Homebrew Best MAME Emulator

MassiR77

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So guys, I'm wondering what the best MAME emulator to get is. I tried the normal MAME emulator a while back but had trouble with the games being stretched and only a few working. I'm told Retroarch is pretty good at emulating most games, so should I go for that one? What else does Retroarch emulate? And should I get the NeoGeo emulator for NeoGeo games?

MassiR77

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks I appreciate it, time to get my arcade game on!

@rogerioronin has linked you to a pot of gold. He has done a fantastic job with these "fork/mod".

@Wiimpathy pretty much rules the nest when it comes to to MAME. Find his MAME 2003 Plus and use it.
Will do! Thanks!

Reactions: rogerioronin

MassiR77

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Few questions regarding these however, are there forwarders associated with them so I can launch them from my home screen? Also, which would you consider to be the best one for overall compatibility, are there compatibility charts? And lastly, I was told that Neo Geo emulation is nearly perfect on Wii, is #3 the same as the Neo Geo CD emulator?

RunningSnakes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
These are all RetroArch cores used specifically for those individual systems. Meaning you must use Final Burn Alpha core for Final Burn Alpha arcade roms, CPS1 core for CPS1 arcade roms etc. No the Neo is not the same as the Neo CD Emulator, but it is much easier to setup & plays the same titles. Check out @mastershoes forwarder thread for RetroArch forwarder. I highly recommend you use the above links as @rogerioronin has provided everything it would take a newcomer months or years to gather. Read his instructions for installation, he has provided compatibility as well. Warning, there is a learning curve to RetroArch but I promise it is worth your time if you are careful. RetroArch also emulates Sega(All), NES, SNES, GB(C), PCE(CD) "TG16(CD)", WonderSwan, NeoGeoPocket, very well - outstanding. Happy Gaming

MassiR77

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
These are all RetroArch cores used specifically for those individual systems. Meaning you must use Final Burn Alpha core for Final Burn Alpha arcade roms, CPS1 core for CPS1 arcade roms etc. No the Neo is not the same as the Neo CD Emulator, but it is much easier to setup & plays the same titles. Check out @mastershoes forwarder thread for RetroArch forwarder. I highly recommend you use the above links as @rogerioronin has provided everything it would take a newcomer months or years to gather. Read his instructions for installation, he has provided compatibility as well. Warning, there is a learning curve to RetroArch but I promise it is worth your time if you are careful. RetroArch also emulates Sega(All), NES, SNES, GB(C), PCE(CD) "TG16(CD)", WonderSwan, NeoGeoPocket, very well - outstanding. Happy Gaming
I might have more questions because I am still new to the homebrew game, but I found a tutorial by TechJames: for Retroarch and it seems pretty straight forward.
1. When I install it should I delete all the cores and only use ones I am going to use?
2. Is there a way to make a game link to a core so I don't need to change the core every time?

RunningSnakes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would delete all cores you do not plan on using. Keep all folders, .empty file, meta.xml, icon.png & boot.dol along with all cores you plan on using. You can rename them anything you like...examples...Nintendo NES...Sega...PCEngine SGFX...etc.

What the video did not provide was instructions on setting up "Directory" paths for your games.

1. Create a folder named "roms" on the root of your SD or USB.

2. Inside roms folder, create folders for your roms like so...Arcade, Atari, Nintendo, Sega, PcEngine.

3. One step further, inside each of these folders create folders for your systems...example...
SD>roms>Arcade>MAME 2003 Plus
SD>roms>Arcade>CPS2
SD>roms>Atari>Atari 2600
SD>roms>Atari>Atari Lynx
SD>roms>Sega>Sega Genesis
SD>roms>Sega>Sega CD
SD>roms>Nintendo>NES
SD>roms>Nintendo>SNES
SD>roms>Nintendo>Game Boy Advance

Place all your roms-iso files in their respective folders. I Hope you get the Idea...

4. Now open RetroArch in Wii & Load any core. "For this i'll use Nintendo FCEUMM" now go to.......

Settings>Directory>File Browser>sd:/>roms>Nintendo>NES.....then click on <Use this directory>

Back out to Main Menu by pressing the 1 button a few times, then click on......

Load Content>Start Directory.....You should see all of your NES games and simply select one to play.

Do this procedure for all of your corresponding consoles & arcade game roms-iso files.

Some systems require BIOS files, so you will likely have to hunt them down & you will place them in "SD>retroarch>system" folder

Sega CD, PCE CD, Atari Lynx all require BIOS that i can think of right off hand, that is it for now. Good Luck

Last edited by RunningSnakes,
Reactions: MassiR77

Kryptikz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@rogerioronin is there any way you could fix the save remaps and auto load remaps on the .8 version of the neo geo core? This core works so well! If core and game remaps and auto load was working it would be absolutely amazing! I tried the alternative version and it wouldn't work. It wouldn't save my new configs or auto load my remaps. .8 fix I will love you forever lol.

Last edited by Kryptikz,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I hate these DIY furniture kits so bad