Asking HP laptop users

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by da_head, Jan 25, 2009.

Jan 25, 2009

Asking HP laptop users by da_head at 5:11 PM (1,009 Views / 0 Likes) 10 replies

1. da_head
    OP

Member da_head A dying dream..

Canada
    you know those quick launch buttons we have at the top? the touch screenish ones? is there a way to configure them so we can use them for whatever program we want? like the media buttons (play, next song etc) only works for windows media player which is annoying. and yes i have the latest drivers. thanks in advance

2. da_head
    OP

Canada
    *bump*

3. zidane_genome

Member zidane_genome My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?

United States
    unless you hack the drivers, no... it's built in... if you can hack the drivers, and change the call functions, you can make it do anything you want... well, it still won't be able to give you oral... only desktops can do that...

4. da_head
    OP

Canada
    hack the drivers? hm that sounds a bit too complicated :S damnit

5. nin10do

Member nin10do GBAtemp Fan

Taiwan
    no BUT you can use a program to called autohotkey, to assign any key or group of keys on the keyboard to do ANYTHING. it's a script and if you know a bit of programming then you can really do a lot with it.
    if you can't program to save your life i could draw up a quick template to make it easy for you.
    btw you can dl auto hot key for free...legally [​IMG] (google is you friend)

also sometimes i accidentally hit the quick dvd shortcut key on the hp laptop. you can disable that key without disabling the volume/player controls.

6. Foxle

Member Foxle GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Autohotkey works some of the time, but on an HP laptop I used to own, it did not work on the face buttons. Your millage may vary.

7. nin10do

Taiwan

true, it only works for the keyboard. not the face keys.

8. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Just a thought but if you are using media player classic (I have little experience with other players although I reckon VLC can do it) you can often assign keys to different things, I remember playing with various music controller firefox extensions (foxytunes mainly) to get it to work properly and part of those were the usual laptop keys.

Hacking the drivers on the other hand may not be all the difficult (I doubt it will be inf only but simple disassembly could work) or it may be if HP play the usually big vendor trick of winding everything big and small in together.

9. da_head
    OP

Canada
    wait it won't work for the face keys? i thought the quick play button was a face key? how did that work?

10. nin10do

Taiwan
    not really sure what you are asking.
    the quick play face key can only be disabled. you can't alter the other media face keys in anyway.
    the regular keyboard keys can all be mod'd, e.g. alt+f opens firefox for me, and ctrl+4 sets my volume to 40%.

(i have the HP dv6000 btw)

11. da_head
    OP

Canada
    oo you can't alter the face keys? well that's a shame