Hacking AppToUSB broke my controller..kind of?

DEMONDICE

K-K-Kureiji
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have no idea how this happened, but everything has been working great for the past 4 years, original console and controller. I recently installed Mira+HEN on 5.05 and have been playing games and using homebrew successfully for a day or two. Today, I decided to run AppToUSB and transfer my PKGs to my external HDD. Since doing that, my controller no longer works properly. It constantly disconnects for no reason and it has a full charge. It also freezes and lags consistently. Scrolling through the menu will just stop working for 15-20 seconds and no buttons respond, then it will speed through my commands lightning fast once it picks up my input again. It's like the controller is queing all of my inputs and activating them all at the same time.

I really don't know how putting my PKGs on my external drive would break my controller, but I don't know what else it could be. It happened as soon as I finished running the app and not a second sooner. Does anyone know what could be causing this? I can't find any info about others with this issue.

Edit: I should also add that it affects both of my controllers and it doesn't matter if the exploit is ran or not. It happens as soon as it's powered on.

Last edited by DEMONDICE,

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I reset them both already, nothing changed. And yes, it happens before I run the exploit and after. On the XMB and in game.
Tried another controller?

Sounds like system lag rather than the controller.... have you turned it off and on again? Give it a 5 min dosconnect from the power socket, replug and try again.

DEMONDICE

K-K-Kureiji
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tried another controller?

Sounds like system lag rather than the controller.... have you turned it off and on again? Give it a 5 min dosconnect from the power socket, replug and try again.
Yeah, tried both of my controllers. Both first party Sony. I've restarted and shut down too. I'll try leaving it for a bit.

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah, tried both of my controllers. Both first party Sony. I've restarted and shut down too. I'll try leaving it for a bit.

If it doesnt resolve it, it could be a hdd defect or corruption in the fw somehow. I would google similar simptoms and seenif its happened to anyone before and if/how the resolved it.

Best of luck :)

DEMONDICE

K-K-Kureiji
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it doesnt resolve it, it could be a hdd defect or corruption in the fw somehow. I would google similar simptoms and seenif its happened to anyone before and if/how the resolved it.

Best of luck :)
It's most assuredly my external HDD. Unplugging it makes it all go away. I also can't connect to WiFi while it's plugged in. I've been using this HDD to transfer games for two days, no issues. As soon as I use AppToUSB, this happens. It did something to my HDD.

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's most assuredly my external HDD. Unplugging it makes it all go away. I also can't connect to WiFi while it's plugged in. I've been using this HDD to transfer games for two days, no issues. As soon as I use AppToUSB, this happens. It did something to my HDD.

Hmm, maybe back up the app.pkgs and reformat the hdd? Then restore the games and see if its fixed?

Apptousb doesnt intentionally modify the hdd, its all symlinks and moved files...

DEMONDICE

K-K-Kureiji
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm, maybe back up the app.pkgs and reformat the hdd? Then restore the games and see if its fixed?

Apptousb doesnt intentionally modify the hdd, its all symlinks and moved files...
I don't know. It was fine until I put the games on there. Is there a way to easily revert it back to having them on the internal or do I have to delete and reinstall everything?

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't know. It was fine until I put the games on there. Is there a way to easily revert it back to having them on the internal or do I have to delete and reinstall everything?

Use the app.pkgs from the external and reinstall each one again.... unless apptousb has functionality to break symlink, but then you would have to ftp the app.pkg back to the internal anyway.

snoofly

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Very strange.
That’s the thing about being early adopters (read beta testers) right.

Anyhoo, I’m replying as I have a suggestion.

Back up your app db and saves with stoogeds DBSG payload, then try rebuilding your database in safe mode then reimport the db and see if that resolves.

Reactions: KiiWii

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's mostly the ones that are just pictures and no instructions at all