Blocking updates and online?

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by Slartibartfast42, Aug 23, 2018.

1. Slartibartfast42
    OP

Slartibartfast42 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 6, 2013
    United States
    Hey, is it possible to block updates and still play online? On the Wii U, the game servers were separate from the update servers, so you could block the eshop and updates and still play Mario Kart. I tried the Reswitch DNS and it seems to block Mario Kart too. If you can't get into Mario Kart, might as well just have the WiFi completely off then.

My Switch is patched and so unhacked. I would like to play Mario Kart online while simultaneously not worrying about Firmware 6.0, until I get around to trading the system to hack it, or a new hack comes out or something. How can I safely enjoy online features up until the point I hack the Switch or paid online activates.

2. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

GBAtemp Patron
    Quantumcat is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    Turn off automatic updates, you should be fine. I was on 4.1 for a long time# using internet etc. I'm not sure if it will override this setting if you leave it in the dock or charging in sleep mode with WiFi enabled, so you could leave that off (it's what the Wii U did, not sure if the Switch does that too).

3. Slartibartfast42
    OP

Mar 6, 2013
    United States
    It's weird that the Wii U was more aggressive than the Switch. I remember the Wii U updating itself while I wasn't even in the same state. I have automatic updates off, will try to get into a habit of leaving it in airplane mode when unattended.

4. Mr. Wizard

Mr. Wizard Ending the spread of bullshit one thread at a time

Mar 20, 2015
    Canada
    E8 lattice
    Super Nag.?

5. Slartibartfast42
    OP

Mar 6, 2013
    United States
    I don't really see the issue with super nag. Nag won't start until a new firmware comes out. At that point, would want to stay offline anyways.