Hacking BGM horribly distorted after Softmod

verenachen

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
There is an abandoned thread about this subject, but I really think this might be a thing that happens to some people that may not have noticed yet: after following the official guide and successfully installing armloaderhax I noticed that something happened to the sound of my N3ds XL...the general sound quality got horrible. It`s not noticeable in every game, but SOME (especially Mario Golf, Etrian IV, Sonic World) suddenly have very distorted, overdriven background music that is very high pitched, distorted,crunchy and a pain to the ears. To a lesser Extent it is also noticeable on headphones and also when the volume is not turned to the fullest. It seems that it is very noticeable in games with very dynamic and loud score (like Dragon Quest VII). Does anyone else notice this or knows what step exactly might have caused this? Any help would be great, it really lessens the enjoyment of some games

Reactions: Soulsilve2010

richy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't have a New 3DS but I'm guessing you've got overclocking on and need to switch it off. From plailect's guide...
  • “New 3DS CPU” to “Clock+L2(x)”
  • This will increase the framerate of many games, but may cause instability in others
  • If some games do not work properly, disable this option and try again

Reactions: Soulsilve2010

verenachen

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Good guess, but I already tried that. In my Luma3ds setting the feature is turned off. I also tried every combination (off, clock, L2 and clock+L2)

Tomy Sakazaki

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
There is an abandoned thread about this subject, but I really think this might be a thing that happens to some people that may not have noticed yet: after following the official guide and successfully installing armloaderhax I noticed that something happened to the sound of my N3ds XL...the general sound quality got horrible. It`s not noticeable in every game, but SOME (especially Mario Golf, Etrian IV, Sonic World) suddenly have very distorted, overdriven background music that is very high pitched, distorted,crunchy and a pain to the ears. To a lesser Extent it is also noticeable on headphones and also when the volume is not turned to the fullest. It seems that it is very noticeable in games with very dynamic and loud score (like Dragon Quest VII). Does anyone else notice this or knows what step exactly might have caused this? Any help would be great, it really lessens the enjoyment of some games
Only to try to isolate things, when you tried the guide what method to install arm9loaderhax it used?
CTRNAND to downgrade to 2.1? Downgrade to 2.1 through sysUpdater (or similar)? OTPless method?
In case of downgrade, it was needed to upgrade to 9.2 through CTRNAND or other similar method at the time you tried the guide?

And when I arrive home I'll try to test those games in a n3ds xl, n3ds small, o3ds xl and o3ds small to try to get if there are any difference (supposing that o3ds tends to stay with original sound generation even after a 2.1 dg).

Last edited by Tomy Sakazaki,

verenachen

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
My downgrade history has been a bit chaotic because I tried around a bit because of the issues. Originally I used crtransfer 2.1., then yesterday I used 9.2. and the updated to 11.2. again because I thought this might straighten up the issues. UPDATE: like a miracle suddenly after days the sound is okay, but I changed absolutely NOTHING !!! Completely confused. Maybe the issues were caused by some fault in saving the config for Luma3ds settings and the system was after all running on Clock+L2 allthough I disabled it? The GENERAL volume seems to be a lot quieter now on maximum volume-slider setup. My guess: some error in my luma3ds-config setup caused games to run on full clock and somehow influenced the mix/gain level of the music. I would prefer to know what the specific cause was, afraid the suddenly it will reoccur with me still trying to figure out what the problem is.

But thanks for your support :-)

EDIT: it really buffles me: I tried around on my own for days and shortly after posting this thread the issue is suddenly gone...you got some serious magic going on here :-) Still clueless what might have caused it, I was close to throwing my 3ds at a wall

Last edited by verenachen,

verenachen

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Unfortuantely the change was only affecting one game (etrian IV) I was testing. Strange thing is: SOME games sound absolutely fine while others are distorted/overdriven sound- wise.
In general the basic volume level is VERY loud while I was reading that many people complained about the LOW volume of their 3ds. Really drives me crazy. Any ideas?

Kyubnyan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unfortuantely the change was only affecting one game (etrian IV) I was testing. Strange thing is: SOME games sound absolutely fine while others are distorted/overdriven sound- wise.
In general the basic volume level is VERY loud while I was reading that many people complained about the LOW volume of their 3ds. Really drives me crazy. Any ideas?
It's easier to work with volume that is too loud than one that is too low.

verenachen

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
It's easier to work with volume that is too loud than one that is too low.

I know what you mean, but the sound is already distorted on lower volume levels, just more quiet.

For example: "Mario and Luigi Dream Team" sounds absolutely smooth and fine, while "Pokemon x" has very distorted BGM, the high notes "clip" no matter what volume I try on the slider. It almost seems as if the internal soundmixer of the 3ds is somehow damaged

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Just because I still have the suspicion that my Luma3ds is running on Clock+L2 all the time no matter what I check in the setup....I just tried to switch the Brightness in the Luma Setup to "1" but after boot my display is on brightness level "3"...could that be a clue for Luma not affecting my system?

Last edited by verenachen,

Tomy Sakazaki

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
I know what you mean, but the sound is already distorted on lower volume levels, just more quiet.

For example: "Mario and Luigi Dream Team" sounds absolutely smooth and fine, while "Pokemon x" has very distorted BGM, the high notes "clip" no matter what volume I try on the slider. It almost seems as if the internal soundmixer of the 3ds is somehow damaged

Just because I still have the suspicion that my Luma3ds is running on Clock+L2 all the time no matter what I check in the setup....I just tried to switch the Brightness in the Luma Setup to "1" but after boot my display is on brightness level "3"...could that be a clue for Luma not affecting my system?
The Brightness setting on luma actually is applied only to arm9 payloads that you load through it. That is, when you set the Hourglass9 .bin file as Start_H9.bin, when you hold Start while turning the 3DS on, the Hourglass9 homebrew will start with the screen brightness set to 1.
@Aurora Wright may correct me if I'm wrong.

verenachen

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
So I think after all my speakers maybe broken. Thing is, I cant get them to the official Nintendo Repairservice now the machine is modded I guess

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: DBZ 90% filler lol