Hacking Question Backup XCI Not Working Online

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
No need, I found a 100% file online so you didn't have to worry. Does your balloon world work on Stock or Atmosphere? If it does, maybe sx os 3.0.2 will fix it?

Sorry for the shitty phone camera recording. I didn't feel like hooking up my capture card, but this should get the point across.

Thanks for the video I forgot to mention it was with sxos not stock firmware did you test this under sxos v3.0.2 I appreciate the video :) My son misses balloon world I might need to ask Nintendo technical department but I’m not sure if might be sxos at fault here. The server errors been going on now for 12 days so somethings wrong.

Last edited by Reecey,

Reecey

Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah it works on both. Can't he just play balloon world on stock firmware?
Yes I I’ve tried on stock firmware still doesn’t work throws up the same server error. I’m starting to think maybe Nintendo have banned me from using Mario Odyssey online Balloon World I’m not sure why the reason of this would be I cannot recall doing anything wrong but it’s looking like that. It’s certainly not a full ban it’s been over 14 days now they would of banned me by now, if this is the case usually a ban is instant. Nintendo might be checking me that can happen.

Last edited by Reecey,

MeAndHax

Impolite person with some modding knowledge.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If you check out v3.0.0 sxos thread I’ve explained the problem to someone else in a bit more detail but to break it down quickly Nintendo added an extra layer of check in 9x firmware that xci backup (freeze) cannot pass and this check is ran through every title. Your only option now is to buy genuine titles of eshop or use a retail gamecard and play online that way through cfw. I now personally would say it’s a very good idea, it stops online cheating and general bad online activity that shouldn’t be happening.
can you link the extra layer explanation in more detail? I mean the thread where you explained it further, can't find it

nightweb

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
can you link the extra layer explanation in more detail? I mean the thread where you explained it further, can't find it

I'm not sure it can be linked as with rules and such, I did see the response and I'll quote it below I think

"Currently on SXOS 3.0.0 and 10.0.2
I’ve copied this answer for you from gbatemp from myself I have been given a full explanation by expert devs I hope this helps and the thread.

This is something that will never be fixed, it’s not sxos cfw at fault here it’s an extra layered check Nintendo servers do that was implemented in 9x firmware when online is activated which an xci backup cannot pass this is why the freeze happens, the online server checks every game and this is why all xci back ups freeze and when you turn stealth mode on they do not because the check cannot get through you will also notice if you download an illegal nsp install it and try and connect online it will show a server problem acting very similar to the xci backup not letting you access the online part of the game. Your only option is to buy & use legit online titles that are worth purchasing and playing and there’s not that many in the Nintendo library, this is what I did in the end it’s the only way to access online features within a game in cfw. If TX do manage to find a way around this issue in the future then that would be great for all of us but don’t hold any hope of this been fixed unless they can break the check Nintendo servers look for which tbh I doubt this can ever be done."

Reactions: MeAndHax

MeAndHax

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'm not sure it can be linked as with rules and such, I did see the response and I'll quote it below I think

I’ve copied this answer for you from gbatemp from myself I have been given a full explanation by expert devs I hope this helps and the thread.

This is something that will never be fixed, it’s not sxos cfw at fault here it’s an extra layered check Nintendo servers do that was implemented in 9x firmware when online is activated which an xci backup cannot pass this is why the freeze happens, the online server checks every game and this is why all xci back ups freeze and when you turn stealth mode on they do not because the check cannot get through you will also notice if you download an illegal nsp install it and try and connect online it will show a server problem acting very similar to the xci backup not letting you access the online part of the game. Your only option is to buy & use legit online titles that are worth purchasing and playing and there’s not that many in the Nintendo library, this is what I did in the end it’s the only way to access online features within a game in cfw. If TX do manage to find a way around this issue in the future then that would be great for all of us but don’t hold any hope of this been fixed unless they can break the check Nintendo servers look for which tbh I doubt this can ever be done."
thanks; im still interested though in what it exactly checks for; it surprises me because xci is a 1:1 image of a cartridge

Last edited by MeAndHax,

nightweb

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
thanks; im still interested though in what it exactly checks for; it surprises me because xci is a 1:1 image of a cartridge

I'd be interested too, but I think it might have somethign to do with the card reader firmware that was updated, i think the new commands aren't understood by the xci loader rather than the imagine not having the info, but I don't know anything really just curious

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually...that is not the case. Current .XCI files are NOT 1:1 copies of cartridges. Lotus for the most part is still a black box (much like TSEC until firmware 6.2) so part of retail carts are not dumped with our current technology. If Lotus were to be hypothetically fully cracked, every single .XCI file ever dumped would have to redumped because they are missing something that we cannot currently dump.

Reactions: Lacius and MeAndHax

Reecey

Trophies
XP
Country
Actually...that is not the case. Current .XCI files are NOT 1:1 copies of cartridges. Lotus for the most part is still a black box (much like TSEC until firmware 6.2) so part of retail carts are not dumped with our current technology. If Lotus were to be hypothetically fully cracked, every single .XCI file ever dumped would have to redumped because they are missing something that we cannot currently dump.
It is the case unfortunately I have been told by cfw devs! I’m not going to mention who but it is a check by Nintendo that the switch online part carry’s out, it has nothing to do with an exact 1:1 copy of a gamecard, the check stops pirate nsp games as well just the same way from accessing the online features so it has nothing to do with copying the gamecard files properly. It can never be fixed I would move on and purchase genuine online titles that are worth playing this is the only answer. I came across this problem months ago when 9x firmware was introduced I was the first to notice and report the issue to TX I’ve spoken to many people about this in the past to try and resolve but it cannot be done..

Edit: firmware 9.2.0 came out back in March this year and that was when Nintendo implemented the check and that was roughly when I first found out and reported it to TX, if the issue could of been resolved by now it would of been done.

Last edited by Reecey,

MeAndHax

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

It is the case unfortunately I have been told by cfw devs! I’m not going to mention who but it is a check by Nintendo that the switch online part carry’s out, it has nothing to do with an exact 1:1 copy of a gamecard, the check stops pirate nsp games as well just the same way from accessing online features so it has nothing to do with copying the gamecard files properly. It can never be fixed I would move on and purchase genuine online titles that are worth playing this is the only answer to the problem. I came across this problem months ago when 9x firmware was introduced I was the first to notice and report the issue to TX I’ve spoken to many people about this in the past to try and resolve but it cannot be done..
okay but XCI act like mounted cartridges so how can they check if it’s a copied one or real if it would be a 1:1 copy; nobody is mentioning nsps here

i mean they can’t forbid real cartridges from going online

yeah I’ve seen the sx os 2.9.2 thread on xecuter where you cried a huge lot because of that lol

Last edited by MeAndHax,

Reecey

Trophies
XP
Country
okay but XCI act like mounted cartridges so how can they check if it’s a copied one or real if it would be a 1:1 copy; nobody is mentioning nsps here

yeah I’ve seen the sx os 2.9.2 thread on xecuter where you cried a huge lot because of that lol
Nintendo’s check works on all games xci & nsp exactly the same, it has nothing to do with dumping a gamecard properly. Nintendo can run a check on every game to find out if it’s legit or not but devs and know one else knows how this check works only Nintendo knows that part remember we don’t know everything on how Nintendo works. Your right I made a huge deal at the beginning I was gutted but when I found out after many conversations it could never be fixed I bought the online games worth playing and moved on!

Last edited by Reecey,

MeAndHax

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Nintendo’s check works on all games xci & nsp exactly the same, it has nothing to do with dumping a gamecard properly. Your right I made a huge deal at the beginning I was gutted but when I found out after many conversations it could never be fixed I bought the online games worth playing and moved on!
Nsps are easy to check because legit games are tied to an account on Eshop but cartridges can be resold so they can’t check if it’s tied to a console or if it’s legit!

Reecey

Trophies
XP
Country
Nsps are easy to check because legit games are tied to an account on Eshop but cartridges can be resold so they can’t check if it’s tied to a console or if it’s legit!
I know this before pre 9x firmware you could still use a pirate nsp online and it worked but after Nintendo introduced the check in 9.2.0 firmware this stopped and if you tried to access the online feature part of that game you would be greeted with a server error code and a ban would follow.

Edit: let’s say for example it was fixed and you could use xci backups online and the freeze did not happen you would have exactly the same outcome as an installed pirate nsp on your switch you would go to use the online feature of that game and you would get a server error code box pop up and a ban would follow.

Last edited by Reecey,

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is the case unfortunately I have been told by cfw devs! I’m not going to mention who but it is a check by Nintendo that the switch online part carry’s out, it has nothing to do with an exact 1:1 copy of a gamecard, the check stops pirate nsp games as well just the same way from accessing the online features so it has nothing to do with copying the gamecard files properly. It can never be fixed I would move on and purchase genuine online titles that are worth playing this is the only answer. I came across this problem months ago when 9x firmware was introduced I was the first to notice and report the issue to TX I’ve spoken to many people about this in the past to try and resolve but it cannot be done..

Edit: firmware 9.2.0 came out back in March this year and that was when Nintendo implemented the check and that was roughly when I first found out and reported it to TX, if the issue could of been resolved by now it would of been done.
Um no its due to .XCI files not being properly dumped. This information comes straight from blawar/vertigo who knows more than both of us combined. And nobody is willing to 'fix' this issue because not only would it be difficult to crack Lotus but .XCI files aren't meant to be played online.

As I just said, .XCI files are not 1:1 copies so they would fail any additional checks Nintendo implemented.

Reecey

Trophies
XP
Country
Um no its due to .XCI files not being properly dumped. This information comes straight from blawar/vertigo who knows more than both of us combined. And nobody is willing to 'fix' this issue because not only would it be difficult to crack Lotus but .XCI files aren't meant to be played online.

As I just said, .XCI files are not 1:1 copies so they would fail any additional checks Nintendo implemented.
Well obviously blawar doesn’t know what he’s talking about! I have actually been told in detail in conversation from devs that work on cfw you cannot argue with that and have tried to resolve this particular issue. You cannot bypass the online check this is the reason, it has nothing to do with the gamecard not being dumped properly also the xci’s worked flawless online pre 9.2.0 firmware and then stopped when this firmware was installed so why would the problem have anything to do with a 1:1 dumped gamecard as you say is the solution which worked all ok on the previous firmware. The online features stopped working for xci & nsp games soon as 9.2.0 firmware was installed and I know this personally I always used online backups regularly and they stopped working with beta sxos 2.9.0 and firmware 9.2.0 on the switch.

Edit: if your saying it’s down to the gamecard not being copied on a 1:1 basis then a proper scene release, which is an exact extraction should work with an injected certificate? Which I have tested this method out months ago and it gives exactly the same results so no, it’s not down to a gamecard being copied thoroughly..

Last edited by Reecey,
Reactions: MonMonz

MeAndHax

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Well obviously blawar doesn’t know what he’s talking about! I have actually been told in detail in conversation from devs that work on cfw you cannot argue with that and have tried to resolve this particular issue. You cannot bypass the online check this is the reason, it has nothing to do with the gamecard not being dumped properly also the xci’s worked flawless online pre 9.2.0 firmware and then stopped when this firmware was installed so why would the problem have anything to do with a 1:1 dumped gamecard as you say is the solution which worked all ok on the previous firmware. The online features stopped working for xci & nsp games soon as 9.2.0 firmware was installed and I know this personally I always used online backups regularly and they stopped working with beta sxos 2.9.0 and firmware 9.2.0 on the switch.
Explain the “details” you always talk about

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Edit: if your saying it’s down to the gamecard not being copied on a 1:1 basis then a proper scene release, which is an exact extraction should work with an injected certificate? Which I have tested this method out months ago and it gives exactly the same results so no, it’s not down to a gamecard being copied thoroughly..
That is not what I am saying. Personal dumps and proper scene releases are no different to each other. They both lack the extra black box magic which current tools cannot extract. Neither .XCI files nor retail cartridges changed after firmware 9.2 was introduced. Therefore its logical to surmise that Nintendo introduced a check that backups cannot pass because Nintendo is aware of what we lack.

RednaxelaNnamtra

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
That is not what I am saying. Personal dumps and proper scene releases are no different to each other. They both lack the extra black box magic which current tools cannot extract. Neither .XCI files nor retail cartridges changed after firmware 9.2 was introduced. Therefore its logical to surmise that Nintendo introduced a check that backups cannot pass because Nintendo is aware of what we lack.
Since the lotus firmware is still a Blackbox, in theory it could even be already existing and dumpeable data, that is used to generate the right result in the gamecard asic, from the seed comming from nintendos server.
But to know what exactly is done and allow online again, the lotus firmware would need to be reversed either way, otherwise everything from the seed entering the gamecard asic to retrieving the return value is just speculation anyway ^^

About nsps, as far as I know they where detectable all along, since the tickets contain a cert similar to the one used in gamecards, that was always used for authentication when going online.
And as far as I know the seed authentication part added in 9.x is only used for game cards since only they have a dedicated asic that can run code for generating the result, at least that's what I took away from the discussion of multiple of the devs in the switch scene.

About tx having not added a fix for it yet, either they didn't find a way to access the decrypted gamecard asic firmware, or what I thin is more likely, they didn't try to fix it, since it only affects a small percentage of their userbase, and going online in sxos was never officially support anyway.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0FyqCEfD0E