backing up your vwii nand

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by steplay29, Dec 24, 2012.

Dec 24, 2012

backing up your vwii nand by steplay29 at 11:59 AM (2,601 Views / 0 Likes) 13 replies

1. steplay29
    OP

Newcomer steplay29 Advanced Member

Ireland
    hi all,

was just wondering is there any software related way to backup your vwii nand before i go about and start messing with anything?

2. lampjese

Newcomer lampjese Advanced Member

Netherlands
    I tryed fstoolbox but its not working for me.
    But i could dump all wads with bluedump 0.3.
    Bluedump gave an error to but when you open it with MMM i could dump all the files.

3. lampjese

Newcomer lampjese Advanced Member

Netherlands
    But you wont be able to restore it if you brick it, since you have no way to write the nand anymore than.

4. steplay29
    OP

Ireland
    same here got an error with bluedump,but when launched through mmm it worked ok.before i do anything else would like to back up my nand.i heard that if you have a dump of your vwii nand and you brick it you can restore it,if you have an infectus or progsheet flasher.correct me if wrong somebody.

5. damysteryman

Member damysteryman I am too busy IRL these days...

Antarctica
    Well, not really, there is a modified FS Toolbox, however that just dumps the Filesystem contents, not the complete NAND, therefore useless for recovery purposes.
    And BootMii is not available on vWii, so no NAND backup or restore.

Best thing to do would be to dump your vWii's unique per-console keys to SD or USB with xyzzy 1.2 Unofficial MOD, so that way if you DO brick it, you can use a hardware NAND programmer (or send it to someone who can) to dump the NAND, then use the keys to decrypt the dump, fix what you broke, re-encrypt, and then reflash to NAND. That is really the best there is available at the moment for vWii.

steplay29 likes this.
  6. steplay29
    OP

Ireland
    no worries will do that before i start to mess with anything.that way if worse happens,their's bound to be someone about who could do it.thanks for the info.

7. damysteryman

Antarctica
  8. HatchlingByHeart

Newcomer HatchlingByHeart Newbie

Australia
    What I don't get is: how come BootMii via IOS254 isn't installable? You can safely install most cIOSes.
    I know boot2 installs are not possible since well, there is no boot2.

9. damysteryman

Antarctica
    Well, the ability to install cIOS is because we managed to update cIOS to use the vWii IOS versions as bases.

But BootMii is not an IOS, it is completely different.
    http://hackmii.com/2012/12/hbc-release-for-a-new-wii-u/
    I am guessing maybe a hardware incompatibility? I personally do not know why it is incompatible at this time, but so far, it is incompatible with Wii U vWii.

10. DarkMatterCore

Member DarkMatterCore I like turtles.

Venezuela
    Nintendo removed the reset button. And since there is zero compatibility with GCN controllers, you can only change the selection in the main menu, but not browse/load any of the options (that's what the reset button is used for).

I know it's silly, but that's just my guess.

11. steplay29
    OP

Ireland
    right guys ran xyzzyx 1.21 and got failed to load seeprom,and something about this being on a vwii,but it downloaded to text file the following keys:boot hash,common key,console id,ecc priv key,nand hmac,nand aes key and prng key.is this all the info i need as a backup up case something goes wrong?

12. DeadlyFoez

Member DeadlyFoez Banned

United States
    There is an app that crediar made to dump the keys. I'm not sure if he has made it public, so because of that I am not willing to share it. Sorry.

13. miamirican305

Newcomer miamirican305 Newbie

United States
    Thanx for the advice guys! I just got my keys j.i.c. :) Even though I only use it to play my games on WiiFLOW, you never can be too careful.

14. Maintinence Mode

Newcomer Maintinence Mode Newbie

United States
    If you brick it just run in maintenance mode. Thats what i do right now. Since zero things are online no big deal.