OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Hey everyone,
So I live in Australia and want to be able play Chrono Cross and other imports I am planing on buying (possibly a couple of cd-r burns for the more expensive games *Cough* Castlevania *Cough*)

What is the best mod chip I can get, what are the additional features and where is the best place to buy it/them from.

P.S.
Australia is an PAL territory

testkoo

Trophies
XP
Country
MM3 for the original console. ONEchip if it's a PSone.

Why do you say this exactly? This is out of the three main types of chip that exist (that I am aware of) correct? Being the Mayumi v4, the MM3, and the Stealth VII.

I am also interested in this. Specifically for the game Chrono Cross too, and also like the OP, I am also from Australia!

Is it correct though that the stealth type chips only activate themselves during boot, making them ineffective when it comes to post boot disc swap scenarios. So scenarios like you get in games like Chrono Cross, or Final Fantasy, where you are asked to insert disc 2/3/4 etc at certain stages. And in the case of Chrono Cross in particular, i don't even belive you get a chance to save before a disc swap occurs (it just happens).

Currently i have a PSONE console with a chip (not sure which one) but I get the issue where I am unable to switch discs succesfully as mentioned. Is this a problem specific to certain chips or even the PSONE model version itself? I wouldn't be surprised if the PSONE model, being the latest released one, would have the most issues. What are the things that a PS1 older model can do that differs from a PSONE? Am I better of just seeking out an older model instead?

Also would appreciate some answers or testing on the disc swap situation if anybody is able. I think a way to test for this without a current save would be to put in say disc 2 for example, click new game and see if the chip will load disc 1 successfully once the game/console has requested it.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Why do you say this exactly? This is out of the three main types of chip that exist (that I am aware of) correct? Being the Mayumi v4, the MM3, and the Stealth VII.

MM3 and Mayumi are practically the same. Anyway, mm3 is easy to get and works with all games, which is why I suggest that for original. ONEchip is a Psone only chip. The PSone bios has extra checks, which mean you have to use a boot disc for imports. ONEchip is the only chip to patch those checks and can boot imports directly, and is fully compatible with all games, so that's why I suggest that.

Is it correct though that the stealth type chips only activate themselves during boot, making them ineffective when it comes to post boot disc swap scenarios. So scenarios like you get in games like Chrono Cross, or Final Fantasy, where you are asked to insert disc 2/3/4 etc at certain stages. And in the case of Chrono Cross in particular, i don't even belive you get a chance to save before a disc swap occurs (it just happens).

Older stealth chips, maybe. Newer ones like the mm3 or Onechip for the ps1 should have no problem dealing with the disc swap.

I have a ONEchip in mine, I don't have chrono cross, but do have some multi-disc games. I'll check later, but I'm quite sure the ONEchip will do the swap fine.

Last edited by Armadillo,

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just checked on my PAL PSone with a ONEchip installed. Disc swap is fine. Loaded disc 2 of FF8, tried a new game, got asked for disc 1, swapped and it loaded fine. So it's not a problem specific to PSone, must be your chip.

Reactions: Evilengine

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Yeah but I'd tie him up in the females bathroom