ROM Hack Question BOTW font editing help.

tomx86

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Hello, guys I edited BOTW .bffnt files inside "Font_EU.sbfarc" and "Font_US.sbfarc" to have polish characters, by replacing existing characters with them in the extracted.png image files, but I can't get them to work, so here is what is happening:

First I tried to use "Switch-Toolbox", after replacing the "raw data" of the original .bffnt files with my edited ones, it asked me to compress the .sbfarc files to "yaz0", so I click yes, and after a short time it's done, the new files are way bigger then the original files, but I put them to the "atmosphere\contents\01007EF00011E000\romfs\Font" location on my microSD card anyway, start the game and it crashes at start. Then I tried to do it by decompressing the .sbfarc files to .sbfarc 0.rarc files with "yaz0dec.exe", replace the original .bffnt files with my edited ones in "Wexoss-Toolbox" then used "yaz0enc.exe" to encrypt them to .sbfarc 0.rarc.yaz0 with "yaz0enc.exe" witch took a very long time to do, but after completion the files sizes where more close to the original the in the "Switch-Toolbox" method, so I renamed them back to .sbfarc files and now the game is stuck on the loading screen. So I tried to do the same with "Karameru.exe" it also asked me to compress the .sbfarc files to "yaz0", so I did and it went quickly, and the new files had the same size as the original files, but the game also stucks on the loading screen.

So can some one tell me how to make it work, and I'm on "Win7x64", so "Wii U Zip.exe" won't start for me.:wacko:
Please help.:bow::bow::bow::bow:

Reactions: Hyper_2979

tomx86

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Thanks @masagrator, once again for your help, and your right this tutorial needs an small update:
upload_2021-3-30_17-0-43.png

upload_2021-3-30_17-1-10.png

upload_2021-3-30_17-1-49.png

upload_2021-3-30_17-2-22.png

What I needed:
- Switch-Toolbox (I've used Experimental Release-v1.0.2383).
- QuickBMS with Splatoon_SARC.bms script.
- BotW Unpacker (I've used v3.1.1 because v5.0.0 BETA won't start on Win7x64).
- Image Editor (I've used Photoshop).
- Hex Editor (I've used HxD).

First decode Font_EU.sbfarc to Font_EU.bfarc with BotW Unpacker using "Yaz0 decode".
Rename it to Font_EU.sarc for correct file extension.
Then use Unpack SARC, choose Font_EU.sarc and unpack it to separate folder. There should be *.bffnt file(s).

*.bffnt file open with Switch-Toolbox.
Choose the image you want to edit, right click on it and click Open Image Editor.

upload_2021-3-26_2-22-14.png

Remember the Channels settings, and the Mip Count.

upload_2021-3-26_2-23-10.png

Scroll down and take note of the Surface Shape.

upload_2021-3-26_2-24-14.png

Now change the Channels like this.

upload_2021-3-26_2-25-3.png

Click Save, right click on the image and click Export.

upload_2021-3-26_2-25-31.png

Save it as PNG, edit your PNG in Photoshop and Save (not "Save As") with untouched settings (remember to rotate it to 180º and flip it canvas horizontal).
Now make a copy of the original BFFNT file and click on Replace.

upload_2021-3-26_2-26-54.png

Check if the Surface Dimension is the same as Surface Shape in the original BFFNT file.
Make sure that the Mip Count is also the same, and click Ok.

upload_2021-3-26_2-27-26.png

Set the Channels just like in the original BFFNT file.

upload_2021-3-26_2-23-10.png

Click Save, and save the new BFFNT file.

Now we need to open our new BFFNT file and original BFFNT file in hex editor.
Copy whole block from 0x2000 to _RLT string (string excluded) in new BFFNT file
Do it by finding _RLT string, highlight byte before it, Edit->Select Block, paste to "Start-offset" 2000.
Click OK.

Do the same in the original BFFNT file.
Copy your highlighted data from new BFFNT file to the original BFFNT file. Save it.
If saved file is the same size as your backup (it will be created by HxD as "NormalS.bffnt.bak"), then it should be good.
Now copy your modified original BFFNT file (or files if you are editing more fonts) to a separate folder, where will be nothing except this file(s) and rename it/them to original filename if needed.

Go to unpacked QuickBMS archive, open "reimport.bat", choose Splatoon_sarc.bms, next choose Font_EU.sarc, next go to folder with your modified BFFNT (don't click on anything except folders) and click save.
Now your Font_EU.sarc is modified.
Go to BotW Unpacker, choose "Switch" next to "Build SARC", click "Yaz0 encode" and choose Font_EU.sarc. It's very slow, so wait. It will create Font_EU.ssarc, that you can rename to Font_EU.sbfarc.

Last edited by tomx86,
Reactions: falcorr

Hugrenlo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think it is, it's similar, but I think they're different. I should know that because I have fortnite font download on my website. I was in search of a perfect font and I found a website where you can get salt life font free. The website I got is UPFONTS, and it's a great place for people who are looking to freshen their blogs/websites up. I did just that with salt life font, it reminded me of old versions of websites, and I looked for something vintage on my website.

Last edited by Hugrenlo,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over