NULL

Suggestion An Kip to set fan speed

Discussion in 'Switch - Emulation, Homebrew & Software Projects' started by SwitchMods, Jun 11, 2019.

1. SwitchMods
    OP

SwitchMods Member

Newcomer
    Aug 27, 2018
    Netherlands
    For paranoid people (like me), is possible to develop a KIP to automatically/manually set the fan speed? Something like the one from webman-mod on PS3.

it also would be cool, to have a popup that display the current temperature (again, something similar to webman-mod on PS3).

maybe @XorTroll and/or @m4xw can have a look at this? thank you buddy.

EDIT: ah, worth noting: I don't care a f**k about fan noise, what it is important for me is the temperature.

Last edited by SwitchMods, Jun 11, 2019
    NoNAND likes this.
  2. XorTroll

XorTroll Dev: Goldleaf, emuiibo, Brew.js...

Dec 28, 2017
    Spain
    Nowhere
    Well unsure about that, not sure whether that can be adjusted by code

NoNAND likes this.
  3. SwitchMods
    OP

SwitchMods Member

Newcomer
    Aug 27, 2018
    Netherlands
    Well, I guess that the fan is controlled by the kernel in some way (otherwise it would be always on) or by some controller on the motherboard, so I think that with some research this can be done.

4. ZachyCatGames

ZachyCatGames GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jun 19, 2018
    United States
    Hell
    It’s probably controlled by a sysmodule, like everything else. If this is the case, you could probably patch said sysmodule (though I personally don’t see the point as Nintendo’s fan speeds work fine)

NoNAND and SwitchMods like this.
  5. SwitchMods
    OP

SwitchMods Member

Newcomer
    Aug 27, 2018
    Netherlands
    Yeah, at least a popup with the current temp would be great to have.

6. NoNAND

NoNAND Fading into obscurity as the days pass by....

Aug 22, 2015
    Antarctica
    My existential nightmare
    I have to say a temperature monitoring app would be quite useful to us.
    But an app that controls the speed of fans could be difficult to code for with the few resources and knowledge in that regard
    I'm assuming this gets controlled by the kernel and some proprietary "nintendo" drivers.
    But then again the switch is a tegra x1 custom tablet, assuming if the fans are adjusted and controlled on a hardware level rather than the OS (which I personally don't think is the case) it could be possible to make an app or perhaps even a device that you could solder onto the motherboard with which you could adjust the fan speeds with.