Backup Loader/Launcher not working

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by blueeyes, Oct 3, 2008.

Oct 3, 2008
  1. blueeyes
    OP

Newcomer blueeyes Member

United States
    Hallo guys!

I am new to this wii hacking but i am trying my best to learn :-) I want to try the Backup Loader and play
    a couple of my backups.

So yesterday, I rented Zelda and did the Twilight Hack and also got the Homebrew Channel.
    Everything went smooth (too smooth?) and I thought the rest wont be hard at all.

I found a howto guide somewhere on the internet and did step by step. I got both, the Backup Loader and
    the Backup Launcher. I dont know where the difference is, but both have different menus.

First thing I tried after I installed CIOS Patchmii Installer rev4 and dvdx with ios249 was to test out
    Zelda PAL with both backup loaders I had. The Backup Launcher gave me an error:
    Title Identification... ERROR (ret = -4100)
    The Backup Loader seemed to load it just fine, after the inititial screen though (where it says about the controller)
    the screen went black. I thought this might be just a compatibility issue (even though Zelda is reported to work)
    and procceeded to burn a backup. I patched the .iso with backup-creator just fine and burned the .iso afterwards
    with Nero on 2x speed. I also wanted to try imgburn, but imgburn always says something about illegal iso, even though
    I did everything step by step. Oddly enough, the original isos work with imgburn, the patched dont
    work with imgburn.

Again no luck with the backups, Backup Launcher gave me a Subsystem Error -6 and Backup Loader gave me a Identify Error

So I spend the rest of the day (and today) installing/deinstalling various cios and dvdx versions.
    No I run a cios rev. 6 and I dont know if this means progress or not, but I dont get the Subsystem Error -6 anymore, only
    the Title Identification... ERROR (ret = 4100) with Backup Launcher. Of course Backup loader doesnt work as well, I am getting
    a identify error there.

So what did i wrong? Do I burn the DVDrs wrong? Why doesnt imgburn work with the patched dvdrs.
    Can maybe someone point me to the right directions?

I got a PAL Wii
    I tried PAL isos

Thanks in advance!

2. FGOD

Member FGOD Wii gaming bitch

Netherlands
    you installed the wrong cios... you don't need rev4 but rev5 and that is a Wad file which can be installed with wad manager...

3. Piny12

Newcomer Piny12 Newbie

Germany
    CIOS Patchmii Installer rev4 is in fact Waninkokos IOS rev5.

But I got the same problem. Using IMGBurn. I will now try CloneCD because I read on another forum that Wii Games on cheap DVDs burned with CloneCD are playable with the Backup Loader.

4. JesseAs

Newcomer JesseAs Advanced Member

Netherlands
    did you set you book-type to DVD-ROM ??

5. noobwarrior7

Member noobwarrior7 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    no................no.

6. FGOD

Netherlands
    i wonder where you got that from... cause to my knowledge that is something completly different. the patchmii is for users of modchips which also needs to be installed next to the dvdx and the cios from waninkoko... so NO THIS IS NOT THE SAME!!!

7. noobwarrior7

Member noobwarrior7 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States

no, he was talking about the cIOS rev4 Clone that uses patchmii as a template, but he was still wrong, it doesn't have all the patches (hint, the word CLONE). if it were a clone of 5, it would be cIOS rev5 CLONE

you can create a clone of rev5 (for some stupid reason titled "rev6") by using the cIOS cloner patchmii program provided by wiigator
    so, you were on the right track, but like I said, no.

8. JesseAs

Netherlands
    JUST SET YOU BOOK TYPE TO DVD-ROM !! ... >.

9. FGOD

Netherlands
    @noobwarrior7: in either way it is not the rev5 cios

@jesseas: that too but he can better use DVD-r

10. JesseAs

Netherlands
    i just use DVD+R's with book-type set to DVD-ROM and that works find

and DVD+R's are better for other things and if you have a bunch of DVD+R's i dont thin you want to buy some DVD-r for some wii backup if you just could set your bootype ( i got 100 DVD+R's so i wont buy any DVD-R's [​IMG])

11. FGOD

Netherlands
    same here, but 6 of my seven DVD+r backups don't work... although i booktype them as DVD-ROM

12. JesseAs

Netherlands
    actually i wanted to say dont buy cheaps but i cant because i bought 100 PLATINUM DVD+R's for 17 euros on the black marked [​IMG]

13. FGOD

Netherlands
    indeed in beverwijk you mean ;-) i buy them on the marked here in den helder for 25€ have the same, although i hate the new towers, they always get open when i pick them up... but they are very good dvd's though...

14. blueeyes
    OP

Newcomer blueeyes Member

United States
    hallo guys, indeed i am using DVD-Rs so i cant really set the booktype to anything. So what can I do to fix my problem/problems? Please any help?

15. FGOD

Netherlands
    like i said, use the rev5.wad from waninkoko instead of the rev4 clone or not... IT IS NOT THE SAME AS REV5!!!

16. JesseAs

Netherlands
    maybe is yout book type of your DVD-R not set to it my friend had dat problem his DVD-ROM were set to DVD+R standart [​IMG] give it a try [​IMG]

17. blueeyes
    OP

Newcomer blueeyes Member

United States
    the thing is, i am not using dvd+r, just dvd-r so i cant change the booktype :-P thanks anyway

18. Motoko

Newcomer Motoko Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    change your IOS and use Vebatim DVDs

19. exzavier

Newcomer exzavier Member

United States
    I get the same errors as the OP and I installed CIOS36_rev5-64-v1042.wad.

I had a Verbatim and TDK DVD+R That did not work so I am stuck.

I have a NEC dvd burner and in imgburn when I try to change the book type I get a invalid parameter error.

WHat is the real fix to this problem?

20. Piny12

Newcomer Piny12 Newbie

Germany
    I got it to work.
    Yesterday I used DVD+RW and DVD-RW. But they didn't work.

I just bought Verbatim DVD-R ones and burned the partition.iso with IMGBurn at 8x Speed. Wario Ware Smooth Moves stutters at videos, but the gameplay is smooth.

Star Wars: TFU works smoothly everywhere. In the videos too.

EDIT: Im using a HL-DT-ST GSA-H10N Burner with IMGBurn and set the booktype to DVD-ROM.