Question Another update question

Discussion in 'Switch - Hacking & Homebrew' started by fisher6, Jul 14, 2017.

1. fisher6
    OP

fisher6 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 14, 2017
    United States
    I got a switch earlier this week and Zelda along with it. I'm a PC gamer so my Switch is only used as a portable console on the go and I love it so far.

It shipped with version 2.1 and I haven't updated it despite the constant nagging. I'm not able to access the eshop and this is tempting me to update as I wanna buy some games online like Mario Kart 8.

Would you guys recommend me to update? I will definitely be hacking my Switch once it happens (loved the homebrew scene on the first PSP) but I'm not sure if it would be from version 3 and up. What do you guys think? I know the kernel has been dumped and what not but I'm not sure on which version of the firmware that was done.

Thanks for any in advance.

2. Meeooww

Meeooww Member

Newcomer
    Aug 13, 2012
    United States
    OwO
    yes

whateverg1012 likes this.
  3. fisher6
    OP

fisher6 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 14, 2017
    United States
    Another question: would I be able to buy a japanese game code from Amazon Japan and use on my Switch? I know people have been buying eshop credits but why not just buy the game code directly?

4. Nekomaru

Nekomaru Member

Newcomer
    Jul 14, 2017
    Germany
    1. 2.1 and 3.0 use the same PegaSwitch version. Despite stabilization of a single sysmodule in 3.0 there is no difference in performance.

2. The news of dumping the kernel got out after the rollout of 3.0 so it's quite likely the current version is being worked on. Besides it's unlikely Nintendo stabilized the kernel on it's own considering rewards in their white hat program (Kernel Vulnerability would've hit the jackpot).

3. You can play Splatoon 2 demo for 12 hours free of charge on 3.0. Not to mention other online functionality. Sounds like a sweet deal, doesn't it? I also witnessed faster connection speeds on 3.0. Newer games will require higher OS versions sooner or later.

Still the decision and it's consequences are all yours... Anyway, just have fun, it's the purpose of Switch whatsoever.

Sonic Angel Knight likes this.
  5. HaloEliteLegend

HaloEliteLegend ~Apprentice Game Designer~

Oct 17, 2015
    United States
    Seattle, WA
    I'm of the mind that updating would be a good idea at least until the release their new online service. I'm gonna bet that online play will get an overhaul once that and their mobile app is up. Since the Switch is so barebones right now like the 3DS was at launch, it'll take some time before the console gets its full feature set. Here's hoping future homebrew is able to catch up. But yeah, update just for better usability with your Switch, because I think it's gonna be a good while until homebrew is possible.

6. mech

mech ♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️

Oct 26, 2014
    Tuvalu
    Mine came with 2.1 also but I'm happy buying carts for games for now and leaving it on 2.1.

7. Chizko

Chizko GBAtemp Regular

Jan 24, 2015
    Chile
    ???? ??? ???
    I thing is better have 3.0 now because have many fix and the only useful exploit for navigate still work. And i thing all updates for this year can be necesaries for the future games and maybe next year are more recommended to stay whit out update.

8. alepman90

alepman90 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 10, 2014
    Update it now before it's too late for one reason SD card,inserting new SD card forced me to update from 2.1 to 3.0

9. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft GBAtemp Addict

Mar 8, 2012
    United States
    Should be able to. You'll need to set up a Japanese account, obviously.

10. fisher6
    OP

fisher6 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 14, 2017
    United States
    Thanks, I will probably try that. I will probably end up updating to 3.0 too.

11. DocAmes1980

DocAmes1980 GBAtemp Fan

Oct 31, 2016
    United States
    I think it would be advantageous to update to 3.0.0 while you still can. Games that come on cards can still require a higher firmware than 2.1.

12. mech

mech ♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️

Oct 26, 2014
    Tuvalu
    Fair enough, 3.0 it is then.

13. Noctosphere

Noctosphere Moon furries | Official follower of Skiddon't-ism

Dec 30, 2013
    Canada
    Between three furries women
    If it requires an update for a cartridge game, isnt the update included in the cartridge?

14. DocAmes1980

DocAmes1980 GBAtemp Fan

Oct 31, 2016
    United States
    Yes. I was just pointing out the fact that game cards can require a minimum system version. The guy I was replying to seemed to be under the impression that he could keep playing new releases on system version 2.1.0 if they were on cards.

15. mech

mech ♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️

Oct 26, 2014
    Tuvalu
    I went with 3.0 just for larger micro SD card support.

16. aut0mat3d

aut0mat3d GBAtemp Regular

Mar 15, 2017
    Australia
    If you had formatted it to FAT32 you would not had to upgrade ;)

17. alepman90

alepman90 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 10, 2014
    Welp hope i knew that before,thought the update is for authorizing the SD card.Anyway i'm on 3.0 atm and leaving it on there

aut0mat3d likes this.