Black screens (freezing) when using usb loaders

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by drdoom, Jan 12, 2010.

Jan 12, 2010
  1. drdoom
    OP

Newcomer drdoom Newbie

I posted this to the SoftmodGuide forums, but it doesn't look like I'll get answers anytime soon and am hoping you guys are able to help:

Wii System Menu: 4.1U

Followed the CompleteSoftMod guide and now have both waninkoko's cios installed as well as hermes. I have an external USB HD (WD 160 GB - Venus DS3 enclosure) formatted FAT32 and used the Wii Backup Manager to create the partition (and subsequent wbfs folder).

I have three games:

New Super Mario Bros. Wii
    Zelda: Twilight Princess
    Super Smash Bros. Brawl

I am able to, at times, get Mario Bros and Zelda to run but never Smash. When either Mario or Zelda are running, it's only a matter of time until I see the DVD slot fade long blue and I will generally get a black screen where I'll be forced to turn off the Wii. To some extent, Zelda will load and play and I can sometimes go from area to area but within a few minutes, it will black screen and lock up.

This happens with both USB Loader GX and Configurable USB Loader.

I used the advanced search and about the only thing I can come up with is that I didn't remove stubbed IOSes although I'm not sure how to go about that. DOP-IOS Mod option?

Any idea how I might fix this issue?

Thank you!

2. BBking83

Member BBking83 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    cIOS rev14 doesn't support Dual Layer.

I think 13 does? Or 15?

Maybe Hermes does?

3. cobleman

Member cobleman GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    It could be an external caseing problem i didnt find out i had a problem untill i used Configurable USB Loader and it came up with the error ehc module could not be initialised BUT it showed me everything on the drive just like when you would format it as NTFS

4. drdoom
    OP

Newcomer drdoom Newbie

Do you have a link for the sleeper db? I do plan on going to WBFS just to see what happens.

5. gamecat

Newcomer gamecat Advanced Member

United Kingdom
  6. drdoom
    OP

Newcomer drdoom Newbie

Thanks for the link gamecat. My enclosure isn't listed at this time, but I'll be sure to add it after playing around a bit more.

7. laguna75

Newcomer laguna75 Newbie

United States
    Another way to test it is to wbfs format an USB key and put one of your games on it.
    If it works with usb key, then the problem is located in/on your HDD

8. drdoom
    OP

Newcomer drdoom Newbie

That's a good idea laguna, thanks.

In any event, I WBFS formatted the external drive this morning and I do get better results under USB Loader GX with Zelda and I'm now able to play Smash Bros. A new problem is that Smash Bros. will at times run too fast. I also get an "eject disc" error after beating the game.

Configurable USB Loader is also able to play Smash Bros. except that I can get it to crash to the same "eject disc" error by attempting to load a movie from the Movies section in-game.

9. cobleman

Member cobleman GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    Use hermes cIOS222 to run ssbb you wont have any trouble then

10. drdoom
    OP

Newcomer drdoom Newbie

Update:

I had problems even after going to WBFS, although not as frequently. I found a post on people having success with hdparm. It had been a long time but I tried using the parted magic (Parted Magic) live cd:

CODEhdparm -S 0 /dev/hda

For those interested in hdparm:

hdparm

After this, I am not able to get the games to crash except for SSBB. [​IMG]

For SSBB, this results in the "disc error" screen. This happens using Hermes 222, 223 or Waninkoko's 249 rev16.

I guess I'll have to try 249 rev17 when I get the time. In any event, hdparm seems to have worked well for me!