After Effects Render HUGE

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by CheatingSoi, Apr 2, 2016.

1. CheatingSoi
    OP

CheatingSoi Graphic Designer

Apr 4, 2007
    United States
    Wisconsin
    I am editing a video in After Effects. All of the raw video files can't add up to be more than 5GB. I render as quicktime and choose H.264. But the output file ends up being about 30GB. Why is this? I thought this was supposed to be compressed. I can't seem to understand how it would be this massive. Does anyone have any tips?

2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Are you increasing the resolution by some manner? What is the source material like? 5 gigs is a reasonable amount of space but not that much for 1080p video (neither is 30 for that matter), and thus if your 1080p video is a bit noisy the encoder will also try to encode that noise again and leave you with a massive render. Similarly are any of your after effects settings doing anything fun like framerate doubling/motion interpolation, noise filters, something that makes a lot of noise on the frame...

What are your precise output settings? H264 says not a lot as it encompasses a whole range, starting from near lossless (or theoretically lossless) and going to hyper compressed stuff. Similarly if you have a minimum bitrate set it will play to it.

3. TheGrayShow1467

TheGrayShow1467 屈折

Oct 12, 2014
    United States

I think I used this a while back. Give it a try and let me know how it goes for you.