Backup Disc-Syndicate

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by wiifan420, Oct 19, 2008.

Oct 19, 2008

Backup Disc-Syndicate by wiifan420 at 5:43 PM (3,745 Views / 0 Likes) 11 replies

1. wiifan420
    OP

Member wiifan420 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    So I see this release by Syndicate and its called Wii BackupDisc. Just got released today apparently when I extracted it was only like 690 megs or something but I thought it was fake so i opened with Trucha and it reads and opens the image correctly. I was going to attach a pic of the files when opened in trucha, but apparently i can only use a link to a pic, maybe someone can tell us what this disc is used for exactly? BTW the release notes say "This is the originally correctly signed version of Nintendo's
    Backup disc, which was left in a console after repairs."

2. nebiru

Newcomer nebiru Member

United States
    From Wiibrew wiki

Quote:
    The "Wii Backup Disc" is a service disc apparently used inside Official Nintendo Repair shops to transfer personal data like savegames and console settings between Wiis as part of a repair.

It's not entirely clear what it does; something it does *not* do -- even though it appears it might -- is allow VC games to be transferred between consoles. Instead, the user is told to redownload the games from the Wii Store (for free).

Note: "Change WiiId" is mostly useless. WiiId is only used as your "Wii Number" that you give to your friends so they can send you Wii Mail. When you pick it, it assigns you a new random ID.

It also doesn't boot on full bricked Wiis and it's unlikely that it repairs half bricked Wiis since delete all only deletes savegames/settings and not any VC content (Weather/News/Games..) or the firmware.

3. WiiCrazy

Member WiiCrazy Be water my friend!

Turkey
    If it has title uninstall feature then it may be helpful for those who banner bricked their wii...
    1. On 3.3 system menu
    2. Twilight hack not installed
    3. With modchip

4. otto888

Member otto888 I break things for a living.

United States
    I'm trying it on Backup Launcher 0.1...black screen but strangely,works on Backup Loader (waninkoko). I can't install dev certs tho. Can anyone find out what they do?

5. huhster

Newcomer huhster Member

United States
  6. EVAworm

Newcomer EVAworm Newbie

United States
    there for installing special wads. or someting like that

7. LWares87

Member LWares87 The 'Wise' Merchant

United Kingdom
    Can this put your Wii back to manufacter settings and etc? As I wish to start from scratch without buying a new Wii console.

8. Richy Freeway

Member Richy Freeway GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    Just format your Wii in the settings menu.

9. Screemer

Member Screemer GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    it's funny that the gayfish dvd comes up again. some people put some hope in this disc back in january. the funny thing is there has never been a image as far as i know of. and now 3/4 of a year later, such an image shows up.

10. josh41091

Newcomer josh41091 Member

United Kingdom
    Meh I wouldnt knock it just yet, i finally managed to secure myself a copy after being unable to download a copy off BT, and it seems to do its job. As it shows on the wiibrew, lets you backup save files (as far as I no, need some more testing) and more (of which I dont yet understand) [​IMG]

11. FGOD

Member FGOD Wii gaming bitch

Netherlands
    any more news on what this does? cause i wanne get myself a copy of that...

12. noobwarrior7

Member noobwarrior7 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    it installs IOS16, which it and only it, needs.

it also offers to backup everything (relative term)
    to the SD card.

it also says it will install dev certs, and it has dev certs on the disc...
    but I have no idea if it actually does anything once you do

in my case, trying to install the update on the disc seems to work fine, and then after completing it says the system data is corrupt, and then proceeds to work fine.

I'm guessing the "System data is corrupt" message comes from the fact that this was made before 3.1 even came out, but I dunno.