Back-ups won't work.

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Ahmet, Dec 18, 2008.

1. Ahmet
    OP

Ahmet Member

Newcomer
    Dec 14, 2008
    Canada
    I need help with my backups. Iknow my Wii can play backups fine, because I borrowed some from a friend once, but I tried burning my first backup yesterday ,Tales of Symphonia Dawn of The New World. It was a NTSC 1:1 copy I also burned a 1:1 Wii Music NTSC copy and that didn't work. Then I tried patching Tales of Symphonia to IOS249 and it still wouldn't work. So I wanna know what's wrong with my backups. I burned them using Nero6 at 8x, Verbatim DVD+R (White Inkjet Printable disc ver.1.3), and my DVD burner is LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-16332 BSOY driver version 5.1.2535.0. I checked the disc quality with DVDInfoPro (97.69%), and I checked the content with ISOBuster. Everything seems fine so I don't know what's wrong... Oh and I alos load my backups using WiiGator's BackupLauncher 0.3 gamma.

2. kimikal27

kimikal27 GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 28, 2008
    Galway
    try a dvd-r, they have better compatibility and force NTSC as well, your wii is NTSC right?
    and you can burn at the speed that it says in the dvd, i have 40 games burned and always did that , never add a problem.
    good luck

3. Ahmet
    OP

Ahmet Member

Newcomer
    Dec 14, 2008
    Canada
    Yeah, my Wii's NTSC. I'll try burning at the speed it says on the discs tomorrow, because I gotta get off the computer now, and I won't be able to go get DVD's for a while. =/

EDIT: Also, quick question, what's the default IOS that Tales of Symphonia is set to boot from?

4. g00s3y

g00s3y GBAtemp Regular

Aug 6, 2008
    United States
    Its amazing how many times people have been told on this site to burn using DVD-R as the compatibility rate is exponentially higher. And still every few days an idiot comes along and wants to know why *insert brand name here* of DVD+R doesn't work on the wii. Go to the store and spend the fucking $20 on a 50-pack of DVD-R. If you can spend $50 on a Wii game you can spend $20 to have 50 Wii games...

5. kimikal27

kimikal27 GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 28, 2008
    Galway
    to much trouble to read...

6. Ahmet
    OP

Ahmet Member

Newcomer
    Dec 14, 2008
    Canada
    Well excuse me for being curious, I jsut assumed it would work because I read an article about burning Wii games and it stated that DVD+R's worked. So that was my logic there. Also, I'm not an idiot, as I did google first and followed a guide.

7. kimikal27

kimikal27 GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 28, 2008
    Galway
    ok , so were did you see that dvd+r worked fine?
    i wanna call them idiots...

8. 0bvious

0bvious Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 1, 2007
    I have had problems with backups. I burnt Boom Blox, Paper Mario and Wario Shake. All PAL versions on DVD-R - and they work fine. I burnt No More Heroes and De Blob - all PAL versions on DVD-R and they won't work. I have tried backup launcher 0.1, 0.3beta, 0.3gamma and the gamma for the iso247 - no luck. It seems like I had a run of luck and now nothing I do works.

Any ideas?

9. Leslia

Leslia Member

Newcomer
    Jan 11, 2009
    Netherlands
    I have Star Wars TFU, WII Music, Animal Crossing, Mario Kart, Super Paper Mario, Boom Blox all PAL all on DVD+R. No problems (except for it all being crappy games except star wars wich was too short and mario kart.)

I did read all the posts saying you soulkd use DVD-r but I had a p[ile of DVD+r's lying around I never use anyway so I figured I'd try a game on those, and they all workde so far.

Except...

I got a No More Heroes backup, filename say [NTSC - PAL]. Doesnt work, if I try to load it it does give me the game ID then shortly shows a green screen (if I force PAL 60) and then a black screen, and doesnt load beyond that.

If I force NTSC it's stuck at the green screen. I'll try DVD-R as soon as the shops open but I honestly don't think thats the problem. Could it be a region issue? The only homebrew I've got is backuplauncher 3 gamma on wii menu 3.4e, I dont have any region free thingys

10. air2004

air2004 Air

Oct 24, 2008
    United States
    Anytown
    speed and and brand name don't matter. All you need to do is , burn as fast as the disk can burn and use -r disks , its that simple. Don't forget though , some games will still need to be decrypted , like shaun white is one of them.

11. 20clarky08

20clarky08 Official Wii Freak

Oct 29, 2008
    ScouseLand
    and for god sake man, buy some VERBS!!!!!!

dont be cheap lol

20clarky08

12. smash_brew

smash_brew I may or may not have fallen

Oct 8, 2008
    United States
    You can use your dvd+r"s, but try changing the booktype to dvd-rom.

13. Tetram

Tetram GBAtemp Regular

Mar 11, 2008
    France
    Some people say that DVD+R can damage the lense. Don't know if it's true, anyway...
    I've burnt all my games on Sony DVD-R, never had any problem.

To Leslia : I burnt the NTSC-PAL version (from espalwii) on Sony DVD-R with IMGburn. It works like a charm.

14. Leslia

Leslia Member

Newcomer
    Jan 11, 2009
    Netherlands
    Ok thanks for the reply, I've got the same version from espalwii. Do you have a PAL or NTSC wii? and do use any of the force pal/ntsc options from backup launcher?

I'll reburn on DVD-R anyway

15. djtaz

djtaz PM's Full - Wadder Me

Sep 21, 2008
    No its a stupid rumour that people keep on repeating - ITS NOT TRUE.

DVD-R discs work on pretty much every wii everywhere as long as they are a semi reliable brand. Speeds vary depending on the drive used, the discs used and also the wii itself.

DVD+R when the booktype is set to DVD-ROM work on some wii's but not all - its a gamble. I have tested the same DVD+R disc on 50 wii's that i have modded it has worked on 15 of them and failed on the rest. Some wii's will read them , some wont , but dont base your not working games on the fact that dvd+rs work on some wii's