Any recommended budget Android smartphones?

tech3475

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
A family member is looking for a new budget phone to replace their Moto G5 and I'm wondering if there are any recommendations?

Currently they're looking at the Moto G7 Play at £130:
https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8835112

£130 is about as high as they want to go and from Argos for a couple of different reasons. They only use their phone for 'basic' stuff, the most advanced being 'casual' games like Angry birds.

Are there any other recommended phones in a similar price range?

How is the Nokia 5.1? I've been reading that this may be better with support:
https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8047845

Thank you.

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
From that store and near that price range, my choice would be this Xiaomi: https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8664819

It's a pretty good brand, currently my favourite mobile phones are from Huawei and Xiaomi, pretty good phones on a general basis.

Reactions: tech3475

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
From that store and near that price range, my choice would be this Xiaomi: https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8664819

It's a pretty good brand, currently my favourite mobile phones are from Huawei and Xiaomi, pretty good phones on a general basis.

tech3475

OP
Trophies
XP
Country

Thanks, typical though, the phones within budget from Huawei and Xiaomi are out of stock where I live.

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Thanks, typical though, the phones within budget from Huawei and Xiaomi are out of stock where I live.
You can't order them online? It seemed to be in stock at least when I checked it on that link.

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Not where I live, at least when I looked.

Stock levels change all the time and it depends on the DC/delivery area.

Well, that's a crappy website design then.

What about Honor 9 Lite or P Smart? It's 20£ more but they're still better than the other choices near the price.

tech3475

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Well, that's a crappy website design then.

What about Honor 9 Lite or P Smart? It's 20£ more but they're still better than the other choices near the price.

Trust me, it's one of the minor issues, it will only report actual stock when a postcode is entered.

According to the QA, the P Smart is the 2017 model, I'll look at the Honor 9 though.

Reactions: Skelletonike

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Trust me, it's one of the minor issues, it will only report actual stock when a postcode is entered.

According to the QA, the P Smart is the 2017 model, I'll look at the Honor 9 though.

Strange, the specs seemed to be the ones from the 2018 one. Either way, the Honor 9 does have better camera and a slightly better version of blutooth.

diggeloid

Alex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Phones don't expire; not buying new is the best way to get a good deal on a good phone. I've got an LG G3 lying around which is one of the best Android phones I've ever owned. You can find those on eBay for well under $100 unlocked.

Just because it was released in ~2014 doesn't mean it's outdated. It was a flagship back then, and it's without a doubt more powerful and reliable than any budget phone being sold today. (just make sure you buy an aftermarket battery from like Anker or something because LG's batteries suck)

Reactions: Ryccardo

tech3475

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Phones don't expire; not buying new is the best way to get a good deal on a good phone. I've got an LG G3 lying around which is one of the best Android phones I've ever owned. You can find those on eBay for well under $100 unlocked.

Just because it was released in ~2014 doesn't mean it's outdated. It was a flagship back then, and it's without a doubt more powerful and reliable than any budget phone being sold today. (just make sure you buy an aftermarket battery from like Anker or something because LG's batteries suck)

One problem is that phones lose official support and this person doesn’t want to root or buy used.

Last edited by tech3475,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: