Homebrew An Exception has Occured Arm9

Archerg

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I've seemed to hit a brick wall and don't know what else to do.

Recently I imported a snazzy Japanese kingdom hearts o3ds and ctrtransfered my region from JPN to US. now when I try to boot up some US games I downloaded, I'm greeted with a message saying an exception has occurred and the source is a prefetch abort (svcbreak). would it help to send in a crash report or take a picture of the error? Im a little unfamiliar with hacking, but i know my way around computers and systems well enough. any help would be greatly appreciated as id love to continue playing games like captain toad or smash bros.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You are missing some USA region specific system titles when you CTRTransfer to JPN region.
Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance is available in English. Why not play the USA release on USA 3DS firmware?

To fix whichever region firmware you're using for out of region games, see the section Locale Emulation.

Archerg

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What I was aiming for was changing the region of my japanese firmware 3ds to a US region so I could play US games digitally, as well as my US physical copy of dream drop distance. But would it simply be easier to CTRTransfer back to japanese, set the language to english, and let luma3ds do the locale emulation for me? By the way, I hacked it using soundhax, and am on the latest firmware as well as the latest luma

Last edited by Archerg,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What I was aiming for was changing the region of my japanese firmware 3ds to a US region so I could play US games digitally, as well as my US physical copy of dream drop distance. But would it simply be easier to CTRTransfer back to japanese, set the language to english, and let luma3ds do the locale emulation for me? By the way, I hacked it using soundhax, and am on the latest firmware as well as the latest luma
Oooohh, your o3DS is a Kingdom Hearts special edition. Wow, I misread your first post and thought you CTRTransfer a USA o3DS to JPN firmware to play a JPN cart of that game.

I may have a clue as to why your JPN o3DS that was region changed to USA 3DS firmware is failing to launch games.
  1. In GodMode9, go to the [1:] SYSNAND CTRNAND/rw/sys directory. Look for the presence of the file named SecureInfo_C.
    • If you see SecureInfo_A or SecureInfo_B, that's great. What you want to look for is the *_C version.

Archerg

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry about the wait, but when I checked, it looks like I have both a secureinfo_A as well as a secureinfo_C. Should I delete one? Also, when dealing with the secureinfos, doesnt that involve methods from plailects 2016 guide, since I used his 2018 guide on 3ds.hacks.guide. is the newer one less completely, or would it be wise to mix the two guides?

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry about the wait, but when I checked, it looks like I have both a secureinfo_A as well as a secureinfo_C. Should I delete one? Also, when dealing with the secureinfos, doesnt that involve methods from plailects 2016 guide, since I used his 2018 guide on 3ds.hacks.guide. is the newer one less completely, or would it be wise to mix the two guides?
Keep both SecureInfo_A and SecureInfo_C. No deleting them! The presence of *_C was to check if the CTRTransfer did its job in region changing the 3DS firmware. The *_C version is a copy of the original *_A with a single hex value change at 0x100. Nah, don't mix and match guides.

Edit - Luma3DS will default to using *_C if it's present. The invention of *_C is to avoid editing *_A.

Secure-Info-Region.png

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

Archerg

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I checked and youre absolutely right! Shoot, i guess that route didn't lead anywhere. would there be any other suggestions as to why this would be only crashing some US games and not others?

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I checked and youre absolutely right! Shoot, i guess that route didn't lead anywhere. would there be any other suggestions as to why this would be only crashing some US games and not others?
To be honest, I haven't a clue. Funny enough, you're not the only person who's recently experiencing cross regional incompatibilities. Calling @FeroX as this probably applies to you, too.
If I come up with some ideas by tomorrow morning (eastern time), I'll inform you. Not quite sure how one will have to approach this problem [3DS firmware or games].

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Archerg, can you list several of the games (& their region) that are crashing?
Did you acquire those problematic games from Nintendo eShop or at those [...] sites?

While connected online, try this with the FBI app:
  • FBI → Titles → Name of Game → Import Seed

Archerg

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@TurdPooCharger upon checking the rest of my apps, the ones that are installed and crash are super smash bros, super mario maker, pokemon ultra sun, and captain toad, while all others seem to load normally. I think I heard that some of these are specifically region locked with a bit more encryption, but I also tried downloading both region free cias as well as the US versions and tried different combinations of the luma locale switcher, but all of the results is the same exception error. the only different result is when enabling game patching on luma3ds, I just get a black screen that I eventually have to force shutdown on.

oh, and ill I get when importing any of the seeds is a message stating it failed. this could be possible because the one sim trying to fix don't have any seeds, but I'm not sure.

and thank you for all the help with this, I don't know what I would do without the help of the homebrew community.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Just for a note, this is the error

Attachments

• 20181222_155810.jpg
    20181222_155810.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 147
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@TurdPooCharger upon checking the rest of my apps, the ones that are installed and crash are super smash bros, super mario maker, pokemon ultra sun, and captain toad, while all others seem to load normally. I think I heard that some of these are specifically region locked with a bit more encryption, but I also tried downloading both region free cias as well as the US versions and tried different combinations of the luma locale switcher, but all of the results is the same exception error. the only different result is when enabling game patching on luma3ds, I just get a black screen that I eventually have to force shutdown on.

oh, and ill I get when importing any of the seeds is a message stating it failed. this could be possible because the one sim trying to fix don't have any seeds, but I'm not sure.

and thank you for all the help with this, I don't know what I would do without the help of the homebrew community.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Just for a note, this is the error

1A. Take a spare SD card (minimum 4–8 GB),
or​
1B. Take the current main SD card,
copy everything off onto a computer.​

2. Reformat it as FAT32 + 32 KB cluster size with Windows File Explorer or guiformat (if bigger than 32 GB).
3. Full Write + Verify Test the empty card with H2testw for hardware defects. Do not skip this step.
4. If the card passes, delete the *.h2w test files.
  • If an error was reported, you may stop the test. Replace the failed card and go back to step 1.
5. Make a test custom firmware setup with the starter kit found here. Do not use files from your main setup for the time being.
6. Add the smallest sized *.cia for one of the problematic games onto the card.
  • You can add more "bad" games and repeat the process on them for the later steps 10-11.

7. Go to this website, download the file, and place it on the card at:

8. Insert the card into the 3DS, turn on the system, and hold (Select) to access Luma3DS v9.1 configuration. Use these settings:
luma_config.png

9. Press and hold (Start) to access Luma3DS chainloader. Launch GodMode9.

10. Go to the *.cia, press (A) → CIA image options... → Decrypt file (...) → Decrypt inplace.
  • If it states "File is not encrypted", this is fine. This is to check if the *.cia is encrypted, which won't work for later installation.
11. Press (A) again → CIA image options... → Verify file.
  • :!: If it does not state "Verifcation success", the *.cia file in question is corrupt.

12. If you're not familiar with Rosalina injection for Homebrew Launcher, watch this quick tutorial:
13. Install the example game with FBI, and check if the game works.​

This entire exercise is to rule out problems with the SD card, custom firmware setup on the card, and the CIA file itself.
Should the 3DS still fail to play your game(s) of choice, that means there's something wrong with the 3DS firmware.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Worst MS OS in history. Period.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My entertainment centers blocking all my io gotta fix that eventually
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I had used win 98 SE till XP arrived
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Had a ton of bugs and often crashed. It even didn't support DOS compatibility with older games. :feelsbadman:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I only grew up with Windows XP because I was lucky.
    I downloaded XP on dialup when it came out. Overnights for like a week. cuz I couldn't tie up the phone line during the day. It was so awesome and worked so great going from ME to XP.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Vga pins were a dick
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I kind of want down a large pizza at 10am then crash out
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Having pizza all day? done it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah pizza hut open at 10:30
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    just buy a stack of pizza and keep the rest you don't need yet frozen
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or buy frozen pizza
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I buy the regular kind, not the frozen stuff
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    supermarket pizza is ass
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    x65 would just yell at me
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sounds ok, he didn't pull a gun out ,so...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $12 large any style pizza deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Each bite is a $1 well spent
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, Agreed. I hate oven pizza, only from pizza place.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I can still go for totinos
    i like totinos party pizzas. lol.
    the cracker-like crust is great on those
    My neighbor and I are going to make this next month....
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Tiger crust is great.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Tiger crust is great.