Bit of an old timer. Need some help.

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Devin, Dec 26, 2015.

1. Devin
    OP

Devin "Local Hardware Wizard"

Aug 17, 2009
    United States
    The Nexus
    Managed to get a original 3DS off Craigslist for $70 that happens to be on 7.2 firmware. So my question is what can I do with it? Can I full out hack it to play "backups" or can it only do homebrew? I have a GW3DS but I'm not sure how relevant those are nowadays. Plus I'd rather do things with the system's SD card (Which I plan on upgrading to a 32GB one.) as I don't have a microSD card to use with the GW3DS.) Is there a guide somewhere that I could follow like Rydian's PSP guide? If that's still up anymore.

Thanks!

Last edited by Devin, Dec 26, 2015
    zoogie likes this.
  2. Ammako

Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Dec 22, 2009
    Canada
  3. VeryCrushed

VeryCrushed Devious Prorammer

Dec 26, 2014
    United States
    The Programmers Den
    Perhaps something more descriptive then just giving a link. He did state he had a Gateway, so why not help with that as well.

Rxtools is a option, the thread goes into details about it. As you have a Gateway, they still are relevant and get updates still. 3.6 was just released with more cheat support and the 7.2 firmware is in the support range. Setup is pretty easy and there is a full guide in the gateway zip file.

Zidapi likes this.
  4. Ammako

Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Dec 22, 2009
    Canada
    OP seemed to have made it clear that they preferred a cfw over the GW, and that tutorial has all the info they need and explains everything.

wormdood likes this.
  5. VeryCrushed

VeryCrushed Devious Prorammer

Dec 26, 2014
    United States
    The Programmers Den
    Gateway can be used as a CFW as well, so no reason not to include it as a option. He did buy it anyways. Just suggesting a constructive response rather then slapping a link and calling it good.

6. Ammako

Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Dec 22, 2009
    Canada
    Why don't we let OP decide if that was helpful or not, hmmm?

"Is there a guide somewhere that I could follow like Rydian's PSP guide?"

They asked for a guide, so I gave them one.

All I'm saying is if they have more questions and need more help, they'll ask and I will be happy to help them. They don't need a white knight jumping to their rescue when they may not even need the help.

Last edited by Ammako, Dec 27, 2015
    wormdood likes this.
  7. Devin
    OP

Devin "Local Hardware Wizard"

Aug 17, 2009
    United States
    The Nexus
    Thank you both for the help. The guide is a bit weird formatting wise but nonetheless helpful. I plan on taking whatever route is easiest in order to;

1. Exploit the 3DS.
    2. Update the 3DS.
    3. Get a CIA installer.
    4. Get the 3DS to autoboot into a "hacked menu"(?) Was reading up on that in the guide thread.

Although I've heard of people getting their 3DS' bricked by using the GW3DS along with other software. Am I safe or is that only for people using Supercard's new flashcart? I appreciate the help from both of you.

(On a side note, I plan on doing this with a retail display 3DS XL so it'll be interesting.)

8. Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    Update Emunand not the 3DS itself ;) and no you won't brick unless you're using a DSTWO+ which uses gateway launcher (they stole it and use it).

9. Ammako

Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Dec 22, 2009
    Canada
    People brick their 3DSes by attempting to use Gateway mode with a DSTwo+ "emulating" the GW card.
    It doesn't brick 100% of the time, every time, some people have tried to brick on purpose but never managed to. Nonetheless, unless you have a DSTwo+ and plan on running GW then you don't have to worry about that.

The other way people brick, which may be more relevant to your situation, is by updating via sysupdater while in rxMode sysnand instead of devmode/pasta mode (or updating sysnand while in GW mode.)
    If you have the right firmware update pack, install a cia manager to sysnand (rxTools has an option to inject FBI directly into the Health and Safety app) and install sysupdater, then you can go in the rxTools menu and load devmode/pasta mode.

devmode is only present in 2.5.2 and 3.0 nightlies (newer versions of the nightlies changed it to "pasta mode" but they are the same thing.)
    They call it Pasta Mode because PastaCFW was a cfw that ran on sysnand and originally was pretty much just sig patches with no firmlaunches. rxTools was merged with PastaCFW, so devmode was eventually renamed to pasta mode because it pretty much is exactly like running the original PastaCFW. :P

Basically you need devmode/pasta mode, because it is only sig patches and no firmlaunch. Firmlaunch is what causes a brick when using sysupdater, because it loads a newer NATIVE_FIRM in memory which confuses sysupdater into thinking a newer NATIVE_FIRM is already installed.
    As a result, it doesn't update NATIVE_FIRM and you are left with a sysnand that won't boot and is pretty much useless unless you can get a hardmod and restore a nand backup.

rxTools devmode isn't the only option, if you can run PastaCFW w/o firmlaunch that also works, or PBT-CFW (very outdated so better not to bother.)
    rxTools is the best choice since you,ll already be setting up and using rxTools, so why not use what you already have :P

If you're going to be using a 3.0 nightly, I recommend the 9/28 nightly.

Nooooooo idea what the difference is between retail display units and actual retail units, so it may work or it may not work. You'll have to try it out.

10. Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    You always gotta show me up with these super huge and intricate replies :glare: