Hacking Backing up an sd card

peke

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Hi to all, my son have a hacked 2ds, he is to young and sometimes mess some files (yesterday he delete twinlight menu for playing nds games), I put all important files in a folder (homebrew menu, fbi, etc), and told him only dad can touch that folder.

Is there a way to backup the sd card so if he mess something I can put it back easy? just coping the sd to my pc is woth it?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
one option you might have is to hide the twilight menu++ folder. I don't know if it will work or not, but when you hide stuff in twilight menu++, that's what it's doing. you can make the folders appear in say fbi if you wanted the cia folder to appear with "show hidden files and folders." that's the reason you can't see it.

peke

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
one option you might have is to hide the twilight menu++ folder. I don't know if it will work or not, but when you hide stuff in twilight menu++, that's what it's doing. you can make the folders appear in say fbi if you wanted the cia folder to appear with "show hidden files and folders." that's the reason you can't see it.
I have to hide the folder on the home screen that have the important apps (fbi, hombrew menu, etc), I don´t know if its possible.

On twinlight menu++ I wish to have only roms folder, but that is a minor problem, I told him where to find the games,.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey! Yes copy and pasting the contents of the sd card works but there's specific things you need to know. The the folder that's inside the Nintendo 3DS folder is the important one there as it contains you installed 3DS/VC games & 3DS saves, if he deletes any random file from that folder it could corrupt it and it's hassle to fix it. What you need to do is to back up your 3DS game saves with Checkpoint (if not regularly) so if anything gets messed up and if he deletes system files or something, it's much easy to restore those saves than if you didn't. The same goes for nds games if you're using TWLMenu, the saves are in the saves folder inside the rom folder, you should back them up as you see fit. And for god sake just remove fbi from the home menu as he shouldn't have access to it, deleting anything could result in messing up your system, just leave the .3dsx version if you want to install something just access it through the Homebrew Channel.

Reactions: peke

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Here is a threat about hiding things in homemenu. U have to work with some tools end edit files with them. I dont hsve experience in this particular way.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/hiding-icons-title-id-apps-folder-in-3ds-home-screen.474648/

A another easier solution for hiding is deleting the cia(installed) versions of the homebrew tools and work with the 3dsx version inside the homebrew launcher. Inside the homebrew launcher u can move inside the folders. To make it harder that he dont find them in the first way, create dummy folders and create inside one of them the Folders with the .3dsx versions of your tools.

I have 3ds, but the 2ds must be similar. And move on the Homescreen till the end on the right sight and create there folder with the hblauncher.

To secure the 3ds, would be a Emunand an option like i have on my old 3ds, and make them autoboot. If his virtuell session (emunand) crashes the originall system will not be infected. On the Emunand could be all unnessary tools deleted. For a fallback if he mass with his session create a Nandbackup with godmode 9.
https://3ds.hacks.guide/godmode9-usage

But on new 3DS im missing somehow this feature for creating emunand with autoboot.
https://github.com/LumaTeam/Luma3DS/wiki/Optional-features

Alternativ way to create emunand, but autoboot needs somehow to be enabled.
  1. Launch GodMode9 by holding (Start) during boot
  2. Press (Home) to bring up the action menu
  3. Select “More…”
  4. Select “SD format menu”
  5. Select any EmuNAND options you wish to use
  6. When prompted, input the key combo given to confirm

Last edited by Sypherone,
Reactions: peke

Torus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
You could also use win32diskimager (or "dd" command in Linux) to perform a complete 1:1 copy of the card and just reflash it if some files were deleted

Reactions: Sypherone

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Only place would be instagram.