Apple Already fixed Comex's new exploit?

iFish

Slower than a 90s modem
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
QUOTE said:
JailbreakMe brought root to the iPhone 4-wielding masses, but also unearthed a nasty exploit in a PDF font. Thankfully for the rooted and those who never intended to root, Cupertino claims it has already patched the hole. "We're aware of the reported issue, we have already developed a fix and it will be available to customers in an upcoming software update," an Apple spokeswoman told CNET. We're not sure exactly when it will arrive, but we'd lay odds on soon -- in the meantime, don't open any PDFs you don't trust, don't do anything illegal or immoral, and hit up Comex's hack ASAP if your heart's still set on that shiny new unlock.

This exploit was just released sunday... and it's will already be fixed. i knew it was easy to patch... but.. whatever

Source

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
thank god the guys working at apple don't work for nintendo
laugh.gif

iFish

Slower than a 90s modem
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Jailbreaking is legal... but it still breaks Apple's EULA.
----------------
GameSoul said:
ball2012003 said:
QUOTE said:
in the meantime, don't open any PDFs you don't trust, don't do anything illegal or immoral
i thought jailbreaking was leagal

It is, but we all know what most people use it for, and Apple is worried about the site breaking into the firmware.

No? people already de-code the firmware..... that's not the problem

Neko

Been a while.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
The problem is that Comex's his exploit could potentionally be used to brick iPhones all over the world just by letting them visit a scam site or a hacked website.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Seeing as it was a browser exploit, it must've been considerably easy to fix it.
Curious, does it work before IOS 4.0 or not? If it doesn't then those who didn't update yet are screwed.

Madridi

Card Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
RupeeClock said:
Seeing as it was a browser exploit, it must've been considerably easy to fix it.
Curious, does it work before IOS 4.0 or not? If it doesn't then those who didn't update yet are screwed.
Why would they be? They could always update to 4.0 and jailbreak.. or am I missing something here?

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
madridi4ever said:
RupeeClock said:
Why would they be? They could always update to 4.0 and jailbreak.. or am I missing something here?
When they update, they will by-pass 4.0 and go to 4.0.1 or whatever the fix is. Updates are handled by Apple.

Unless you do the Shift-Restore in iTunes. That requires DFU mode, though.

overlord00

A motherfucking birdplane
Trophies
XP
Country
wait, did they do a quiet update... ie it auto updates safari... or do they have a 4.0.2 firmware... totally dont understand... prob didnt read it propper

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
overlord00 said:
wait, did they do a quiet update... ie it auto updates safari... or do they have a 4.0.2 firmware... totally dont understand... prob didnt read it propper
No, I think it's in the next software update, like 4.0.2, like you said.

overlord00

A motherfucking birdplane
Trophies
XP
Country
yeah, just read this and resolved my confusion;

QUOTE said:
On Wednesday an Apple spokeswoman said in a statement, "We're aware of this reported issue, we have already developed a fix and it will be available to customers in an upcoming software update."

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Neko said:
The problem is that Comex's his exploit could potentionally be used to brick iPhones all over the world just by letting them visit a scam site or a hacked website.

Bricking is the least of their worries tbh. AFAIK, there is nothing they could do that couldn't be fixed by a simple restore (perhaps from DFU mode if necessary). Much worse would be if they silently installed some software to steal all your contacts and other personal information, texts, emails etc. and send them back to a remote server. Think of the havoc that would cause. And it'd probably be possible to make it that the user never even realises.

mezut360 said:
so i could make a pdf with a virus in it to kill the iphone and disguise it as something

interesting...

TBH, I doubt you could (no offence
tongue.gif
), but in theory, yeah its possible, but it would be more beneficial to a malicious hacker to steal contact info etc. to sell on.

madridi4ever said:
QUOTE(RupeeClock @ Aug 5 2010, 03:39 PM)

Yeah, you're right, they can just download the 4.0 IPSW and restore it in iTunes, by Shift+Clicking restore and selecting the 4.0 IPSW. DFU mode may be necessary.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: I have a number of geriatric relatives.