All ROMs are illegal

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by golden, Apr 18, 2009.

Apr 18, 2009

All ROMs are illegal by golden at 7:49 AM (3,345 Views / 0 Likes) 45 replies

1. golden
    OP

Member golden What a Digital Dummy!!!

United States
    I have wondered this question for a very very long time and finally decided to ask about it. Why do people that live in the US think it's perfectly legal and fine to own a ROM/ISO image of a game that they own? It's not. It has been illegal to own any kind of game ROM/ISO since a court ruling in 1983 so anyone that has ROM/ISO images whether they own them or not and live in the US are just as liable under the law as a complete pirate. Why do you think people think it's completely legal and fine to own copies of games that they own? Are they just ignorant and don't know that they are breaking the law? I have met people that don't care if they are pirates or not but I have met people that try to justify that owning the game makes it 100% legal when it is in fact illegal. What's your take on this?

Proof:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ROM_image#Private_ownership

2. UltraMagnus

Member UltraMagnus hic sunt dracones

United Kingdom
    and?

the bigger question is, who cares?

3. tj_cool

Supervisor tj_cool Stuff

Belgium
    Yeah, they're illegal here as well, so?

4. InuYasha

Member InuYasha Professional Coke Fiend

United States
    This topic is pointless,people pirate for various reasons and don't care and whats even worse is people keep making topics like this on various forums trying to convert them or start a flame war,honestly if your an anti-pirate type then your on the wrong forum.....

5. Smuff

Member Smuff Fossilized Gamer

United Kingdom
    Oh God, it's another Jehova's Witness of a thread....... knocking on "my door" and telling me how what I am doing is wrong, and I should behave in this way or that way.......

BOG OFF !!!!!

Go do your soul-searching somewhere else, and leave the rest of us hellbound pirates to collect kindling for the afterlife.............

Now to post a new topic........

"MURDER IS WRONG ? DO YOU NOT REALISE THAT, YOU STUPID IDIOT ?"
    [​IMG]

6. Minox

Supervisor Minox Spytech Employee

Sweden
    Roms are illegal? Oh noes, I never realised that!
    [/sarcasm]

>_>

7. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Just thought I would step in to say
    step 1) Ignore all things wikipedia has to say about the law* and do a proper search.

*it would be for the best if this extended to most of science/engineering, technology, politics, geography and history. Seen as that just about covers ever area of human endeavour or otherwise it would probably just be safer to say ignore wikipedia.

Step 2) Copyright law is a huge mess, trying to understand it has caused serious injury/boredom to those that did.

Step 3) decide the only laws really worth considering are the laws of physics and enjoy a happy life.

8. paul3100

Member paul3100 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    yeah who cares tbh? not me!!!

Anyway if i owned a game legally and wanted the rom/iso of it for backup then F**K the law as i should be entitled to do as i with with what i own as long as i don't give it to anyone else! American law is dumb anyway lol

paul

9. jesuschristmonke

Member jesuschristmonke GBAtemp Regular

United States
    A complete pirate you say.

As opposed to a partial pirate? Like the one with wooden legs and a hook?

10. jesuschristmonke

United States
    Coming from a native of the country where it's illegal to photograph police? Or even put up a barbed wire fence on account of possibly injuring an intruder?

Yeah, UK law is brilliant in comparison.

11. purplesludge

Member purplesludge anyone have any ideas for this space

United States
    It is perfectly fine to own a rom/iso of a game I own. Just as it is to rip a copy of a cd/dvd. I am even allowed to make backup copies of my pc games for personal use.

Also lols at 1983 which is 26 years ago. Dumping atari games. It was probably illegal back then because you needed extra hardware. Lols at magnetic media. Cassette tapes really.

12. jesuschristmonke

United States
    Not so. Bypassing copy protections (remember, even DVDs have CSS) is a violation of the DMCA.

You can thank megawealthy corporate IP holders and the pliant Congress that agrees with them.

13. zidane_genome

Member zidane_genome My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?

United States

You cannot put them onto OTHER CARTRIDGES!! This says nothing about putting them on a PC and using the raw binarys, or putting them on a console they were not meant to be on (XBOX+Emu, or Wii+Emu).

You need to actually read and understand what is meant. I can have a million ROMs, and as long as they are not on a cartridge that they would have normally been on, I'm safe. That means no GBA games on a GBA cart, no DS games on a DS cart.

And this ruling was because the microchips that contain the game weren't as fragile as magnetic tape games. I think the ruling will be modified if someone had the balls to do so due to CD/DVD's being very fragile, and even one scratch can leave a game worthless. I'd actually like to see someone sue a game manufacturer for a replacement disc... that would open up a whole new can of worms!

14. paul3100

Member paul3100 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    Lol i new id get a reaction adding that little tit bit at the end!

The main reason behind that remark is that every american is allowed to own a GUN! Great idea that NOT!! and other reasons but this isn't the time.

Back on tipic then....

15. B-Blue

Member B-Blue im a slut

Guys, I think you got him wrong.
    He's saying that making a backup of a game you own is still illegal. It's still called pirating.
    I totally agree with him.

/summary

16. jesuschristmonke

United States

Despite what the Telly says, more people have been killed in UK soccer riots than the average Americans gun.

17. purplesludge

Member purplesludge anyone have any ideas for this space

United States
    As far as I know no one has ever been successfully sued for making backups. Can someone disprove this?

18. ether2802

Former Staff ether2802 we have the techno...!!

Mexico
    [​IMG] is this for true..?? shit....and you call your countrys FREE...?? damn I rather stay in México where the freedom DOES EXIST..!! (of course it is a big mess here, but as long as we have money to buy beer - DVD's - and go to the theatre, no one cares the mess [​IMG] )

19. juggernaut911

Member juggernaut911 GBAtemp Slut!

United States
    OSHI! really?! and for such a gay sport, lolz

well, Obummer is trying to change the gun laws (2nd amendment) but rewriting the American Constitution is just unbelievably stupid of him. 4 months of him and he's already spend almost as much or more than Bush and barely made an effect... one of the payments was to pay for a rave party of a inauguration with Beyonce and racism.

ONTOPIC: well, I think the Copyright laws are really jacked up as stated before. There really is no clear answer, just the one the government can get you on.

@ether2802: well, now that all the Mexicans are flooding into the USA and screwing up crap, I guess you'll have less people to stuff with! [​IMG]

20. myuusmeow

Member myuusmeow GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    How did this turn into a my country is better than yours thread?