Any GB/GBC save dumper able to write back save?

Discussion in 'Other Handhelds' started by razenxd, Jul 22, 2017.

1. razenxd
    OP

razenxd Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 6, 2013
    Greece
    Sorry if question was already answered(bet it was) but while searching wasn't came across my question.
    Do any GB/GBC Catridge save backups are able to write the save back to an original cartridge?
    Looking that for a friend of mine who wants to keep playing/saving on catridge.
    I tried to convince him to just take a device to backup saves regularly from his cartridge and when it goes off just to continue to emulator but he don't like that option.
    So What he want's is a device that would allow him to write back the save stored, to the same cartridge after battery change.
    I've seen on a youtube video that Mega Memory Card does that, but still not sure cause video wasn't clear enough on that.
    Is there any cheaper alternative to mmc or any device that could do the thing that he wants?
    Regards

2. Knight of Time

Knight of Time Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 19, 2015
    Canada
    The only other thing I know of besides the Mega Memory Card that can backup and restore GB/GBC saves is this device called the Retrode2 (if you've heard of the Retrode this is an upgraded version). The device doesn't support those kind of games on its own though, but you can buy plugins for it (one of them supports GB, GBC and GBA games). If you have a Retrode2 and a GBx plugin, you can backup and restore your GB/GBC saves (unfortunately, you might have a hard time finding a Retrode2 these days. The website that you can find them on, called DragonBox, is unfortunately out of them at the moment, but I presume they'll be back there someday).

3. razenxd
    OP

razenxd Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 6, 2013
    Greece
    Allright thanks for mentioning it.
    I came across with that a little bit awhile.
    https://www.insidegadgets.com/projects/gbxcart-rw/

Seems that can do the job my friends needs another user on reddit reported that works as intended so maybe that's the thing he is looking for

4. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    a n64 with everdrive (+transfer pack) also got the habitability to write the saves into real GB\GBC cartridges...

for gba it is much easier, just need a NDS (phat or lite) and a NDS flashcart

Last edited by migles, Jul 22, 2017
    elBenyo and zfreeman like this.
  5. Bent

Bent GBAtemp Regular

Nov 6, 2002
    United States
    Check out this guy's hardware.

https://www.insidegadgets.com/projects/gameboy-cart-shield/

He has two different devices, a shield for an Arduino that can read/write saves and ROM, and a standalone version of the device that doesn't require an Arduino. I have the Arduino shield, but it appears the standalone is a bit more capable since it supports GBA as well as GB/GBC.

EDIT: Ninja'd. But yeah, this is a great little device.

Last edited by Bent, Jul 22, 2017