Before reporting downgrade bricks - Things that you should check + Potential solutions

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Ev1l0rd, Jan 5, 2016.

1. Ev1l0rd
    OP

Ev1l0rd (⌐◥▶◀◤) Knight of Void

Oct 26, 2015
    Netherlands
    Land of Darkness and Bounty
    So I just succeeded in downgrading my O3ds. The process is not at all that difficult but there are users reporting system bricks. Here are the things that you have to check before reporting a system brick:
    • Did you do a hash check on the zip? Use http://onlinemd5.com/ to check the hashes. The correct hashes are listed on the Tutorial threads. If your files are corrupt we can't help you.
    • Are all the files copied? The total amount of downgrade CIA is different for each package. Check that the amount of files matches the ones in the zip. I've had my SD card accidentally unmounted on my computer and eventually only ~65 (out of 130) files were copied. Check this before beginning.
    • Did you get the correct region/firmware? If you didn't, we can't help you.

That being said, there are a few thing that you can do yourself in case something breaks/sysupdater refuses to work:
    • If you can still access the Homemenu/settings app, just update using the normal way. No files are lost and nothing will go wrong until Nintendo releases 10.4>=. This can happen if not all CIA's were installed.
    • In case your 3ds blackscreens, remove your SD card first. Homemenuhax might be causing trouble.
    • If you can't access Homemenu/settings app, and your 3DS blackscreens and you already removed your SD card, you've got a soft brick. The most common causes of these are the things I told you to check. To fix a soft-brick hold L+R+A+UP whilst booting your 3DS and select to update.
    • If you can get access to the settings app, but can't update, disable Tubehax DNS. Then update again.
    • If you can't get access to the settings app, but can get access to homemenu, update using a card. To find out with what version you can update with which card go to http://www.3dsdb.com/. This should work, even if you have Tubehax DNS enabled.
    • If you can't get access to any of these (but can get access to safe mode!) you need to try and connect whilst you have no connection (go out of range on network). This will open WiFi settings and you should be able to disable Tubehax DNS from there.
    • If you can't get access to WiFi settings... good luck!
    • If you can't get into safe mode, you have a hard brick. Good luck!

Last edited by Ev1l0rd, Jan 5, 2016
  2. Ratatapa

Ratatapa GBAtemp Fan

Aug 3, 2015
    Canada
    130 files? my rar only has 102

Can i have a new link in PM plz?

3. Substance12

Substance12 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 2, 2015
    Argentina
    The number of CIAs is different depending on the package you downloaded, not all have 130 CIAs. My N3DS 9.2.0-20U package, for example, had 102 CIAs.

4. Ratatapa

Ratatapa GBAtemp Fan

Aug 3, 2015
    Canada
    Ok then, so i'm just unlucky about getting softbricked

Thinking about formating and restarting from scratch

5. Ev1l0rd
    OP

Oct 26, 2015
    Netherlands
    @Ratatapa @Substance12 I edited OP. The amount of files in each zip differs so you just need to check that the amount of files in your zip matches those on your SD card.

6. Mrrraou

Mrrraou GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Oct 17, 2015
    France
    People should also check by removing SD card, menuhax could be the issue.

7. Ev1l0rd
    OP

Oct 26, 2015
    Netherlands
  8. Viri

Viri GBAtemp Maniac

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    That black screen caused me to nearly have a heart attack, I ripped out my sd card, and hearing that jingle of the system menu introducing me to themes, never sounded so damn good.

TheKawaiiDesu likes this.
  9. ZeroShift

ZeroShift Member

Newcomer
    Sep 23, 2008
    United States
    I'd personally advise against using onlinemd5.com, when I used it to check all of my zips it spit out the same hash for each one even though the ones I checked were VERY different.

I personally recommend software MD5 checkers like WinMD5 Free for Windows.