Any Java Programmers?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Quietlyawesome94, May 11, 2011.

May 11, 2011
  1. Quietlyawesome94
    OP

Member Quietlyawesome94 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Hey guys! For the past few weeks I have been learning how to program with Java. I don't have any money to throw around for Online classes and the sort so I have taken the Book and cs106a Stanford U. approach. I chose to start off with "Head First Java: 2nd edition." Its a great book and I feel like i am learning from it. The Stanford U. Lectures from Youtube are also great, but I feel like I can't get everything I could from them since I can not get my hands on "The Art and Science of Java".

I'm just wondering if there are any self taught Java programmers here who could give me some tips on teaching my self self Java in the form of Book recommendations and Free Online courses. (If that even exist lol) Or anything that you think would be helpful. [​IMG]

If your wondering why I have chosen Java.... I chose it because I am an aspiring Android Developer and I feel like Java should give me a firm foundation for future Programming Languages like Visual C, (If i can ever afford a Mac LOL) C++ etc.

2. purplesludge

Member purplesludge anyone have any ideas for this space

United States
  3. Quietlyawesome94
    OP

Member Quietlyawesome94 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Thanks, I am thinking about going to college for Computer Programming also. I thought it would be useful to get my hands dirty so its not to foreign to me if I were to go. Any book recommendations? Did you just start programming when you went to University?

4. ChaosZero816

Member ChaosZero816 Temp's Official Random Member

Philippines
    If you truly want to learn then its best to go to any university which specializes in Programming. Having a degree would be beneficial in the long run.
    I am currently taking Computer Science and I'm not self taught.

5. Mazor

Member Mazor Z80 master arch

Sweden
    I had Java programming for Android as my job for a short while and will likely be going back to it soon.

Having prior experience of C and C++, I picked up Java without reading any books on it and as such can't recommend any specific titles. But what I can recommend is looking for books with exercises in them, you'll learn a lot more by practically applying what you read than you would if you just read and read.

Once you feel that you've got the basics down, you should start on a real project. Not something grand, but something that does have a real use. Doing real projects really teaches you a lot and by combining real projects with continuous studying, you'll get pretty far.

Also, for Android, keep in mind that much of most projects is done in XML. Typically the whole interface of an app will be done entirely or almost entirely in XML (there are of course exceptions; XML can't do everything Java can). Just something to keep in mind, reading up a bit on XML if you haven't already would definitely be beneficial before you head into Android programming.

Good luck, maybe we'll see you post some nice app of yours here on GBAtemp in the future.

Edit: Just noticed you mentioning "Visual C" in the context of Macintosh. That would be Objective-C, there's no such thing as Visual C (although there's the Visual C++ IDE for Windows).