Misc "An error occurred (ErrDisp)" Help Please!

Nyaako

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Firmware: 11.14
Luma3DS build v10.2.1-b83a0abb (https://github.com/hax0kartik/luma-hourlies/releases/tag/246-luma3ds-b83a0ab)

Error type: generic

Process ID: 39
Process name: Iron16
Process title ID: 0x00040000001b4000

Address: 0x0020d4c4
Error code: 0xd900458b

This happened while trying to play Fire Emblem Echoes NA DLC: Siege of Zofia Castle and crashes upon skipping dialogue at the very start.

I've already tried using Luma3DS from the official releases (https://github.com/LumaTeam/Luma3DS/releases/tag/v10.2.1), but still doesn't work.

Ikeaner

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hey there, I'm having this exact issue right now, I'm on Luma3DS 11, latest release, and the latest Firmware. I'm just trying to play Echoes from my official cartridge I own, but the crashes keep ocurring after the game has been running a little bit.

Did you ever find a fix?

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey there, I'm having this exact issue right now, I'm on Luma3DS 11, latest release, and the latest Firmware. I'm just trying to play Echoes from my official cartridge I own, but the crashes keep ocurring after the game has been running a little bit.

Did you ever find a fix?
ErrDisp errors are unrelated to Luma3DS. Do you have any FE hacks, mod or patches installed?
Does the error appear randomly in the game or in specific situations?
It could be your cartridge, you can try installing the game (with GodMode9) and trying again..

Ikeaner

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
ErrDisp errors are unrelated to Luma3DS. Do you have any FE hacks, mod or patches installed?
Does the error appear randomly in the game or in specific situations?
It could be your cartridge, you can try installing the game (with GodMode9) and trying again..
Hey, thanks for the reply. I do not have any hacks mods or patches, I'm using my physical copy with which I had completed the game once, years ago (before I installed CFW).

The error appears at random points, it did occurr in the opening cutscenes, at the start of combat or during normal conversation.

I did dump the cartridge into a .cia file and installed it with FBI, but received a crash as well. It ocurred a little bit later than it ocurred with the physical copy, but it still did.

I will now try reformatting the SD card in case data got corrupted on it, as well as checking it with that tool that fills the card to check whether it's healthy.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, thanks for the reply. I do not have any hacks mods or patches, I'm using my physical copy with which I had completed the game once, years ago (before I installed CFW).
Ok, i suggest backing up your cartridge save with either Checkpoint or JKSM, the extdata too if FE uses it. There's a chance of save corruption causing the error so make sure to back up both just in case.
The error appears at random points, it did occurr in the opening cutscenes, at the start of combat or during normal conversation.
Just to be clear, you're having this issue just with this game, right?
I did dump the cartridge into a .cia file and installed it with FBI, but received a crash as well. It ocurred a little bit later than it ocurred with the physical copy, but it still did.
Ok, you can either try comparing the hash of your cia (dump) file with the hash of a known verified cart dump. Make sure it's the same region/release as your cart.
Or, you can acquire the digital version (or a cia file) of the game and install it, run and try the game without restoring your save -make sure the digital version you're installing is for the same region as your cartridge, so it'd compatible with your save-.. Then after you confirm there's no errors, restore your save (not extdata) and test again, if it didn't you any errors restore the extdata (if it has any) and try again.
If the digital version worked with both your save and extdata then your cart might be corrupted, one way to know for sure is to compare the hash as mentioned earlier..
I will now try reformatting the SD card in case data got corrupted on it, as well as checking it with that tool that fills the card to check whether it's healthy.
Yes, h2testw. Though it seems unlikely to be an sd card issue if you're having issues just with this one game (cartridge). Nevertheless it wouldn't if you wanted to check it to know for sure, just make sure to format the sd card as Fat32 32kb cluster size before and after the test, then run it with the "read & verify" option.

Ikeaner

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Just to be clear, you're having this issue just with this game, right?
Yes, I've been playing GBA VC titles, TwilightMenu++ emulated DS titles as well as DS cartridge games, just popped in Pokémon Sun to check, and it didn't crash either. This is only happening with FE Echoes.

Yes, h2testw. Though it seems unlikely to be an sd card issue if you're having issues just with this one game (cartridge). Nevertheless it wouldn't if you wanted to check it to know for sure, just make sure to format the sd card as Fat32 32kb cluster size before and after the test, then run it with the "read & verify" option.
You were right, h2testw didn't find an issue.

Ok, you can either try comparing the hash of your cia (dump) file with the hash of a known verified cart dump. Make sure it's the same region/release as your cart.
The checksums weren't the same (did it with Windows cmd line and CertUtil), but I think that may have been because my dump was "trimmed". Also wondering, how do updates relate to this? Would an updated game have a different checksum to an un-updated one? Because the "clean" CIA was version 1.0, while the dumped CIA was the update 1.1.

Or, you can acquire the digital version (or a cia file) of the game and install it, run and try the game without restoring your save -make sure the digital version you're installing is for the same region as your cartridge, so it'd compatible with your save-.. Then after you confirm there's no errors, restore your save (not extdata) and test again, if it didn't you any errors restore the extdata (if it has any) and try again.
If the digital version worked with both your save and extdata then your cart might be corrupted, one way to know for sure is to compare the hash as mentioned earlier.
So I installed it with a CIA from the web and it ran without issue. Next I backed up the save files and extra data from my cartridge and applied them to the digital copy. So far it's also been running without issue.

As far as I've been following, this means my cartridge is corrupted. I find this a bit hard to accept, just because it's been played once, and since then has been sitting inside its box for a few years. I'm not sure where the corruption could have happened honestly.

The digital version did ask me to install an update, the cartridge version was already updated. Maybe the update data for the cartridge installation went corrupt at some point?

Either way though; Thank you so much for you help with this!

Reactions: CoolMe

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The checksums weren't the same (did it with Windows cmd line and CertUtil), but I think that may have been because my dump was "trimmed".
There's no trimming when it comes to 3DS games.
Also wondering, how do updates relate to this? Would an updated game have a different checksum to an un-updated one? Because the "clean" CIA was version 1.0, while the dumped CIA was the update 1.1.
There can be multiple revisions to cartridge or game, both cartridge and eShop versions. You need to compare between one that's the release/revision as yours. There's a 3ds database online you can check.
As for the update, lacking update data wouldn't cause that error for the digital version specially, as for the cartridge' case you'd install the game update (the eShop will prompt you to) if it's not on the cart already..
So I installed it with a CIA from the web and it ran without issue. Next I backed up the save files and extra data from my cartridge and applied them to the digital copy. So far it's also been running without issue.
Good to know.
As far as I've been following, this means my cartridge is corrupted. I find this a bit hard to accept, just because it's been played once, and since then has been sitting inside its box for a few years. I'm not sure where the corruption could have happened honestly.
There has been a bad batch that was affected with corruption (news came out last year), and it is hardware related poor quality chips inside the carts, ORAS games are one them and i think one of the 1st Persona Q game iirc.
A friend here (@Kwyjor) reported that his Smash Bros copy got corrupted out of the blue.. We don't how many games could be affected, and there's certainly nothing to do about it once it happens, other than replacing these chips and with further troubleshooting..
The digital version did ask me to install an update, the cartridge version was already updated. Maybe the update data for the cartridge installation went corrupt at some point?
Maybe, but it could be anywhere really.
Either way though; Thank you so much for you help with this!
👍

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Imagine putting your butt near it :tpi: