backup launcher / firmware / update questions

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by ralph188, Dec 18, 2008.

Dec 18, 2008
  1. ralph188
    OP

Newcomer ralph188 Newbie

United States
    Hi, I have some questions for which I found contradictory answers in various boards.
    I got HB 1.0.1 installed over 3.3E firmware.

1) Is it **still** strongly recommended to downgrade to 3.2E to benefit from optimum compatibility w/ backup launcher 0.3g? If so, will I miss critical functionality / packages to play some recent games?
    2) Should I downgrade, what application do u recommend to do so?
    3) How to prevent or control automated disc firmware updates?
    4) Is there any means not to upgrade firmware, while installing other update packages that are mandatory to play specific games?
    5) If I upgrade the firmware by mistake and subsequently downgrade it, do I have to reinstall twilight, homebrew, cIOS and other apps again?

Sorry for the long list but collecting up-to-date / accurate answers to all of them has been a nightmare [​IMG] cheers.

2. scooochie4

Newcomer scooochie4 Advanced Member

Ireland
    I've been in the same boat as you. Spent the last two weeks getting up to speed before I go messing with my wii. Here is what I gather:

1. The main reason to downgrade to 3.2 seems to be to install starfall (which has some really nice features)
    2. You can downgrade with Waninkoko's Custom IOS downgrader
    3. Starfall can bypass disk updates
    4. There will always be work-arounds to playing games, rather than a full system upgrade (installing certain IOS's for example)
    5. Not sure about this one

3. screamq3

Member screamq3 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    i used anyregionchanger to downgrade from 3.3e to 3.2e worked fine

4. mhadf

Newcomer mhadf Advanced Member

United States
    I'm running 3.4E, and Gamma loads everything I throw at it..... only problem is I can't seem to install backup launcher as a channel.