Not open for further replies.

KeeperCP1

"What, why, where, who?" is my middle name
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I MADE A HUGE MISTAKE! I hexedited a byte of my nand to see if i can still use godmode9, and my New3DS XL from Europe got bricked with a bluescreen! What is worse is that GM9 won't boot at all!!!
What should i do?

• Sad
Reactions: KleinesSinchen

KeeperCP1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Why did you edit anything in the first place (was it necessary?)
Try manually restoring your NAND backup to your SD card.
If that's not an option, I'm afraid I can't help you. Maybe you would have to hardmod your system.
I regret doing that, also i can't access GodMode9

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
Trophies
Website
catboybeebop.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
Jesus fuck, dude! You don't just hex edit shit all willy nilly! You ONLY do that if you KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING AND RISKING!!!
For the lovea' all homebrew, give us a picture of the error so we at least know it's not... that bluescreen.

Edit: Also, my guess as to why you can't boot into GM9 despite it being on your SD and not the nand: That little hex edit you did fucked up boot9strap, probably.
Just see if you can get NTRBoothax to work, then if so, install the latest version of B9S.

CoolMe

"Action-packed movie" star
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I MADE A HUGE MISTAKE! I hexedited a byte of my nand to see if i can still use godmode9, and my New3DS XL from Europe got bricked with a bluescreen! What is worse is that GM9 won't boot at all!!!
What should i do?
You can't access either Luma3DS or GodMode9 with or without the sd card inserted?

KeeperCP1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
You can't access either Luma3DS or GodMode9 with or without the sd card inserted?
I did do the plailect thing with Luma and CTRNAND, so i'm not sure though. New 3dses require a screwdriver for anything related to sd cards

For the replies about Ntrboot, you need to get to the home menu to boot the flashcart, so this answer may not be valid

Technically what i only did to the nand is change 6C to 6D. I doubt it messed up with B9S, since the splash doesn't show up, and you can't boot gm9

CoolMe

"Action-packed movie" star
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did do the plailect thing with Luma and CTRNAND, so i'm not sure though. New 3dses require a screwdriver for anything related to sd cards
You don't have a Phillips-head screwdriver?
How did you hex edit the nand, inside GodMode9?
You edited the backup nand image then you restored it? or did you edit the system's nand directly?
For the replies about Ntrboot, you need to get to the home menu to boot the flashcart, so this answer may not be valid
It should work in your case, though you need another system, a hacked DSi or 3DS will do and a compatible ntrboot flashcart.
You need to insert the sd card into your computer and see if you have Luma3DS and GodMode9 there.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
WHY??
Why would anyone hex-edit the RAW partitions in "SysNAND Virtual"? I always made jokes about this, thinking it could never happen. This blows my mind!
Yes, I clicked on the calendar to verify it is not April 1st. I'm serious.

Technically what i only did to the nand is change 6C to 6D. I doubt it messed up with B9S
I don't doubt this. Modifying a single byte is sufficient to make signatures (and fake signatures "SigHax") invalid. That is the purpose of a digital signature: Confirming something has not been modified.

Please compare your error code with those mentioned here:
https://www.3dbrew.org/wiki/Bootrom#Error_Codes
That should give us a hint.
wand.gif
smilie_girl_130-gif.231547
wand.gif

+1 For ntrboot. A N3DSXL is well worth reviving. Getting (temporary) access to any other DS system is not hard either. More than 100 million of them have been produced.

KeeperCP1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
You don't have a Phillips-head screwdriver?
How did you hex edit the nand, inside GodMode9?
You edited the backup nand image then you restored it? or did you edit the system's nand directly?

It should work in your case, though you need another system, a hacked DSi or 3DS will do and a compatible ntrboot flashcart.
You need to insert the sd card into your computer and see if you have Luma3DS and GodMode9 there.
Inside godmode9 directly
I do have Luma 11.0 plugin edition (the ctgp7 one) and GM9 6th anniversary edition

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Inside godmode9 directly
I do have Luma 11.0 plugin edition (the ctgp7 one) and GM9 6th anniversary edition
Luma version and GodMode9 version don't matter here. Since the bootloader doesn't work, nothing of this is used.
Please compare your error code with the ones on 3dbrew.

Prepare ntrboot and try runnig SafeB9SInstaller.

Reactions: CoolMe

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
D'oh. Time to get a new ntrboot supported flashcart and do stuff the Lazarus3ds way
Please don't start with the most destructive attempts once you can use ntrboot.

I just tried it on my test machine by doing the same: Corrupting the NCSD header with the GodMode9 hex-editor (changed the very first byte of nand.bin) and got greeted – big surprise – with 8046 BOOTROM ERROR. Sadly OpenFirmInstaller didn't repair the damage I caused (so SafeB9SInstaller likely won't as well). It doesn't seem to touch NCSD header and only modifies FIRM0 and FIRM1.

Repair was simple, since I remembered what nonsense I just had done to my console, and could undo it with the hex-editor, so the poor testing O3DSXL is back from the dead (once again).

:!:Please backup the bricked state as soon as you ntrboot'ed into GodMode9:!:
  • If you 100% remember where you changed which value, you can fix it manually
  • Another option is comparing the hex-values of a previous, good NAND image with nand.bin in SysNAND Virtual. Since only one byte is wrong, you should be able to spot it. Then manually repair
  • Last thing: Forced NAND restore of a known, good image
I don't know if CTRTransfer Type D9, which contains functions for fixing 8046 BOOTROM ERROR, would also repair NCSD header. In any case CTRTransfer Type D9 or even Lazarus3DS are way to complex and shouldn't be first choice for fixing a single byte.

Edit:
CTRTransfer Type D9 can fix the NCSD header. Please still try other, faster, less invasive methods.

Good luck!

Last edited by KleinesSinchen,

KeeperCP1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Repair was simple, since I remembered what nonsense I just had done to my console, and could undo it with the hex-editor, so the poor testing O3DSXL is back from the dead (once again).
  • If you 100% remember where you changed which value, you can fix it manually
Great to know that! I only changed the first byte of the nand from 6C to 6D, so this should help. Thank you!

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Great to know that! I only changed the first byte of the nand from 6C to 6D, so this should help. Thank you!
Good luck!
Should be an easy fix then. Don't forget that pulling of ntrboot might take some tries if you never did it before (and there are multiple causes of error with the same outcome → "didn't work")

how do you plan to flash it if godmode doesn't work now? btw, shouldn't the sha-1 file have prevented installation???
The GodMode9 hex-editor can directly edit the NAND chip. Messing around with the virtual "files" in the SysNAND Virtual drive is one of the most dangerous things to do on 3DS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UyxeZ7JYwZs&pp=ygUJVnIgaXMgZ2F5