Brandy new Wii owner

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by Slagathor, Feb 25, 2009.

Feb 25, 2009

Brandy new Wii owner by Slagathor at 1:26 AM (622 Views / 0 Likes) 2 replies

1. Slagathor

Newcomer Slagathor Newbie

Feb 25, 2009
    United States
    Hey all, just got my family a Wii Sunday, been contemplating a mod chip, I soft modd'd our original Xbox
    cause children are hard on originals.
    Anywase, I went looking for modchips, and theyw ere asking for the drivechip version.
    I put in the serial number and not enough info.

Anyone got an idea what chip to get??

I can solder, I have done many volt mods on motherboards and videocards, but would prefer not too......

Thanks for your time...
  2. sleestax

Newcomer sleestax Member

Jan 8, 2009
    United States
    I got a Wii for my family (one little one and the wife) and we've all been enjoying it since Christmas. I chose to softmod mine because I'm reasonably certain that it has the black goo on the drive chip. So far, 100% of the backups I've downloaded have worked (about 75 so far). We also enjoy playing games from my past on the emulators and have a few homebrew games that are fun also. So I guess I'd recommend doing the software mod for now and shopping around for a mod-chip when and if you decide to go that route. You'll probably find that the software mod does everything you need (i.e. playing backups, so you originals don't get destroyed by the rug rats).
  3. ften

Member ften GBAtemp Regular

Feb 9, 2006
    My house
    Easiest way is to open your Wii up and look at the drive chip, it will tell you your drive chip version on your chip.
    See below for an example;

The site I yanked that image from actually has a pretty good tutorial/info;