Anyone skilled enough to hardmod tablet like surface pro 4?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by Yil, Apr 17, 2016.

1. Yil
    OP

Yil GBAtemp Addict

Feb 19, 2014
    Canada
    Swapping ic chip, printing multi layer PCB, adding ports, etc.

Last edited by Yil, Apr 17, 2016
  2. GuyInDogSuit

GuyInDogSuit I ain't your pa.

Aug 1, 2008
    United States
    Antelope, CA
    Here I thought you wanted to jailbreak it or something to install Linux on it. I don't really know much about those tablets, though. For what you're asking, I would try to find a local shop that specializes in computer repair. That's really complicated stuff and you'd want to trust it to a professional.

3. Yil
    OP

Yil GBAtemp Addict

Feb 19, 2014
    Canada
    I need to swap a third party usb c controller to a intel one for thunder bolt 3. Most gbatemp user is more than capable of installing Linux.

4. GuyInDogSuit

Aug 1, 2008
    United States
    Antelope, CA
    Yeah, I could easily install Linux or even MacOS. That's the easy bit. Not sure if you have to jailbreak these Surface Pros to do it, but I'm sure it's easy. Hardwiring new parts and boards, that's a whole 'nother story.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  5. Supster131

Supster131 (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ *:・゚✧

Jan 19, 2016
    United States
    My Computer
    Pretty sure it is. Probably just as easy disabling Secure Boot in the UEFI/BIOS or something.

6. GuyInDogSuit

Aug 1, 2008
    United States
    Antelope, CA
    Is it? I had a Netbook with Windows Mobile, Secure Boot was already disabled on it. Guess it depends on the manufacturer. My experience with tablets has been that you either have to jailbreak it (some Win 8 and 10 devices) or unlock the bootloader (Android).

7. Supster131

Supster131 (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ *:・゚✧

Jan 19, 2016
    United States
    My Computer
    I'm pretty sure the main issue would be drivers, but don't quote me on that.

8. Luckkill4u

Luckkill4u 4 guys in a car ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Jul 13, 2008
    Canada
    Insomnia
    I don't think it is possible, but it's weird Microsoft didnt add the USB-C(3.1)/Thunderbolt 3. I found this:
    Source: http://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/blog...4-and-surface-book-don-t-have-usb-type-c-port

9. GuyInDogSuit

Aug 1, 2008
    United States
    Antelope, CA
    Yup, especially on those tablet PCs. Good luck getting the touch screen and audio drivers to work.

So I take it you have a USB-C device? What is it, a phone? A harddrive? I'd have upgraded to it myself, but there just isn't a high demand for it, so I went with USB 3.0 for now.

10. Yil
    OP

Yil GBAtemp Addict

Feb 19, 2014
    Canada
    A tablet with usb c port that does not support thunderbolt 3 standard.

11. GuyInDogSuit

Aug 1, 2008
    United States
    Antelope, CA
    Huh? WTF? Why not? *scratches head*

12. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    Don't quote me on this, because it's pure speculation on my part, but it may be that the CPU that the Surface uses doesn't have enough PCI lanes available to meet TB3 standards

13. Yil
    OP

Yil GBAtemp Addict

Feb 19, 2014
    Canada
    pcie * 4 ssd, pcie * 4 for custom charger, and the rest for other ports, and only 12 lanes(and how do they even add a gpu on surface book)
    You might be right, but I am actually using it as an example. I am getting something else with an actual usb c port.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.