Hardware Anyone skilled enough to hardmod tablet like surface pro 4?

GuyInDogSuit

Your friendly neighborhood guy in a dog suit.
Trophies
Website
www.sniffglueworshipsatan.com
XP
Country
United States
Here I thought you wanted to jailbreak it or something to install Linux on it. I don't really know much about those tablets, though. For what you're asking, I would try to find a local shop that specializes in computer repair. That's really complicated stuff and you'd want to trust it to a professional.

Yil

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Here I thought you wanted to jailbreak it or something to install Linux on it. I don't really know much about those tablets, though. For what you're asking, I would try to find a local shop that specializes in computer repair. That's really complicated stuff and you'd want to trust it to a professional.
I need to swap a third party usb c controller to a intel one for thunder bolt 3. Most gbatemp user is more than capable of installing Linux.

GuyInDogSuit

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
I need to swap a third party usb c controller to a intel one for thunder bolt 3. Most gbatemp user is more than capable of installing Linux.

Yeah, I could easily install Linux or even MacOS. That's the easy bit. Not sure if you have to jailbreak these Surface Pros to do it, but I'm sure it's easy. Hardwiring new parts and boards, that's a whole 'nother story.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Supster131

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ *:・゚✧
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I could easily install Linux or even MacOS. That's the easy bit. Not sure if you have to jailbreak these Surface Pros to do it, but I'm sure it's easy. Hardwiring new parts and boards, that's a whole 'nother story.
Pretty sure it is. Probably just as easy disabling Secure Boot in the UEFI/BIOS or something.

GuyInDogSuit

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
Pretty sure it isn't. Probably just as easy disabling Secure Boot in the UEFI/BIOS or something.

Is it? I had a Netbook with Windows Mobile, Secure Boot was already disabled on it. Guess it depends on the manufacturer. My experience with tablets has been that you either have to jailbreak it (some Win 8 and 10 devices) or unlock the bootloader (Android).

Supster131

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ *:・゚✧
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it? I had a Netbook with Windows Mobile, Secure Boot was already disabled on it. Guess it depends on the manufacturer. My experience with tablets has been that you either have to jailbreak it (some Win 8 and 10 devices) or unlock the bootloader (Android).
I'm pretty sure the main issue would be drivers, but don't quote me on that.

Luckkill4u

4 guys in a car ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
I don't think it is possible, but it's weird Microsoft didnt add the USB-C(3.1)/Thunderbolt 3. I found this:
That said, what if the new Surfaces actually do support Thunderbolt 3 and USB 3.1 Gen 2, but is running it over its own Surface Connect interface? Or maybe the real reason why there’s no Thunderbolt 3/USB-C port on the Surface Book is because the controller is used for the interfacing between the Surface Book’s CPU/RAM/storage-equipped screen and GPU-equipped keyboard base? Of course, I’m totally into speculation-land here,
Source: http://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/blog...4-and-surface-book-don-t-have-usb-type-c-port

GuyInDogSuit

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure the main issue would be drivers, but don't quote me on that.

Yup, especially on those tablet PCs. Good luck getting the touch screen and audio drivers to work.

So I take it you have a USB-C device? What is it, a phone? A harddrive? I'd have upgraded to it myself, but there just isn't a high demand for it, so I went with USB 3.0 for now.

Yil

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yup, especially on those tablet PCs. Good luck getting the touch screen and audio drivers to work.

So I take it you have a USB-C device? What is it, a phone? A harddrive? I'd have upgraded to it myself, but there just isn't a high demand for it, so I went with USB 3.0 for now.
A tablet with usb c port that does not support thunderbolt 3 standard.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't quote me on this, because it's pure speculation on my part, but it may be that the CPU that the Surface uses doesn't have enough PCI lanes available to meet TB3 standards

Yil

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Don't quote me on this, because it's pure speculation on my part, but it may be that the CPU that the Surface uses doesn't have enough PCI lanes available to meet TB3 standards
pcie * 4 ssd, pcie * 4 for custom charger, and the rest for other ports, and only 12 lanes(and how do they even add a gpu on surface book)
You might be right, but I am actually using it as an example. I am getting something else with an actual usb c port.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: show him fighting in ww2