, so everyone, please just try to be nice to others so we can learn something useful together for future reference (I never had this issue before myself).

Last edited by tivu100, Jan 27, 2016
    Fr0zenIce likes this.
  17. tigerfrost

tigerfrost Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 17, 2015
    The only way to truly fix a broken earphone jack is to open the 3ds and inspect the jack. Check the solder points and if they are snapped you will need to re-solder back to the connections. A relatively easy job in comparison to other fixes if you are handy with soldering and a little bit of electronic knowledge. :) Ifixit has plenty of guides to help you along its just removing the lid and soldering 3 joints.

tivu100 likes this.