Hacking Homebrew am i doing something wrong?

fatfrank

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Hi

i've read in many places that snes emulation is perfect on the psp, yet a bunch of games i tried lags, like kirby superstar or wild gun for example. I use a phat psp and snes9xTYL 0.4.2. ME, is that the latest version? If i could get a better snes emulation out of my psp, i'd be glad to learn how, thanks
smile.gif

-edit- Also, could anyone please explain to me the difference between the ME version and the regular version? I'm clueless

fatfrank

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
my memory card is an original sony 2GB. So snes9xTYL 0.4.2. ME is the latest version huh? I hope there's a way to fix this cause Kirby Superstar shouldn't be that hard to emulate. Thanks for the replies

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cause Kirby Superstar shouldn't be that hard to emulate.Â
Exactly what are you basing this off of? The graphics? The overall feel of the game? KSS is by no means a weak game. It uses the SA-1 coprocessor chip, which is 3 times faster than the SNES CPU itself. Furthermore, unlike many games that have speedhack entries in the "snesadvance.dat" file that improve speed, KSS has nothing. I tried speedhacking it recently, but all of my patches ended up breaking the game. I was able to speed up SMRPG and Kirby's Dream Land 3 successfully, but KSS did not work at all.

Sorry, but the whole "anything I don't understand must be easy to do" mentality kinda irks me somewhat.

In any case, that's the latest official version yes, but if you're using a Lite you may wish to look into Chilly Willy's port to see if it runs faster. I've also heard that if you have this "cwcheat" thing, you should disable it before running any SNES emulator to improve performance.

fatfrank

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
QUOTE said:
Sorry, but the whole "anything I don't understand must be easy to do" mentality kinda irks me somewhat. Well i didin't mean it like that, it's not about not understanding, it's about plain not knowing
smile.gif
. See now that you've explained it to me i understand perfectly. Also, i never said "This should be easy to resolve" i was just trying to get as much info possible QUOTEIt uses the SA-1 coprocessor chip, which is 3 times faster than the SNES CPU itself.
that i didin't know. I was thinking it shouldn't be that hard t o emulate because, yes, the graphics aren't that spectacular compared to other games i've emulated on the PSP. also it's not one of the latest snes game, but then so isin't Mario RPG, i guess i was just pissed and didin't think much about it before posting. So i guess i'll play Kirby on my good 'ol Pc, thanks all for the replies.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I apologize for sounding so rude in my last post.

Just for reference, a full list of games that use special coprocessor chips can be found at http://wiki.pocketheaven.com/SNES_games_with_special_chips if you are interested. Obviously not all of them will have issues on the PSP as they use different chips, but it's a useful list nonetheless.

Part of the problem is that all the SNES emulators for the PSP have been ports of SNES9x rather than being built for the PSP from the ground up. This impacts performance and makes it harder to achieve full speed with all games. I believe Chilly Willy might be working on his own made-from-scratch SNES emulator, though I'm not entirely sure about that.

EDIT: also, if you want to play SMRPG, open your snesadvance.dat file in Notepad, turn off Word Wrap, and add the following line where the SMRPG entry should go (if there's already one there, delete it and replace it with this one):
Code:
1B8A0625|Super Mario RPG - Legend of the|4|0|0|0|0|0|A41=42,302FF=42,202E9=42DB,9F5=42

I've heard that battles are still kinda slow with my patches but they do speed up the game enough to make it playable.

fatfrank

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
oh great, thanks Dan i'm getting more and more educated on the subject, i remember dreamign of having a portable SNES since i was 12 (i'm 22 now). So i'm glad to learn as much as possible about itM's emulation on psp, yet i can't find anything on google hat's recent, thank the lord for people like you who closely follow those topics. Now let's keep our fingers crossed for an original psp snes emulator
smile.gif

Lodis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oh great, thanks Dan i'm getting more and more educated on the subject, i remember dreamign of having a portable SNES since i was 12 (i'm 22 now). So i'm glad to learn as much as possible about itM's emulation on psp, yet i can't find anything on google hat's recent, thank the lord for people like you who closely follow those topics. Now let's keep our fingers crossed for an original psp snes emulator
smile.gif

A very well known and reliable Psp Dev (Chilly Willy Maxconsole) has been working on a Snes emulator that will be ported from newer source code.I would expect this to be alot faster than any of the current Snes TYL ports when this is released. The emulator he is coding from scratch is Sega CD.

linkinkid

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
also, for all of you SMRPG fans(like me) just change the frameskips for that game to 2,and enjoy!!! the game works pretty much perfect,even though you get a few slight slowdowns when the game has too many people in it(like in Nimbus land for example)

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
also, for all of you SMRPG fans(like me) just change the frameskips for that game to 2,and enjoy!!! the game works pretty much perfect,even though you get a few slight slowdowns when the game has too many people in it(like in Nimbus land for example)
Is this with or without the speedhacks I posted earlier in this thread?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.