Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok I thought I'd start a new thing where basically I choose a game where it was better than the home console/PC version. I kinda badly explain and review the console version and then the handheld one, perhaps this will be a regular thing if it goes well, perhaps not lets just see. My hope for this is for people to play certain good games that they may have ignored due to the console/PC version being total crap.

Daikatana

PC gamers may remember this over hyped, long delayed piece of shit from 2000. It was developed by Ion Storm which had John Romero at the realm. Being from the guy who helped develop Wolfenstein, Doom & Quake expectations were high, mainly due to John going on about how it'll be so much better than any game ever. The game was started in 1996 and eventually finished in 2000. During its long development there were many adverts hyping the game up. It was terrible, really really terrible and in the PC gaming world, if something has bad reviews it won't sell making it one of the biggest financial disasters in gaming history. It had some horrid bugs in the game too, and a lot of the time you got stuck to walls. It had some terrible enemies including...frogs. Level design was shockingly bad, in fact it was just like on of those crap Quake mods you've played once. The N64 version was even worse with it being rushed. It also had horrid blurriness making the multiplayer completely unplayable.

PC version:

N64 Version:

Onto the GBC version, released about the same time. I remember keeping a close eye on it as it looked pretty damn good. It was a overhead, futuristic action RPG. The developers intention was ba more actiony Zelda, and they suceeded brilliantly. Sadly it was released very very quietly mainly due to the reception of the N64/PC version, also because of that it never made it to the US. I wouldn't have known it was released if it wasn't for the ROM.

dai_22.gif
dai_23.gif

The plot was very good and surprisingly intricate and you travel from time line to time line, acquiring weapons and stalking the evil Kage Mishima. Ok it was kinda like some other games in its genre but the story adds to the game.

dai_8.gif
dai_11.gif

The game was more of a dungeon crawler, and on each level you'll need to collect a specific object and of course solve a big puzzle which were mostly fairly clever and defeat a boss. The graphics are nice and clear, animations are smooth and some of the characters have some interesting facial expressions. The only downside is the sound effects and music.

A ROM as it happens has been made public by the developers of the game, I won't link it as I'm still not sure if its legal but Google is useful if you want it and I really recommend it to those who loved Zelda, Dragon Warriors or similar style games. It still to this day remains as one of my favourite GBC titles, and its a damn shame that it didn't get the attention it deserved. Any other publisher would've released it under a different name but Kemco didn't.

A video of the GBC version is here.

VVoltz

The Pirate Lord
Trophies
XP
Country
Ouch.
Hadrian is actually John Romero's bitch.

Jokes aside, dude, you rock, always coming with fresh things. This section is gonna rock as much as your "upcoming" one.
Thanks a lot, your efforts to entertain us are deeply appreciated.
About this game, yeah, I remember, only I knew about this one long before it was released, I always wanted to play it but the release I got was broken and it was incompatible with my video card. Yet another lesson of "show first, talk later, or even better, don't talk at all".

Just for the sake of it:
19990324h.jpg

19991122h.jpg

Ruri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I remember that. The GBC version was never actually released in the US, though (it was released in the UK and elsewhere, I think?) The only reason most people know about it is because Romero put the rom up on his website.

It's a decent game, sort of Zelda-like, but more linear and more focused on combat instead of exploring.

BionicC

Trophies
XP
Country
I remember that. The GBC version was never actually released in the US, though (it was released in the UK and elsewhere, I think?)

The two European releases -- one by Lightforce, one by Capital -- have French/German/Spanish and English/French/Italian options so presumebly it was at least released in France, Germany, Spain and Italy...

For reasons I won't go into the GBC version of Daikatana is very close to my heart so thanks for making it one of your "Better on Handheld" choices, Hadrian -- it's made my day!

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah the French/German/Spanish ROM appeared first, which was a shame at the time and then the English one appeared. Virtually no magazine or site bothered with reviewing it and it went unnoticed

I used to have a copy of this but it vanished.
frown.gif

D

Deleted User

Thanks for the heads up Hadrian! I never got into this because the PC game was just awfully over hyped.

[VAF]Flyper

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well, Spanish reviewers said it was crap, so it didn't sold more than 2 copies. BTW, some little stores, or old VHS rental stores in villages or small towns use to sell old GBC preowned games, so, it's not actually difficult to find titles like that, Perfect Dark or International Track&Field.

As for me, I played it for long at 10/11 yo, but it was too boring... Oh yes, europeans translations sucked, as usual.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Least they got head in the end