Backup Wii Games

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Midnightzak, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Midnightzak
    OP

Midnightzak GBAtemp Regular

Aug 5, 2008
    United States
    I haven't done my research yet but figured I'd be asking this question eventually anyway so...

Wondering the application of choice for PC (WinXP) for ripping Wii games to ISO? Do I use a special Wii application or something like Alcohol / Nero?

If someone could point me at a guide or maybe post up some general steps it would be most appreciated.

Since the backup loader(s) are being created I've decided I might as well backup my games, better safe then sorry!

Anyway, sorry for the probably noobish question but thanks for any input!

2. Miles

Miles GBAtemp Fan

Apr 28, 2008
    United States
  3. Rock Raiyu

Rock Raiyu Clock Up

Jul 14, 2007
    United States
    Walking the path of heaven
    There are several ways you can backup Wii games. You can use Waninkoko's Dumper which dumps to your front SD, or Wi-Fi. There's a homebrew called WiiHTTD which acts as a webserver for your Wii. You can access it through your computer and dump it from there. Some DVD Drives (I believe the Lite-On Drives) can dump them just by putting the DVD in the slot and waiting a few hours. Those are the only options I know of right now.

4. Lumstar

Lumstar Princess

Mar 6, 2006
    United States
    Darling
    It might be possible to backup smaller games to SD. Although the slot currently has a 2GB card limit, making that option not ideal.

The best way is using special DVD drive models to back games up via PC. Wii discs use a non-standard file system, so most drives don't read them.

5. Miles

Miles GBAtemp Fan

Apr 28, 2008
    United States
    I'd have to disagree and say the best way to dump them is via WiFi.

6. dinofan01

dinofan01 Misses the old days...

Jul 4, 2008
    United States
    doesnt that take longer then via pc? Chances are you wont have a special drive though.

7. Miles

Miles GBAtemp Fan

Apr 28, 2008
    United States
    I don't know how long it would take using a special drive, but you'd want to rip it at 1x.
    So it'll take at least an hour or 2.

If I recall correctly it only took me 3-5 hours to rip Super Mario Galaxy.

8. Lumstar

Lumstar Princess

Mar 6, 2006
    United States
    Darling
    And how many of us have a wi-fi unit inside our PC? Maybe the Wii ethernet adapter would work though...

9. Miles

Miles GBAtemp Fan

Apr 28, 2008
    United States
    It works via LAN, so as long as you have a router (which most ISPs give you standard) you can dump it to your PC.

10. xtrem3x

xtrem3x Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 16, 2008
    When I had my chipped Wii using a USB gecko with a 2Gb SD card only tool 45 mins.
    Did have to swap it twice though.