Homebrew Best Genesis emulator

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You have two choices if you're interested in fixing the screen-

1- Accept the screen cropping and enjoy almost constant full speed in all games with sound
2- play with an older version that squishes the screen, yet has no sound and is extremely slow

He made the choice of implementing sound and great speed at the expense of the screen being cropped. That is the only way to play the games fast and with sound, and it is an excellent compromise if you ask me. If you're like me, you'd just disable all screen scaling and just deal with slightly offcenter huds.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In jEnesisDS 0.74, all you have to do is set the emu option "Follow Dpad" to ON. That pretty much solves the problem of having to fiddle with screen centering. You move to the right, it scrolls so you can see the right side of the screen and vice versa. I found it to be very useful and it works well. Not a full-proof solution, but the best you can hope for considering the alternatives.

SgtThom

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
granville said:

1- Accept the screen cropping and enjoy almost constant full speed in all games with sound
2- play with an older version that squishes the screen, yet has no sound and is extremely slow

He made the choice of implementing sound and great speed at the expense of the screen being cropped. That is the only way to play the games fast and with sound, and it is an excellent compromise if you ask me. If you're like me, you'd just disable all screen scaling and just deal with slightly offcenter huds.

Which is why the Ds is terrible with emulators.

Depravo

KALSARIKÄNNIT
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
SgtThom said:
granville said:

While it's not perfect I wouldn't call it 'terrible'. All the games I've tried are perfectly playable even if you can't see your lives and score at the same time.

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
SgtThom said:
granville said:

You're a PSP fanboy, I presume?

choconado

Doesn't understand a damn thing on here
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If you're playing in three-button mode, the shoulder buttons scroll left and right too. But I rarely have had a big problem with it (you pretty much have to adjust it to see some important menu stuff in say, Shadowrun (best genesis game ever, btw) but even that's just to read stuff)

SgtThom

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hoverlord Nadrian said:
SgtThom said:
granville said:

You're a PSP fanboy, I presume?

No. I don't even have one.It still doesn't change the fact the Ds's ARM9 is too weak for emulation.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's a very foolish and childish comment. PSP must be terrible at emulation because it can't play N64 games perfectly. Or all commercially available PC's must suck because they can't play all Wii games perfectly. Core i7 must suck because it can't emulate PS2 or even Xbox perfectly. See the trend? All things suck at perfectly emulating SOMETHING. Give it a rest. >_>

Just because DS can't perfectly emulate Genesis, doesn't mean it sucks at emulation. Get that through your head kid. Why'd you even respond to this topic? You have no purpose or constructive comments to post.

choconado

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
yeah, it's not a PERFECT emulation, but it's still well over 95% in quality.

And it runs all the games without qualm.

That's really what's important, isn't it?

EDIT: Instead of starting a new thread, I'll ask this question here: Any ideas for how to port a save file from one rom to another? Cause it turns out my shadowrun rom is corrupt (I can't use the vid-phone, or the game crashes)

SgtThom

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
choconado said:
yeah, it's not a PERFECT emulation, but it's still well over 95% in quality.

And it runs all the games without qualm.

That's really what's important, isn't it?

EDIT: Instead of starting a new thread, I'll ask this question here: Any ideas for how to port a save file from one rom to another? Cause it turns out my shadowrun rom is corrupt (I can't use the vid-phone, or the game crashes)

I think you have to rename the save file to the ROM your using(make sure it's the same game).

choconado

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
well, I tried that...and it didn't work.
frown.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: :discuss: