Hacking Backup Proof Drive (D3-2)

FRanatic

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hi all,

I'm starting this thread to inform you guys on a new drive type which is not able to play dvd backups.
Also this thread could be used to collect info on which wii serialnumbers are equipped with these new drives.

Yesterday I was doing a softmod on a wii (4.0e). After installing NeoGamma r7 and cIOS r14, I tested the result and was confronted with the following error:

Code:
DVD Read Error 1120

The backup I used did work properly on another wii with the same loader and cIOS. So I did a search and found that the error was related to the new drive type (D3-2), because this drive doesn't have the dvd commands embedded in the firmware. These commands are neccesary for playing backups.
To my knowledge the drive firmware is not accessible (now or ever) by the user, so seems ninty has patched one of the bigger holes in their security in newer hardware revisions.

These new drives are spotted in the new black edition wii's, but the one I had yesterday was a 'plain old white one'.

Backup loading through USB is very well possible, as the wii is completely softmoddable with the exploits and tools available at this moment.

If you encounter one of these wii's please drop the fw version, serialnumber and boxcode here. That way a pattern may be discoverd, which can be used as future reference for buyers. If neccesary, I'll try to manage your input in this first post.

Thanks !

FWversion : 4.0 E
Serialnumber: LEM 1017****
Boxcode : RVL-001 (eur)

FRanatic

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Riicky said:
very old news

Thank you for your 'contribution'....

QUOTE(Det1re @ Dec 1 2009, 02:47 PM) Isn't the DVD Read Error normally "1101"?

Don't know, haven't seen or read about that yet.

FRanatic

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
mikeyt1998 said:
so... you saying the error is 1121 is irrelevant then because for all you know it could have been the regular error code of a bad burn? lol

also, it is old news, he was only saying. there was a big discussion about it somewhere lol

If you read the first post, you could see it wasn't a bad burn.
Also I wasn't bringing it as 'news' merely as a sort of index for future reference.

Like I said, this thread can be used for indexing. Please, post replies in that perspective.

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been wondering the same, how to tell if the Wii can read DVD's. It's ridiculous for them to do this, there should be a DVD channel made by Nintendo to rake in a couple million. Seriously you know how many people would buy that crap. Charge 2000 Wii points, rape the public but this is just dumb. I understand it from a piracy standpoint, but come on its almost 2010, only 2 years left anyway let us play DVD's and music officially. I don't care cause I wouldn't buy it, but do you see my point?

Anyway, enough rambling...My Wii is almost a year old, and I can read backups, but I will ask around about the newer ones. I'll stop telling people they can burn games and start telling them they can use a USB drive.

wes11ph

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Afghanistan
nice to revive this issue... tnx
if only could wanin make a new loader for accessing the IO on the new drive,
the issue with this problem is not the mainboard of wii but the dvd drive mobo.
changing the dvd modo into old one will make the backup loaders work.

i honestly don't know how backup loaders and cios works by accessing the wii disc.
maybe if someone will focus on this matter and make a new backup loader for d3-2 drives.

m2c

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Before ending up into 003 error, my wii could play backup DVD. Does that mean my wii doesn't have D3-2 drive?

antiaverage

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wes11ph said:
if only could wanin make a new loader for accessing the IO on the new drive

Waninkoko left the Wii hacking scene and deleted everything from his blog.
It's important to realize there are many other capable people coding for the Wii hacking scene.

lenselijer

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
change the driveboard to d2b/d2c/d2e board and mod with wiikey2, works fine
biggrin.gif

vettacossx

Wii Theme Team Founder
Trophies
XP
Country
to everyone asking HOW CAN I TELL B4 I MOD IT ...that is EXACTLY why this thread IS USEFULL...

Scenario:

I just bought a new wii and brought it home from EB i want to be sure its MODABLE B4 I MOD IT OR ILL JUST RETURN THE CONSOLE for another.. So i GO TO THIS THREAD and compare the SERIAL NUMBER ON THE CONSOLE WITH THE ONES LISTED HERE and then i know B4 I EVER POWER ON that the wii in my hand is ether modable or has to be returned for a compatible model ( the beauty is now i have a Guy at EB now (after some drama but none the less) who KNOWS what i will be coming in to get when i show up he goes right in the back and sources me THE RIGHT SERIAL NUMBER..... (i cant afford the gas to not be honest with the guy lol)

Some Personal Advice if your local EB is a bunch of un-educated assholes i got a lil somethin for that ive been there man!

(I go so far as to be honest that i need a specific model because i am a homebrew gamer not a commercial gamer i like emulators nothing illegal with EMUS and its within your right to run homebrew if your EB locally has half a brain they wont give you a hard time)

but if they do YOU WIKI GENRAL PUBLIC LICENCE and remind the MANAGER OF THERE STORE THAT YOU ARE WITHIN YOUR RIGHTS AND WILL TAKE HIS ASS TO COURT IF HE WANTS TO CONTINUE TO BE A DICK AND NOT SERVICE YOU LIKE ANY OTHER PAYING CUSTOMER (yes i do speak from experience i had to have the manager tell his employees (his name is ANDY he works in the mall in New Hartford NY (utica area) so if you live there i did the dirty work for ya they will take care of you LMAO) but if not just do what i did! he told his guys they WILL help me from now on WITHOUT THERE PERSONAL OPPINIONS becoming a factor in the way they DO THERE FUCKIN JOB)

drizzt007

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so , I've been told that its still possible to load backups via USB loader with these newer consoles.

The drive doesn't allow playing through a backup loader, but can you still install the game to the hard drive with it ?

or, is WBFS manager the only way to get them on there ?

LxTrix

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ya know how boot2 for bootmii usually works with wiis before december of 2008 what do you think the cutoff date for this is? mid-November 2009?

icebrg5

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Not sure if this will help or not but i just modded a wii for a guy who bought a brand new wii from walmart yesterday.

It came with 4.0U installed and serial #LU71534XXXX

I'm not going to post the entire serial # that way no one goes and tries to register it or anything.

I installed NeoGamma R7 and it plays burnt discs just fine.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.