Homebrew Question Android games on Switch?

realrj

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey guys =)

I recently stumbled upon some threads elsewhere where they were discussing Android on the SWitch and whatnot. My question is, is it really possible to install an android emulator or something like that on the switch and run android games?
(I would LOVE to play android version FF6 on my switch )

Thank you very much

LeMageFro

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Last edited by LeMageFro,

Basketto

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
It is very possible, I use switchroot a fair bit and as far as emulation and games it is my prefered system right now. Many android games run perfectly. Also just fyi it runs as a dual boot OS, not a standard emulator.

Last edited by Basketto,

LeMageFro

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hmm I only have a laptop running Windows 10 so I guess I'm screwed for both in the same sd :/
You can install Linux on a virtual machine (https://itsfoss.com/install-linux-in-virtualbox/) or install it on a USB stick and boot it on your laptop.
In my case the virtual machine wouldn't recognize my laptop's SD card reader so I had to do the later, but it's not that hard and it was definitely worth it.

realrj

OP
Trophies
XP
Country

I never ever worked with Linux and I'm still new to the switch scene (even though I am very comfortable with the 3ds scene) I only got my switch 2 months ago.
So I'm still very afraid of messing with installations and all.

I have kosmos installed with atmosphere running and auto RCM enabled.

Let's see if I can follow the guides comfortably without the risk of bricking anything.

LeMageFro

Trophies
XP
Country
France

I never ever worked with Linux and I'm still new to the switch scene (even though I am very comfortable with the 3ds scene) I only got my switch 2 months ago.
So I'm still very afraid of messing with installations and all.

I have kosmos installed with atmosphere running and auto RCM enabled.

Let's see if I can follow the guides comfortably without the risk of bricking anything.
Don't worry nothing in either of these tutorials will have you modify the system memory of your Switch, everything happens on the SD card, so there is literally no possibility of brick.
But I thing you may have gotten confused about the tutorial to have both emuMMC and switch on the same SD card since you never mentioned using emuMMC ; if all you want is to use atmosphere booted from you system memory and android both at the same time it won't require Linux.

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is a lot of effort to get usable FAT32 space and Android on the same SD card, even more to get emummc. Plus while in Android you won't be able to access the FAT32 space anyway. Starting out I simply wouldn't bother, use a separate SD card for Android using one of the pre-baked images and just flash it with Balena Etcher. The android experience on Switch can be slow and unresponsive so you might not care for it much, better to try it out before going through all those hoops.

Last edited by Rahkeesh,

LeMageFro

Trophies
XP
Country
France
It is a lot of effort to get usable FAT32 space and Android on the same SD card, even more to get emummc. Plus while in Android you won't be able to access the FAT32 space anyway. Starting out I simply wouldn't bother, use a separate SD card for Android using one of the pre-baked images and just flash it with Balena Etcher. The android experience on Switch can be slow and unresponsive so you might not care for it much, better to try it out before going through all those hoops.
True, I agree that it's a good idea to first try android on a dedicated sd card to set it up quickly and see if it's satisfying enough. I wouldn't say that getting the dual boot that much effort though, and it's a great opportunity to start getting familiar with Linux and different tools available to manipulate disk partitions, which is always handy. To me it would be much more effort having to swap my SD card every time I want to watch twitch on my switch than it was going through the tutorial once.
Also the performance of android on the switch is highly dependent on your SD, so in order to have a good experience it may be worth trying to set it up on different SD cards to see which one is the best.

Last edited by LeMageFro,

RHOPKINS13

Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Definitely use a separate microSD card for Android. Android on Switch is experimental at best and it's amazing when it works, but very frustrating when it doesn't. Having a separate microSD for Android will make it easier in the future if you want to try a new switchroot image and don't want to worry about losing everything switch-related on your card.

realrj

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks a lot for all your input guys :D

I happen to have a spare 128 GB card I used to have on the switch before switching to 256gb. I'll use that one then.

So basically, I follow the tutorial to add the 128gb image on the new sd card and then I boot up using the same fusee-primary I use on the other sdcard?

Thanks guys :)

pcwizard7

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
i ve follow the video guide and there was only one screw up in it but here's what you need to do is choose how big u want the fat32 partition to be for use with atmos on system and the size of userdata partition this is used for the android os where it stores your apps, games and personal data. the other partitions can be left to how the video saids
https://gbatemp.net/threads/setup-g...id-with-emummc-bigger-fat32-partition.544981/

if you want to use a virtual box used ubuntu v18.04 not 19
https://itsfoss.com/install-linux-in-virtualbox/

you could also run ubuntu off DVD which just creates a temporary environment and is gone after you reboot it. u can install it to a usb and is only useable if the stick is plug in and is gone once its unplugged

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Batman joined the Trans Justice League
    +2
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    based af
    +2
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Forget the base, get on the roof.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Is that a bat in your buckle or are you just happy to have me
    Wonder "Woman" lol you wonder if they are a woman?
    The Riddler has questions...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Played a little of snow day glad I didn't spend $30
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's asthetic is okay maybe a good $10 grab
    Lol is it a game about doing cocaine?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably in pvp
    I tried Balders Gate II on the PS2 a few minutes ago, not bad lol
    My back catalog of games is like that scene at the end of Indiana Jones where the arc of the covenant is being stored in a giant ass warehouse
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    At least I can will my game catalog to family members
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's your problem now bitches
    Put it in your will that in order to receive any money they have to beat certain games, hard games and super shitty games...
    Say 20 bucks per Ninja Gaiden on the NES lol 60 bucks for all 3
    People you like "Beat level 1 of Ms Pacman" lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Hello kitty ds is required
    +1
    Beat Celebrity Death Match on the PS1 omg tried it earlier today .... Absolutely trash
    Like -37 out of 10
    One of the worst games I have ever played
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make them rank up every cod game out
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    "Now I know why he took his own life"
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: "Now I know why he took his own life"