Any good MP3 (or even FLAC?) player for 3DS

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by lisreal2401, Jul 7, 2016.

1. lisreal2401
    OP

lisreal2401 GBAtemp Fan

Jun 4, 2013
    United States
    The default app is pitifully quiet and I'm leaving for a long trip in August. Don't have a smartphone and would rather not take up the space on my Vita so I'm wondering if their are any homebrew alternatives for audio playback. I have a ton of music so this would be wonderful if said app does exist.

2. Davidosky99

Davidosky99 Eevee :3

Banned
    Jun 7, 2015
    Porto
  3. Osakasan

Osakasan GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 19, 2015
    Go to the Config app and switch from Surround to Stereo

4. lisreal2401
    OP

lisreal2401 GBAtemp Fan

Jun 4, 2013
    United States
    I'll try this, though on my Old 3DS I remember this didn't do much. My only other idea is using DSOrganize which can get pretty loud at the sacrifice of quality.

5. Logan Pockrus

Logan Pockrus Knawledge is key.

Jan 1, 2016
    United States
    Why don't you use the Nintendo 3ds Sound application that comes with every single 3ds? If you didn't know, you can actually drop music on the SD card (not sure where, look it up) and play it. No need for anything fancy.

6. lisreal2401
    OP

lisreal2401 GBAtemp Fan

Jun 4, 2013
    United States
    Read the OP please.

7. Davidosky99

Banned
    Jun 7, 2015
    Porto
    maybe it's your headphones that are quiet, because with the shells I tried and the default sound application I didn't notice much difference in sound quality or your ears are kind of hurt today :)

8. Logan Pockrus

Logan Pockrus Knawledge is key.

Jan 1, 2016
    United States
    Whoops, didn't see that. Anyway, the default app isn't too quiet for me. Are you sure it isn't your headphones?

9. lisreal2401
    OP

lisreal2401 GBAtemp Fan

Jun 4, 2013
    United States
    It's definitely not. Hooked up to my PC, can get extremely loud if I want it to. Even with recordings that are obviously compressed and loud the default player struggles to play it at a level I like. DSOrganize is pretty good but there's an obvious sacrifice in sound quality. My Vita is pretty good too with my headphones. And I'm definitely not the only one with this issue either. https://gbatemp.net/threads/hardwar...volume-of-your-3ds-some-models-so-far.400221/

10. Davidosky99

Banned
    Jun 7, 2015
    Porto
    quite weird indeed.
    On my test sample: some random earbuds+slipknot music either with the default app and the homebrew music player the results were so similar I coudn't notice.
    Gotta try more and I will post back here

11. Kyouken

Kyouken Repairer of the Breach

Oct 31, 2015
    United States
    GBATemp
    Assuming you mean that you now have a New 3DS, the New 3DS is quieter anyways.

For me, the N3DS isn't bad, but I definitely understand when you say it's quiet. It doesn't support MP3 or FLAC, but have you tried Sunshell?

12. lisreal2401
    OP

lisreal2401 GBAtemp Fan

Jun 4, 2013
    United States
    No, but that's the dealbreaker for me. Doesn't it only support like .ogg?

13. GizmoTheGreen

GizmoTheGreen GBAtemp Fan

Oct 8, 2009
    the sound from the 3ds is low, just like on the old nintendo DS. it's just not meant to be used as a music-player. on the DS a homebrew called moonshell could play alot of formats but it had to use software to "increse" the volume. which only gave abouta 15% boost or so before going crackling which is what happens when you try to do that.

the hardware in the DS and 3DS is just not capable of much louder output. it wasn't designed for it.

either use your smartphone for music or get a cheap mp3 player, you can get them for like what, 5$ on ebay or something and you'll have a much better music listening experience anyway.

14. Kyouken

Kyouken Repairer of the Breach

Oct 31, 2015
    United States
    GBATemp
    Not only .ogg; it supports .wav and .aiff, 'if' you're into that. ;) Really though .wav seems to be the most useful there but it sounds like you would have to convert your music anyways.

15. MarcusD

MarcusD nobody's hero

Oct 16, 2015
    Hungary
    a pixel between life and death
    (shameful shameless self-promotion)

I'm now working on CTR_Companion on adding multiple format support, but currently I'll only add wav support. Since you said you'll only go in august, I may be able to add some more formats.

SirBeethoven likes this.
  16. Nyap

Nyap HTML Noob

Banned
    Jan 13, 2016
    That Chaos Site
    yeah it's quiet on mine aswell

17. kprovost7314

kprovost7314 GBAtemp's Official Bara Master

Dec 24, 2014
    United States
    In that bara manga ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    I'm currently trying to implement minimp3 to it, but I just need to know how to use libctru's dsp functions.

18. MarcusD

MarcusD nobody's hero

Oct 16, 2015
    Hungary
    a pixel between life and death
    (shameless shameful self-promotion)

CTR_Companion supports flac :P

SirBeethoven and Shadowfied like this.
  19. TheCyberQuake

TheCyberQuake Certified Geek

Dec 2, 2014
    United States
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    The 3ds xl is just generally very quite compared to other Nintendo handheld consoles. I've even had it to where I have a hard time hearing some games through headphones when in a loud environment. I just recently used my DSL for the first time in a couple years and remembered the fact that the 3ds xl is quite again in comparison to other Handheld consoles, EVEN through the headphones. So I almost wish there was a homebrew app (even if it was just a cia version) to somehow pump more volume into the console.

20. SG6000

SG6000 GBAtemp Regular

Nov 2, 2015
    One thing that suggested to me that the low audio volume of the 3DS was a more of a software issue than a hardware one is the fact that Retroarch supports massively increasing the sound level output.

I have my Retroarch audio settings at +10db which comfortably outdoes the normal theme / regular software audio levels to something more acceptable.