Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

DarkShinigami

#1 strongest Shinigami BANKAI
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dood you missed rpg and survival horror.

i sorta dislike survival horror for now thanks to SH i just got it offa the psn and i scared me phychotically shitless regurd less i cant vote rpg is the best genre in my opinion

never mind missing survival horror but its still missing rpg

Ikki

GBATemp's grumpy panda.
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
I voted for platformers. 2D and 3D. All awesome.
Hella fun games. You can play them at your pace, generally replay them. Come back to collect shit if you want a 100%

Unfortunately it's a dying genre. I hope the 3DS means a comeback of it with all the "depth perception makes jumping around better" shiz.

Now, my schtuff on the other genres.

Action: Good if you want, well, action. They have to be well made though. It's easy to fuck it up.
FPS: Satisfying genre. Nice to lower your stress levels.
Strategy: Boring. The only strategy game I've liked is Disgaea.
Puzzle: Great genre. The satisfaction of figuring a puzzle out is amazing.
Racing: What can I say? Played one, played them all. With exceptions, of course. If it has a nice sense of speed, sign me in but I wouldn't buy more than two.
Sports: A boring and lame genre.
Adventure: Great genre as well if done right. As well as action games, it's easy to fuck it up.
Survival Horror: Great genre too. I like to be on the edge of my seat.
RPG: Mixed feelings. I generally like them but they are very story based. So, it depends on how well the story is, how much I get into the game.

My favorite games are an adventure game (Ocarina of Time) and a FPS (Half Life), yet I picked platformer as my best genre because it's more probable that I like a platforming game than an adventure game. And don't get me started with FPS', the most generic title full genre.

Shockwind

SHINEEE!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
RPG, Strategy, and Adventure. But I like Adventure games the best because I enjoyed playing these kind of games the most.
happy.gif

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Action Adventures, and over the top artistic stuff ( No More Heroes , Madworld, HOTD Overkill, Sin&Punishment 2, etc)
But Mainly ORIGINAL stuff wich had a lot of work and imagination going into it developing.
So no MOH and COD for me. Also Movie games are a BIG No-No.

To Sum:
Metroid Prime Trilogy, All Zelda, MH Tri, SMGalaxy, Rune Factory Frontier,Little King's Story,World of Goo, Fluidity,Lost Winds,DKC Returns, Deadspace Extraction etc.
But also the Half Life 2 series...EPIC Sci-Fi game Imho.

KingdomBlade

Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)
Trophies
Website
meekpicture.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Agree with Hells Malice. Whichever you enjoy. It shouldn't be best, it should be FAVORITE. There's a difference.

If it's my favorite we're talking about, it's none. I enjoy all genres, it just depends if the game is good or not. I didn't vote.

Also, there's some genres missing. Simulation and Rhythm namely.

In addition, FPS should be changed to Shooter/Shooting. It's either you do that or add Third Person Shooter. I don't understand why the entire shooting genre is referred to as FPS, there's a lot of amazing third person shooters out there.

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was caught between Adventure and RPG, when I noticed Platformer. I picked Platformer because they're perfect and pure. The only thing wrong with them is your own skill level.

Anyone who disagrees with that sentiment needs to play IWBTG and Super Meat Boy.

(Side-note: I don't consider the newer Sonic games platformers anymore. Not even the 2D ones like Colors and Sonic 4. They're a genre of their own.)

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
I'll play games from most genres, it's styles of game I avoid. Generally my rules are that if a game is based on the more moronic elements of today's culture (IE: 50 Cent's Blood On The Sand) or games that replicate something I could just as easily do in reality (Sims) then I avoid them. My top five games of all time seem to stay within a very limited genre selection though.

5) Outrun 2006 (driving/racing). I love the changing scenery.

4) Afterburner Climax (flying). Changing scenery, fast gameplay and fighter jets. Win.

3) Final Fantasy series 1-10. Mostly 7. (RPG). A good way to escape the mundanity of reality.

2) Mass Effect 2 (RPG?). Doesn't matter how many times I finish it I always come back for more.

1) Starwing/Lylat Wars tied (flying). I've been finishing both games at least once a week for over a decade and I'm still not bored of either.

I'll play more or less any genre, although I tend not to venture into sports games, survival horror, or shooters which are built solely for online play. I prefer having a good balance of single and multiplayer content, I don't always want to be online being insulted by moronic twelve year old Ali G Wannabes.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I can't decide.
cry.gif

Candidates:

FPS: I can't stand those 'realistic' style FPS, but with UT, doom, quake, serious sam and half life, there's more than enough fun to be had. Sucks on consoles, though (on-rails shooters save the day here).

Strategy: I've played my share offline but never REALLY caught on to me...until starcraft 2 came around.

Action: I just love those arcade-style beat 'm ups.

Platformer and adventure (can't really distinguish): they have their share of good games.

Puzzle: I used to not like these, but I'm playing much more on handhelds nowadays...and puzzles are by far the best genre for quick 'pick up 'n play' games.

Runner-ups:

Sports: didn't bother with it until the wii came along (liked Tony Hawk only because it was over the top). Now I can't deny that wii fit has its moments.

RPG: I've played a handfull RPG's I liked, but the turn-based stuff isn't my thing (fallout 1&2 were exceptions).

Rythm: I play guitar hero games from time to time to relax. Nothing I would miss, though.

Simulation: it's been since sim city 2000 since I played one for a longer time.

Racing: I'm a fan of trackmania, but that's mostly it.

KingdomBlade

Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)
Trophies
Website
meekpicture.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Fighting Genre. Forgot that one. Add that.

Action - Beat em Ups are always fun to play, although they do get tiresome.
FPS - I like them, mostly in multi-player. Most fun to play with a friend. I also like ones with a sci-fi theme.
Strategy - Civilization IV ranks high on my favorite games, so it's pretty great.
Platformer - Mario is great, although I only sometimes play them, some 3D ones are good as well.
Puzzle - I love puzzles, brain twisters, stuff like that, brain exercise is always important.
Racing - Burnout is damn epic, NFS is good sometimes. Mario Kart is nice, although I suck at it.
Sports - The occasional basketball or wrestling game is nice, so is Wii Sports and Wii Fit.
Adventure - Of course Zelda is fun, not necessarily my fave genre but there's a lot of good games here.
Survival Horror - Played very few of these but all of them were intensely atmospheric.
RPG - Of course since some of my fave games are RPG's, I like the genre. There are some RPG's that I don't really like though.
Action Adventure - Not really sure how this differs from adventure....
Rhythm - Love rhythm games as a casual past time. Guitar Hero and Taiko are always great fun.
Simulation - Loved SimCity, Spore, and The Sims series, although it gets tiresome sometimes, it's still really fun.
3rd Person Shooters - Max Payne and Resident Evil were fantastic games, although my knowledge of the genre is limited.

Nope. Still can't pick.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Minor note: You spelled "rhythm" wrong. Could just be a typo, but it doesn't really matter.

- Action: Depends on what you consider action or action adventure. Zelda is decidedly an action-adventure series but you could classify say No More Heroes as both. If you put like No More Heroes, MadWorld, Devil May Cry, etc in this category, then it's definitely a strong contender.
- FPS: Kinda 50/50. On on hand, you get awesome FPS games like TF2 (I don't give a shit about people bitching about hats, it's still a fun multiplayer FPS), L4D (classic!), hell even Halo Reach (it's not all that bad if you don't take the multiplayer seriously and just bounce around free matches). On the other hand, I find all these "OMG REALISM" FPS games to be boring as hell. I guess you could classify FPAs in this category like Half Life or Metroid Prime. Probably not high up on the list for me.
- Strategy: I got bored of it a pretty long time ago. I don't like RTS games and the only recent strategy title I've been able to pick up and stick to lately is Valkyria Chronicles II. Most other things seem really boring now.
- Platformer: Usually they're fun but short affairs. You'll play them once and probably never pick them up again. That's mainly my issue with them. But I do love say Crash Bandicoot, Spyro, Jak and Daxter, and some Mario games (I'd be lying if I said I liked SM64 and Sunshine). 2D platformers, there's like some Mario games (SMB, SMB3, SMW), Castlevania (well, pretty much only Symphony of the Night and the DS games), and Metroid (I wasn't a big fan of Super Metroid for some reason but I loved Zero Mission and Fusion). Still not the top genre for me though.
- Puzzle: Tetris = infinite hours of playtime. Some puzzle games are complete crap, others are awesome though.
- Racing: Burnout, Crash Team Racing (the PSX original), maybe Mario Kart (although I still find it completely overshadowed by CTR), and a few unknown titles like Sideswiped. It can be fun.
- Sports: Ew, pass.
- Adventure: If this is like point-and-click affairs like Phoenix Wright then I'll pass. I don't like the genre as a whole.
- Survival horror: Some of the Resident Evil games are good, some of Silent Hill games are good, but largely it's not a genre I'm crazy about. Fun with friends, boring on your own.
- RPG: My favorite genre most likely. Most of the other genres here can skimp on singleplayer and just go "Oh, there's multiplayer though!" For RPGs, you usually can't do it, and if you do, it won't completely overtake the single player. With games that consistently offer hundreds of hours of game time in single player, its probably my favorite.
- Action Adventure: I'm assuming this is more like Zelda-type games but it's pretty much the same comment as action.
- Rhythm: I like some Rock Band games but everything else is just bleh.
- Simulation: I played the Sims 2 a lot as a kid, everything else is completely boring.
- TPS: I prefer them over FPS games but there's not a lot of solid TPS games. Only relatively fun TPS I found recently was RDR (which is more of a general sandbox game).
- Fighting (since you forgot it): It really depends for me. I'm a fan of the more simple fighting games that appeared lately. Marvel vs. Capcom 3 is awesome, Tatsunoko vs. Capcom is awesome, and then there's some "sorta-kinda fighters" like Dissidia and Super Smash Bros. that kick ass. Fun genre but if you throw me Street Fighter (well, I'd have to give it more practice), BlazBlue, etc, I'll probably pass.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnRVIC7kS4s