Hardware Bricked by power surge?

Tonitonichopchop

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
About a week ago, my younger sister plugged my wii into a power transformer (Since my wii is American and I live in Israel) and she plugged it into the wrong outlet. The output of the converter was 220v and when she plugged it in she saw a spark come from the power adapter, and since then it hasn't worked. I don't have another power adapter to test, all I'm wondering is if this could have damaged my actual wii.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yes it is possible to have damaged the wii however a good transformer should have gone down before the electronics. Edit: I also assume you did something like http://hubpages.com/hub/how-to-repair-not-...-up-wii-console

Assuming the end connector has not melted then you can probably use that to make an adapter- I have tried to find the thread but I can not, in it though someone wanted their USB drive powered via the wii and ultimately ended up splicing it into the power cable and we did some measurements in there.
http://wiinewz.com/forums/wii-general-disc...tor-pinout.html has some info though.

PC power supplies also have a very nicely regulated 12V that can kick out enough power so you should be able to grab the required power from a regular molex, 12 volts DC at 3.7 amps should be doable for all but the worst PC PSUs out there (do check the ratings on it though to make sure you are not trying to squeeze it from the aux line or something).
Some pinouts
http://www.pc-user.co.uk/power_connectors.htm
http://pinouts.ru/connector/4_pin_Molex_po...connector.shtml

Jemlee

Trophies
Website
www.arwingnet.co.cc
XP
Country
Tonitonichopchop said:
About a week ago, my younger sister plugged my wii into a power transformer (Since my wii is American and I live in Israel) and she plugged it into the wrong outlet. The output of the converter was 220v and when she plugged it in she saw a spark come from the power adapter, and since then it hasn't worked. I don't have another power adapter to test, all I'm wondering is if this could have damaged my actual wii.

Actually... I had a wii from a while back that just refused to boot suddenly. When I returned it to the store, they claimed that the adapter fried the insides... Which is weird since when they repaired I still had my data and saves on it...
unsure.gif

Tonitonichopchop

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nothing appears melted or scorched (In the wii or the the adapter). I'm going to buy a new adapter tomorrow and see if it works. The converter still works (I've since used it with my other electronics, such as my dsi, with no issues), so I'm positive it's a wii problem.

If it doesn't work, where can I go to get my wii inspected for repair that's trust worthy and offers world wide service? I really don't want to buy a new wii since I have bootmii as boot2 plus a bunch of saves I didn't backup...

Xaphatro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Late reply, but your wii should be perfectly fine. The same thing happened because I have a US Wii and and I live in India. The voltage slipped my mind and the the adapter was gone. Bought a new chinese one the very next day. It worked till yesterday when the heat probably fried it. Awaiting fix. It's really ironic to think I have three gaming systems and I can't play any of them due to technical issues.

C.S.I.

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Make sure you buy a power supply for the 220V that Israel uses.

This will save you a whole lot of grief, whether or not the Wii itself needs repair.

And most likely the Wii will be OK.

Tonitonichopchop

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just bought a new one. It was expensive, but my wii is now working perfectly, plus I don't have to use that damn converter anymore.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: what are you currently playing?