PS1/2 Best PS1 gaming solution?

Bigwillie450

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been meaning to get back into playing all my Playstation 1 backups, but all I have is a softmodded Phat PS2(SCPH-39001) with freemcboot. It works great with my PS2 backups, but no fliptop and no PS1 backup support. My question is, what is the best way to play PS1 backups with what I have? Do I need to buy a mod chip for my PS2? Do I need to buy a PS1 and a PS1 mod chip? Learn the swap technique?

And what solution has the best success rate (Can it play every game, no glitches, loss of sound etc.)? Does the Breaker Pro work as well as it sounds?

I know, a lot of questions, but I really just want to sit back and play Playstation 1 & 2 games on my nice CRT with a PS2/1 controller. :)

Magsor

I am watching you
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/modbo-4-0-modchip-for-ps2-3000x-5000x-7000x-more-103057
If you can install it.

LockeCole_101629

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
uhm.. PC?
is that out of question? since you mention you going to play it on CRT monitors.
ePSXe is the best solution for PS1 games, compability is near perfect.

if you going to purchase PS1 well.. as for me I don't think I would be happy with loading times and all the problems may come with it.

Bigwillie450

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I'm sure I can, but how well does it work? I find it hard to believe that one little chip can make the PS2 capable of playing EVERY PS2 + PS1 game, All regions and both backup disc + harddrive.

uhm.. PC?
is that out of question? since you mention you going to play it on CRT monitors.

if you going to purchase PS1 well.. as for me I don't think I would be happy with loading times and all the problems may come with it.

Yes, I dislike playing PS1 games on a widescreen monitor, though I admit ePSXe is nice. Are the loading times on every PS1 bad? Do PS1 games on the PS2 have better loading times?

Hacked PSPGo + dock + component cables + dual shock 3 = awesome.

While I have all those things, except the dock, I feel like DS3 + Asus Transformer Prime + Keydock would be kinda cool, but I hear the compatibility isn't too good, and there is still the widescreen aspect. Playing PS1 games on my PSP is what I've been doing lately, but I'm sick of having to play it on such a small screen, not to mention having all the PS1 ISOs and the modded ISO for PSP.

What I really want is either a PS1 I can carry around and plug into TV's that will play ANY PS1 burned disc, or a PS2 I can carry around and plug into TVs that plays any PS1 + PS2 burned disc or any PS1+2 ISO off a Harddrive, altough discs would be best, since my goal when the "PS4" comes out is to have my PS3 play all my PS1, 2, +3 games, and all on it's harddrive. Unless the PS3 emulation doesn't work very well ha.

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
don't play PS1 backups on a chipped phat PS2! the lens strength required for CD backups on PS2 (forced by chip) will cause faster wear and tear..

As for PS1 emu, my PSP3000 does the job smoothly.

Reactions: 1 person

Magsor

I am watching you
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
don't play PS1 backups on a chipped phat PS2! the lens strength required for CD backups on PS2 (forced by chip) will cause faster wear and tear..

As for PS1 emu, my PSP3000 does the job smoothly.

Well OP asked what will get him playing ps1 games with what he has. It will cause wear but but heh for 4$ its really good stuff. the compatibility is just 100% because your console thinks its the real thing. You can find used ps2 for real cheap thses days is you ever have to replace.

Actually in my opinion a CFW Ps3 along with a COBRA USB is the best way but probably also most expensive.

DS1

Tired
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would buy a modded PS1 or hope to find a really old PS1 with a parallel port (there are devices you can plug straight in, don't know how it affects lifespan, but definitely longer than a PS2).

The speed you'll get emulating on your PC (assuming you have a decent PC, and by decent I mean you can run, say, the original Halo game) will be better than anything you get on a PS2. In my opinion, a phat PS2 is worth way more than a PS1, so why risk harming it?

Personally, if I want to play any PS1 games, I just rip them and convert them for use on a PSP100x. It's uncomfortable, but more comfortable than lurching over my laptop to play games or ruining my PS2.

LockeCole_101629

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
uhm.. PC?

Yes, I dislike playing PS1 games on a widescreen monitor, though I admit ePSXe is nice. Are the loading times on every PS1 bad? Do PS1 games on the PS2 have better loading times?
as far as I remember that was nearly 10 years ago, while PS2 Drive can read up to 16x for CD and 4x for DVD (CMIIW for this one)
but it will go down to 4x CD Read automaticly since it was default read system for PS1 (PSX/PSOne)
you also need PS1 memory card to save your games since PS2 MC is not compatible for saving ps1 games.

tbh I never own PS1 system, I always holding back when I want to purchase it, it was before millenium years came, I'm playing all ps1 games via VGS from PC (ePSXe isn't even out yet) with modded parallel port PS1 controller.
until one day a friend just gave it to me, standing near my ps2, I never use it, loading times? Direct iso from hdd vs 4x CD Read (let's assume that PS1 optic is fine) you know the results.

PSPGo is okay, since you want portable stuff, but you can also do that with laptop , or again... a PC that you already own.

Bigwillie450

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, how capable/easy is a HDD on PS2? Err, can I use a HDD to play PS1 games along with PS2? Maybe partition it into two drives one for each? Currently just play PS2 backups rather than a HD, but I have a few to spare if that's an easy/reliable solution.

And yeah the PS3 being my one console for PS1, 2, and 3 is my plan, but I'd rather do it when I no longer use the PSN, which unfortuantly will probably be when the "PS4" is release/end of PS3 lifecycle, since I don't see myself buying another PS3.

And I don't mind buying a PS1 since they're cheap as shit, but seeing as PS1 backups will wear out the PS2 laser, shelling out $20 for a PS1 that can play backups (What is it, a toothpick holding the lid open?)doesn't seem too bad.

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Well OP asked what will get him playing ps1 games with what he has. It will cause wear but but heh for 4$ its really good stuff. the compatibility is just 100% because your console thinks its the real thing. You can find used ps2 for real cheap thses days is you ever have to replace.

Actually in my opinion a CFW Ps3 along with a COBRA USB is the best way but probably also most expensive.

Heh I use PSX CD backups on my ps3. Some claim the lens wear is horrible, but I'm ready to buy another lens replace. The interesting part is, some CDs I have were burnt at 24x so drive will go "faster". But if I burn them at 8x drive will go slower, also good CD media and everything else is pure sweetness. I have 80+ hours on tales of eternia , I had 45+ hours on Star Ocean 2 without any ISSUE on blueray playback, DVD media or so.

I put once a DVD-RW inside and got recognized instantly, but RW media kills lens faster than anything I've heard of. I get the feeling BD drives on slim PS3s are "real" PC DVD/BD drives used because of how they can handle different optical media with ease.

Also, no modchip required so everything works at stock settings by hardware manufacturer, maybe because of how the BD drive behaves while you put different CD/DVD media and speeds up or slows down depending on how you burned those discs.

I like taking risks tough.

As for teh Cobra USB dongle, how is the PSP emulator running games??

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)