Hacking banner brick

bestperson

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i know this question has been asked before.

is it possible to run a wad through one of the banner editing tools to check and make sure the wad is safe and will not cause a banner brick?

I remember reading a post from somebody that said as long as the bad banner is on the 2nd page of channels you are safe. Is this true? My wad manager channel is on the second page of channels right now so whenever im done exiting the wad manager it boots back up to the 2nd page anyway. would that still make me safe?

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
bestperson said:
i know this question has been asked before.

is it possible to run a wad through one of the banner editing tools to check and make sure the wad is safe and will not cause a banner brick?

I remember reading a post from somebody that said as long as the bad banner is on the 2nd page of channels you are safe. Is this true? My wad manager channel is on the second page of channels right now so whenever im done exiting the wad manager it boots back up to the 2nd page anyway. would that still make me safe?

that's not true! location of the channel doesn't matter.
if corrupt (bad) it will banner brick your wii no matter in page 1, 2 or whatever.

and for the first question : no it's not possible, you have to make sure everything is right checking bits and pieces and doing it carefully in the order that is proved to work.

bestperson

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what exactly is the order that is proved to work?

is it basically only installing scene released office wads not injected wads?

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
bestperson said:
what exactly is the order that is proved to work?

is it basically only installing scene released office wads not injected wads?

Well I thought you wanted to do custom banners... I was talking about that. Just follow the right tutorials and always check the produced wads, and the rest of the packed stuff (especially 0.app that also contains banners)

If you are only a user...
Just be careful as to what you download and what you install... limit yourself to known sites and watch for the comments... since it's pretty easy to fully brick a wii

like here
smile.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmV5tTsHhq8

ps1: in the above video the guy modified the anytitle deleter to delete system menu... beware it's as easy to do that in a few lines of c code

bestperson

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thank you for your help and responses.

is there a guide somewhere though that shows you how to check a wad before you install it to make sure it is a safe wad?

i have installed and uninstalled about 10 different wads and have had no problems. I'm just trying to be cautious.

bestperson

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that would be a really nice tool.

what about the people that make their own custom banners. couldn't there be some sort of way to use some of those tools to check the wad?

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
You can check the integrity of the wad / banners and stuff but that you can't detect malicious code with a simple application. For those who create the banners and wads can take the existing brick recovery measures beforehand. And the average users should just be careful. I don't think someone will code an antivirus type of software for wii. So total protection is not possible...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @CameronCataclysm...